• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Support for Botic Linux driver

dear miero, dear alle!
any reply to my post
Support for Botic Linux driver
?
any suggestions how to install the botic kernel into volumio 1.5BBB? unfortunately the botic scripts on the miero website don't work anymore and need to be updated :-(

thanks and regards

since wheezy and jessy are not supported anymore and moved to "archive", i think miero has to change some of his files/scripts.
updating "sources.list" according to the new debian "archive" servers seems not to be enough :-(

@ miero: please advice and help!

many thanks

since wheezy and jessy are not supported anymore and moved to "archive", i think miero has to change some of his files/scripts.
updating "sources.list" according to the new debian "archive" servers seems not to be enough :-(

@ miero: please advice and help!

many thanks

update:
changing the sources.list to archive.debian.org did the job! now it seems everything to work fine! :)

Maybe a link for RP will help?:
volumio mirror repo * volumio/Build@b04fe63 * GitHub

deb Index of /debian jessie main ui
deb-src Index of /debian jessie main ui
deb http://archive.volumio.org/debian/ jessie main ui
deb-src http://archive.volumio.org/debian/ jessie main ui

The jessie-backports suite was archived on archive.debian.org, so you can use:

deb http://archive.debian.org/debian/ jessie-backports main contrib non-free
deb-src http://archive.debian.org/debian/ jessie-backports main contrib non-free

Last edited:
Using Debian Long Term Support (LTS)
LTS/Using - Debian Wiki
Important: Jessie-LTS only supports i386, amd64, armel and armhf. Users of other architectures are encouraged to upgrade to Debian 9 ("Stretch").

The current LTS version is Debian 8 "Jessie" and will be supported from 2018-06-17 to 2020-06-30. To receive security updates, your /etc/apt/sources.list should look like this one:

deb Index of /debian jessie main contrib non-free
deb-src Index of /debian jessie main contrib non-free

deb Debian -- Security Information jessie/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src Debian -- Security Information jessie/updates main contrib non-free

Using Debian Long Term Support (LTS)
LTS/Using - Debian Wiki
Important: Jessie-LTS only supports i386, amd64, armel and armhf. Users of other architectures are encouraged to upgrade to Debian 9 ("Stretch").

The current LTS version is Debian 8 "Jessie" and will be supported from 2018-06-17 to 2020-06-30. To receive security updates, your /etc/apt/sources.list should look like this one:

deb Index of /debian jessie main contrib non-free
deb-src Index of /debian jessie main contrib non-free

deb Debian -- Security Information jessie/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src Debian -- Security Information jessie/updates main contrib non-free

thanks amigo1, i changed the links in the sources.list to archive.debian.org and it works well.

Is the new BB Ai compatible with the Hermes /Cronus cape & the existing images of BBB Botic Linux(Arch/Debian)?
Would the new board be any useful or rather pointless? Anyone already tried?
It will not be 100% compatible.

I've checked pin mapping possibilities for I2S signals, and it seems that only 3 of 4 data lines will be available after remapping to mcasp1 controller:

P9_25 mcasp1_ahclkx
P9_31 mcasp1_aclkx
P9_29 mcasp1_fsx
P9_30 mcasp1_axr10
P9_41 mcasp1_axr7
P9_42 mcasp1_axr12
P9_27 xxx missing data line on this pin

So purely from a I2S data perspective it MIGHT be possible to update kernel & DTB to be compatible with older Hermes-BBB, at least for stereo I2S mode.

I'm not sure with DSD playback now, because there is a different order of serializers on pins 30 and 41, so it might need additional work in a driver.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Certainly, the physical similarities between BBAi and BBB make the possibilities attractive for continued use of the Hermes/Cronus. However, pure bang/buck of the AM5729 leaves something to be desired IMHO [compared to, for example, the 6 cores on a significantly cheaper Odroid N2]. It would be fun to peek at Brian and Russ's development plans for any new interfaces to the B3 DACs! :D

BTW, I'm using an Odroid N2 as a server and it is really solid.

Certainly, the physical similarities between BBAi and BBB make the possibilities attractive for continued use of the Hermes/Cronus. However, pure bang/buck of the AM5729 leaves something to be desired IMHO [compared to, for example, the 6 cores on a significantly cheaper Odroid N2]. It would be fun to peek at Brian and Russ's development plans for any new interfaces to the B3 DACs! :D

BTW, I'm using an Odroid N2 as a server and it is really solid.

Are you use Odroid N2 codec for sound processing and Toslink for sound output?

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Are you use Odroid N2 codec for sound processing and Toslink for sound output?

Nope. Odroid N2 is running 24/7 with server software and Python control code. BBB is managing the I2S and LADSPA filters in ALSA. I am interested in different crossover filtering options and for that, the more CPU the better.

Heat throttling is a fairly common problem among the different SBCs. On the Odroid N2, the SOCs are mounted "on the bottom" against a heat sink that serves as the base for the entire circuit board, so they have better heat dissipation than chip-sized adhesive heatsinks.

Nope. Odroid N2 is running 24/7 with server software and Python control code. BBB is managing the I2S and LADSPA filters in ALSA. I am interested in different crossover filtering options and for that, the more CPU the better.

Heat throttling is a fairly common problem among the different SBCs. On the Odroid N2, the SOCs are mounted "on the bottom" against a heat sink that serves as the base for the entire circuit board, so they have better heat dissipation than chip-sized adhesive heatsinks.

For my audio tasks (internet audiostreaming) I need just Volumio +BBB + Spdif hat, but Volumio for BBB is nearly dead and I force to use Debian 10 Buster.