Go Back   Home > Forums > > >

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 14th July 2021, 04:12 PM   #1001
francolargo is offline francolargo  United States
diyAudio Member

Cronus - It's about time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen1212b View Post
I am using some really nice external clocks into the chronus. I need multiple master clock and I2s outputs to drive dual mono DACís synchronously and an extra word clock to source an ADC.
I'm sure Brian can suggest something, but buffering a clock typically adds some 'jitter'. Maybe not a lot, but possibly enough to negate (some of?) the benefits of your sweet external clocks. TI has a ton of information on line. The only question is where to start. Maybe here? Clock Buffers | Overview | Clocks & Timing | TI.com

Best,

Frank
Old 14th July 2021, 07:10 PM   #1002
stephen1212b is offline stephen1212b  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks francolargo, that's a very helpful link. Knowing that proper impedance layout will go a long way toward getting the best possible performance I'm actually hoping to inspire a Cronus Plus. Just thinking out loud, couldn't clocks be paralleled on the input side to unused channels on the Cronus?
Old 14th July 2021, 09:20 PM   #1003
diyAudio Member

I'm not 100% clear on all of your objectives. Perhaps a block diagram would help. But for the last few years I have been using the current Cronus to drive three Buffalo Pro stereo DACs, using 6 of the 8 Cronus channels. Perhaps part of the sauce that makes it work so well is the fact t that the DACs are enough remote from the Cronus that I used TPA teleporters from the Cronus to carry the synchronous I2S over to the Buffalos. Were I to use the u.fl. inputs to connect some external 'super-clocks' into Cronus, I don't think there would be any additional buffers needed.

So, a clear statement of objectives might help suggest work-arounds and/or time (or money) saving strategies.

Best,

Frank
Old 15th July 2021, 01:51 AM   #1004
diyAudio Member

So the Cronus outputs can each drive at least 3 teleporters? I was intending 4 inch ufl fan out to two pro DACs and not sure what double termination or strange reflections might come from sourcing in essence from the middle of a coaxial wire. The ADC is remote so a teleporter pair could work but seems overkill as only one ch would be used to carry word clock which normally runs unbalanced for the ten or so feet that would be needed. A teleporter would also require additional power at the receiving end. Any idea how much jitter a teleporter pair would add compared to a simple line driving buffer?
Old 15th July 2021, 01:58 AM   #1005
diyAudio Member

One other question to those who know, The Cronus aligns the various clock edges and we have been instructed to use the same length wires to connect them to the DAC. When driving the DAC synchronously the master clock needs to be longer to reach the connection point. Should we still use the same length wires for the I2S and the master clock?
Old 15th July 2021, 03:58 AM   #1006
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen1212b View Post
I was intending 4 inch ufl fan out to two pro DACs and not sure what double termination or strange reflections might come from sourcing in essence from the middle of a coaxial wire.
The advantage of the Hirose U.FL connectors is that they provide a 50 ohm termination, which helps with reflections. So I would find a way to use two separate u.fl. wires rather than messing with splicing. But there is another option that works equally well for me. Direct soldered silver wire - but very short since it is not shielded. Re: wire length, a couple cm difference is OK with soldered connections.

Quote:
Any idea how much jitter a teleporter pair would add compared to a simple line driving buffer?
All I can say is that the sound seems faultless compared to other setups I've tried with similar active components but no teleporters. For example, the sonic difference between synch and asynchronous signals into the b3s is maintained, teleporter or no. The teleporter transmitter will handle up to 150MHz (IIRC), so the master clock traces look very good on the scope. Regarding distance, the teleporter transmitter creates a differential signal that enters the twisted pairs of cat 5-6 wire. So common mode junk after a 4 foot trip through cat5 is not a factor.
Old 18th September 2021, 07:28 PM   #1007
Abra is offline Abra  Hungary
diyAudio Member

I have a BBB->Hermes-Cronus installation (i2s, sync mode).
I don't use it because the software hasn't been supported by Volumio for years, and it lags behind today's networking capabilities. RPi can offer more in this respect.

Nothing else to do hardware-wise other than swap BBB for RPI, and swap BBB Hermes for RPI Hermes?

What software images will work with?
Old 20th September 2021, 01:58 PM   #1008
diyAudio Member

Here is the GitHub link for the Hermes RPi overlay. GitHub - miero/tpa-hermes-rpi-dev

I have not personally used it but it appears straightforward. I have used and like dietpi, so I would probably add the configuration file feature - a nice convenience!
  Reply to this post

Cronus - It's about time.Hide this!Advertise here!