• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Cronus - It's about time.

u.fl cable lengths

I know shorter is always better. Do you have a sense yet of what maximum cable lengths will be for 384?

Also, if you are supplying power through the BIII via stacking header, (I have a BIIIse), then I assume that you feel there’s no performance hit by sharing the same Placid as the BIII(se)?

I know shorter is always better. Do you have a sense yet of what maximum cable lengths will be for 384?

Max cable length will depend entirely on your environment. As you said, shorter is better. There is no maximum, per se.

Also, if you are supplying power through the BIII via stacking header, (I have a BIIIse), then I assume that you feel there’s no performance hit by sharing the same Placid as the BIII(se)?

The XO on the Buffalo is powered by the same VD source*. This is basically the same but different regulator and 2 XOs.

* Not *that* VD source :)

I am not at all familiar with that DAC... If it can accept PCM (and DSD if you need that) input you should be able to use it. You would be best to research that DAC's capabilities.

The only supported USB module for Cronus is the Amanero via the Hermes-Amanero.

As to slaving it to the Cronus clock - you will need to check with the DAC producer - if it can accept a remote master clock then you may have that option as well.

I don't think wave-io can be slaved from external master clock, which is all hermes/cronus/rhea is about.
It's not an universal reclocker but a clock source, then realign i2s signals to feed a dac, all based on the same time domain.

And the dam1021 has an included reclocker based on fpga. I don't see this dac getting the same benefit from "perfect" i2s as other dacs around.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
connectors for boards

Russ or Brian
are connectors to connect boards to BBB and BIIISE and Cronus to Hermes
included in purchase of Cronus/Hermes?

If not what will I need to buy?

Thanks, :)

Also, are any external power supplies for C/H needed?

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I see in post #68

0.1" header (we will supply stacking headers), or terminal blocks.

Stacking header mates directly to 8-channel Buffalo, which will also supply power through Buffalo's VD supply.

Russ or Brian
are connectors to connect boards to BBB and BIIISE and Cronus to Hermes
included in purchase of Cronus/Hermes?

If not what will I need to buy?

Thanks, :)

Also, are any external power supplies for C/H needed?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
BIII input clock?

It's not clear how to connect the Chronus to BIII, of course I have to disconnect the VDD XO Trident reg. but where have I to connect the clock Chronus to the BIII, like in attached pic red circle?

Attachments

• BIII.jpg
    BIII.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 1,073
Last edited:
It's not clear how to connect the Chronus to BIII, of course I have to disconnect the VDD XO Trident reg. but where have I to connect the clock Chronus to the BIII?

You don't have to - but if you want to (which is more complex DIY effort) you will access the clock header directly under the clock. I would strongly recommend you run async (keep the clock on the B3) until you are quite sure of what you are doing.

So to use the Chronus I have to take off the Trident regulator and use the clock header under the clock marked in my pic.

No you don't have to! (and you probably should not if you are asking the question) You only ever would if you want to use an external clock (which is not always the best). I would strongly urge you not to with your B3 - at least to start. If you have a B3SE is is simpler to use the external clock but my advice would still be the same until you have a strong degree of confidence.

Last edited:
No need for confusion - It is a capability - but it definitely is not the *main* idea. As I said earlier there can some distinct benefits to running either async (with a ES9018) or synch. You need to choose the right path for you. :)

The main feature is providing suitable sources with a high quality clock in the correct time domain - then making sure the audio data itself is jitter free and time aligned. It is a much bigger concept than just having the same master clock at the DAC (especially when an asynchronous natured DAC like the ES9018 is involved).

The important thing is to stay within your zone of knowledge and capability.

Last edited:
While Amanero is the USB source supported by TP Cronos, WaveIO provides the same function as the Amanero outputing I2S. The Cronos should work as a reclocker isolator between the WaveIO and the DAC.

I am not very familiar with it - but for it to work equivalently to the hermes-amanero it would have to provide fully isolated I2S output and clock select output - and a master clock input. I am not sure it does. Keep in mind - Hermes does the isolation. :)