• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Cronus - It's about time.

MiniDsp USBSTREAMER - lock problems.

Hi,

I have not stable lock problems with the MiniDsp USBSTREAMER used with the buffalo III setted in mch ...
Marco

The MiniDSP USBStreamer has a LOT of jitter on its I2S outputs.
Try turning off oversampling on the Buffallo III. Perversely , This worked for me.

I also have another setup with a MiniDSP USBStreamer outputting 8 channels isolated and synchronously clocked.
But it requires some surgery on the board.

I intend to replace my current isolator/re clocker lash up with BBB-Hermes and Cronus as soon as I have time.

Will post the details in you new thread if you are interested (?).

Last edited:
The USB Streamer does not send a clock select signal nor accept a master clock - so it would not be a great fit for cronus. While it would work - because you would be mixing time domains you would get data loss and errors. It would not be bit perfect.

If you want a bit perfect USB solution then you could get the Hermes-Amanero + Cronus.

Cheers!
Russ

Hi Russ,

But is the Hermes-Amanero+Cronus solution, multichannel?

Regards
Marco

Try turning off oversampling on the Buffallo III. Perversely , This worked for me.

I also have another setup with a MiniDSP USBStreamer outputting 8 channels isolated and synchronously clocked.
But it requires some surgery on the board.

I intend to replace my current isolator/re clocker lash up with BBB-Hermes and Cronus as soon as I have time.

Thanks for the advise, curiosly, I was arrived to this some hours ago; so now it works ...

However exactly like you say the USBSTreamer interface has some problems and limitations.

This way I am interested to alternative solutions ...

For start I am waiting the Rigisystems USBPal that seems be a better solution.

I will read for sure your work ...

Thanks and regards

Marco

Is there any interest in a Cronus/B3 to Teleporter adapter?

You would use one at the Cronus with a teleporter connected to J2, and another connected to a B3 with teleporter connected to J3. In this situation the Cronus powers it's teleporter - and the B3 powers it's teleporter (both with 5V)

For those not using B3 you would just use the one at the cronus and then just direct wire the teleporter to the DAC.

The adapter is wired to transmit MCK, DCK, D1, D2 from cronus.

Attachments

• adapter.jpg
    adapter.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 1,176
I've been thinking more and more about a pair of teleporters; this certainly solves my "where to fit all this in my existing enclosure" dilemma. Plus, it would allow the BBB-TP appliance more flexibility. An adaptor board that keeps the i2s lines as short as possible seems ideal.

Russ,
Would this adapter work with the switch you mentioned earlier? I would like to run both an Amanero USB and the BBB to the Teleporter.

Not really related - this would simply make it really easy to connect a Teleporter to Cronus/B3

You could use an OTTO-II and Two pair of Cronus(with their respective Hermes)

Doing a multiplexer between the Cronus and the Hermes modules may come at some point - but has some challenges of it's own. :)

[snip]

Yes Please!!! Thanks in advance!

We need a low jitter USB multichannel input for 8ch Buffalo3. If Cronus can solve the USBStreamer's jitter problem that can bring multichannel audio to the DIY masses.

Rigi/USBPal looks like a nice product, multichannel and low jitter, but they don't seem too eager to accommodate DIYers. DIYinHK says no they won't make multichannel USB>I2S, too small niche for them.

Edit: Looks like USBStreamer will accept external clock via its Toslink input. Not sure if USBStreamer can even do multichannel in high resolution though. Edit yes it does. No more editing!

Rich

Last edited:
Hi Russ,
starting my BBB (rev C) -> Buffalo3 build... now.
Currently running Volumio on a Pi via I2S. Very keen to see how this compares.

Question:
Hermes board- does one always put the 4 pin BATT header on the hermes so it mates with the 4pin header on TP5-8 on the BBB board? Or only when one installs a battery UPS?

cheers
Ced