• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Support for Botic Linux driver

Can you tell me what are the differences between the Volumio music player and the Debian players? You seems rather unhappy with the Debian, don't you?

I used Volumio and Runeadio till now, so I'm not familiar with Arch/Debian user interface.

I use MPDROID and M.A.L.P. - MPD Client. Volumio interface is more user-friendly and can listen to Internet radio (huge select)!

[...] Arch/Debian user interface.

Debian is one of many Linux operating systems, and a very conservative one, which means it will work.
Every Linux has many choices of graphical (desktop) environments. You even can use it headless (without a monitor), which is great for using it as a music device.
The big difference is that there isn't a preconfigurated Debian, you have to install e.g. the music player software yourself. But this is easy, and there are plenty tutorials. Give it a shot, even if you don't like it, you've learned something!
Cheers Matthias

Facts:
1. The ram is small, and Volumio can't handle too many local music files. Actually it goes to infinite loop in this case.
2. The system seems too slow to perform a complex tasks, like a mixer. Dropout was occurred with high resolution items. Fortunately I do not use this feature.

IMHO:
I can live with 1. & 2. above.
The BBB->Hermes->Cronus system adds the possibility to use better clocs than normally available on SOCs. Less noise means better musical reproduction, and it's really noticeable with Pulsar clocks.
At the same time, it is too special solution, from which it is difficult or impossible to move on. It was relatively easy to bypass the isolator of Hermes, which only made the voice worse. But after listening to many small Linux computers, I found that not only a good clock is needed, but also need a powerful computer (compared to the BBB) in order to have more natural sound.

The benefit of the good clock is maxed in this system, but the otherwise poor BBB hardware also limits the playing capabilities of this system.

BeagleBone AI may be a solution, but I don't know if I2S really works, or just on paper.

Facts:
1. The ram is small, and Volumio can't handle too many local music files. Actually it goes to infinite loop in this case.
2. The system seems too slow to perform a complex tasks, like a mixer. Dropout was occurred with high resolution items. Fortunately I do not use this feature.

IMHO:
I can live with 1. & 2. above.
The BBB->Hermes->Cronus system adds the possibility to use better clocs than normally available on SOCs. Less noise means better musical reproduction, and it's really noticeable with Pulsar clocks.
At the same time, it is too special solution, from which it is difficult or impossible to move on. It was relatively easy to bypass the isolator of Hermes, which only made the voice worse. But after listening to many small Linux computers, I found that not only a good clock is needed, but also need a powerful computer (compared to the BBB) in order to have more natural sound.

The benefit of the good clock is maxed in this system, but the otherwise poor BBB hardware also limits the playing capabilities of this system.

BeagleBone AI may be a solution, but I don't know if I2S really works, or just on paper.
Thank you for explanation!
Please specify why Volumio should hanle too many local music files?
I don't think that a powerful computer (compared to the BBB) has more natural sound.

Please specify why Volumio should hanle too many local music files?
sound.
Some people test hifi mods permanently with a few tracks only. They won't complain certainly. Otherwise, all other software/hardware players I tried can handle 1TB SSD filled with music files.

I don't think that a powerful computer (compared to the BBB) has more natural sound.
If we talk about RPI SOC family with the long waited RPI specific Hermes, we agree. They will sound probably worse than the BBB.

Not sure whether a lot of power or RAM is really needed. On my BBBW I run MPD for music playback as well as a pulseaudio server and shairport-sync in order to stream from other devices. Occasionally also rompr is used as web frontend to the MPD which is probably most resource hungry.

MPD gets its music library using the proxy DB plugin from a NAS which shares roughly 700GB of music files using NFS protocol.

Still, with this setup I have more than 50% of free memory and while playing audio the cpu is 70% idle (CPU is also most of the times clocked down to 300-600MHz only). So it seems like this machine has clearly more than enough of power...

Probably Volumio just comes with a lot of unnecessary bloat hogging the resources.

Arch or Debian for Beaglebone Black?

Not sure whether a lot of power or RAM is really needed. On my BBBW I run MPD for music playback as well as a pulseaudio server and shairport-sync in order to stream from other devices. Occasionally also rompr is used as web frontend to the MPD which is probably most resource hungry.

Please explaine, how you use RompЯ via smartphone? Have You installed web frontend to MPD Arch Package rompr 1.26-1 AUR (en) - rompr ?

RompЯ | A beautiful, feature-rich music player.

Last edited:
No, I did not use the AUR package but instead simply followed the installation guide on the rompr site (using nginx). However I remember that I had to read through a lot of the nginx archlinux wiki page and made some changes to the configuration that were necessary to have it running in the end.

To use it on the smartphone, I simply open Nymeria where IP is the BBBW address. I have no other http site enabled on the BBBW so the standard IP directly opens rompr for me. Works without issues.

RompЯ for beaglebone black

No, I did not use the AUR package but instead simply followed the installation guide on the rompr site (using nginx). However I remember that I had to read through a lot of the nginx archlinux wiki page and made some changes to the configuration that were necessary to have it running in the end.

To use it on the smartphone, I simply open Nymeria where IP is the BBBW address. I have no other http site enabled on the BBBW so the standard IP directly opens rompr for me. Works without issues.

Would you so kind as to write a short guide how to install RompЯ on arch linux?