Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 15th April 2019, 08:40 PM   #811
twluke is online now twluke  Japan
diyAudio Member

Cronus - It's about time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowli View Post
Okay, I have now put in the chip programmed with avrdude 6.3. Now it plays without noise. Do not know if it is a coincidence, not dared to restart DAC again. But listened for 1 hour now with pursync without a problem
Hi Micke,

Glad to hear that. It appears that the chip was accurately programmed. I also happened to find that the version of avrdude running on my ubuntu system for programming was 6.3.

Regards,
Old 11th June 2019, 11:51 AM   #812
nautibuoy is offline nautibuoy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

When will Cronus boards be available again?

Cheers
Old 11th June 2019, 01:06 PM   #813
BrianDonegan is offline BrianDonegan  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautibuoy View Post
When will Cronus boards be available again?
In the next week or two. Waiting for new batch of boards to arrive.
Old 11th June 2019, 02:02 PM   #814
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDonegan View Post
In the next week or two. Waiting for new batch of boards to arrive.
Thanks Brian. I think I need to order one.

I've been trying to make use of a Cronus/BBB Hermes combo I bought a while ago but have been having trouble getting anything to play on the BBB. After some back to basics troubleshooting I have found that there is only about 1.5V on the Rhea power pins of the Cronus and on pins 19 & 20 of the Cronus/Hermes interface header; I think that would result in a lack of clock signal to BBB, which would go a long way to understanding the playback problems I've been seeing.

It looks like the root cause is a fault with the regulator on the Cronus board. I think the soldering skills to repair the Cronus will be beyond my capability so I surmise a new board is required.

Does that sound about right?

Cheers
Old 13th June 2019, 02:55 AM   #815
Argeni is offline Argeni
diyAudio Member

"If the user have higher clocks, he will use the Cronus on-board divider. (/2 for 45/49 clocks and /4 for 90/98 clocks)." I read earlier in this thread.

Now I have an 22/24 source running together with 90/98 clocks and the BBB Hermes + Cronus. Everything runs fine with the /4 divider up to 192kHz sample rate, but with 352.8kHz there is no sound at all..

With the divider set to /2 I get stuttering sound at 352.8kHz.

With the divider set to /1 everything works as it should, no stuttering and correctly played music.

What is wrong here? Or maybe a better question is: Is there really something wrong here/is there a negative effect of having the divider at /1 with 90/98 clocks in combination with a 22/24 clock source?

Is the sound that is played now, because I use the divider at /1; reclocked incorrectly?

Why are the high sample rates only working with divider at /1 and not with /4 as it's supposed to be?
Old 23rd June 2019, 05:52 AM   #816
diyAudio Member

I want to thank Brian of TPA.

As a result of this post;

Brian sent me a replacement Cronus completely free of charge. He could have easily sold me another one, as I'm sure some sellers would. I think this speaks volumes for the integrity and great service that Twisted Pear represent.

The replacement Cronus was delivered yesterday and I now have a fully functioning BBB/Hermes/Cronus combo.

Thank you Brian.
Old 14th August 2019, 07:51 AM   #817
daansan is offline daansan
diyAudio Member

Is there any news on Hermes-RPI?
Old 14th August 2019, 10:49 PM   #818
BrianDonegan is offline BrianDonegan  United States
diyAudio Member

After straightening out a mixup with our board fab-house, the Cronus will finally be back in stock next week.

Cronus - It's about time.Hide this!Advertise here!