• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Support for Botic Linux driver

@coroner21: Would you mind uploading again the image you mentioned in #2621 (or a newer one)?
I messed up mpd on my installation.

You can find another image here: Filebin :: bin sxx3l0g3axzbijl7

After extraction please ensure that the SHA256 sum is
Code:
4d3e40e45d90c07b7c56f5cf3039c3f1be257ac19a636289f22ec587b06495a1

Simply write it to your SD-card (min 4GB required) with dd. After booting it on the BBB there is one user alarm with password alarm and user root with password root. Please ensure to change that (create your own user, remove alarm user and change root passwd!) in case you decide to use that image on a regular basis.

By default the boot-script loads the SABRE32 overlay assuming that ES9018 DAC is connected to i2c1 header. Change /boot/boot.txt and run ./mkscr in the /boot directory if you want to change that.

You can find another image here: Filebin :: bin sxx3l0g3axzbijl7

After extraction please ensure that the SHA256 sum is
Code:
4d3e40e45d90c07b7c56f5cf3039c3f1be257ac19a636289f22ec587b06495a1

Simply write it to your SD-card (min 4GB required) with dd. After booting it on the BBB there is one user alarm with password alarm and user root with password root. Please ensure to change that (create your own user, remove alarm user and change root passwd!) in case you decide to use that image on a regular basis.

By default the boot-script loads the SABRE32 overlay assuming that ES9018 DAC is connected to i2c1 header. Change /boot/boot.txt and run ./mkscr in the /boot directory if you want to change that.

Sorry about that, seems this hoster did not work for me as expected. I uploaded the same image (same sha256 sum) here again: Uploadfiles.io - Download arch-botic.img for free

I'm setting up a new BBB/botic and got a warning when installing botic over the base debian install, see below. (I'm using this debian install "BBB-blank-debian-9.5-iot-armhf-2018-10-07-4gb.img"). Anything to be concerned about or maybe botic just needs some maintenance at some point?

root@beaglebone:/home/debian# dpkg -i linux-image-4.8.13-botic7-rc3_1_armhf.deb Selecting previously unselected package linux-image-4.8.13-botic7-rc3.
(Reading database ... 38192 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack linux-image-4.8.13-botic7-rc3_1_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking linux-image-4.8.13-botic7-rc3 (1) ...
Setting up linux-image-4.8.13-botic7-rc3 (1) ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.8.13-botic7-rc3
WARNING: Setting CRYPTSETUP in /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf is deprecated and will stop working in the future. Use /etc/cryptsetup-initramfs/conf-hook instead.
cryptsetup: WARNING: failed to detect canonical device of /dev/mmcblk1p1
cryptsetup: WARNING: could not determine root device from /etc/fstab

zz-uenv_txt: Updating /boot/uEnv.txt [uname_r=4.8.13-botic7-rc3]

Hello,

I try to run the BBB with the latest volumio img directly connected to my soekris dam1021 dac. The volumio img run fine and i don't have problem to run it or listen some music, but still their is a problem.

I try to use the dac to supply the clock to the BBB. The dac have a masterclock out in pin 24 and a frequency selector in pin 26. I try to connect this last one to pin 24 of the BBB "uart1_txd (external masterclock switch)", but it seems it doesn't work. I think the dac only supply 48mhz clock and don't switch to 44,1, 48mhz playback is ok but 44,1 is horrible.

This remind me something i red in hifiduino saying this fsel pin in the soekris don't work after the 0.99 firmware, and that the dac only supply 48mhz clock.

I ask this here, maybe someone have a solution, or maybe i should also ask to the soekris dac topic ?

Has this ever been solved ? I got a Soekris 1941 and would like to start feeding it with a I2S signal instead using USB...is the Botis solution the way or is ot too much configure for Buffalo only ?

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Has this ever been solved ? I got a Soekris 1941 and would like to start feeding it with a I2S signal instead using USB...is the Botis solution the way or is ot too much configure for Buffalo only ?

The notion of using Botic/BBB with Volumio is really no longer feasible for plug/play operation. Can the Soekris run as slave? If so, BBB with Hermes/Cronus will give great results. If not, perhaps it would be worth experimenting with Volumio on a Raspberry Pi. That, of course, would be far off-topic for this thread...

my wish list would be:

- MPD for my PCM music library, which goes between 44k to 192k.
- Tidal byplaying upnp or dnla like explained here An UPnP Audio Media Renderer based on MPD

I got hermes and chronus and the dam1941 has a spare I2S port, so in theory I would think that MpD/Botic in its original form without volumio should do the job, no ? The upmpdcli integration would be something extra I guess...

When Ghostmmasked his question, he tried to avoid using hermes / chronus I guess...but with them, it should not be a topic anymore, no ?

What is the latest image without volumio, just plain mpd ?

Last edited:
Sorry about that, seems this hoster did not work for me as expected. I uploaded the same image (same sha256 sum) here again: Uploadfiles.io - Download arch-botic.img for free

What is your first using impressions of RompЯ?
RompЯ is a music player with the emphasis on discovery - discovering more about the music. RompЯ is an interface that runs in a web browser on any device and controls a music player which can be on any other device. When used with Mopidy and a Spotify Premium subscription RompЯ is a powerful Spotify client with many music discovery features.

RompЯ | A beautiful, feature-rich music player.

mpd 0.21.10-1 is for Arch Linux ARM is released mpd (armv7h) | Packages | Arch Linux ARM

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
my wish list would be:

- MPD for my PCM music library, which goes between 44k to 192k.
- Tidal byplaying upnp or dnla like explained here An UPnP Audio Media Renderer based on MPD

I got hermes and chronus and the dam1941 has a spare I2S port, so in theory I would think that MpD/Botic in its original form without volumio should do the job, no ? The upmpdcli integration would be something extra I guess...

When Ghostmmasked his question, he tried to avoid using hermes / chronus I guess...but with them, it should not be a topic anymore, no ?

What is the latest image without volumio, just plain mpd ?

Botic is a kernel enhancement that will run under different versions of Linux. Volumio was a Debian variant (IIRC) and Miero’s original image was based on Debian. A more recent image of Debian with Botic was posted by @twluke. And just above in this thread is information on an image of Arch Linux with Botic. Search and read back a ways and you will find posts related to all of your objectives.

Ok, I am getting started to see which solution will work for me...as I am still waiting for my battery to be delivered:

What is a save way to play with the software only and not to destroy the BBG ?

I would think that NOT attaching the Hermes/Cronus to the BBG and simply powering it over 5V from its microUSB-port should be safe, no ? Or can the hardware still be destroyed if the system has not been shutdown appropriately ?

I would think that getting MPD to work, have connection to the NAS etc all of that should be configurable without Hermes and Cronus attached, no ?

Great stuff..will try...so far on my list:

- Micro Linux (just posted)
- Arch Botic
- LightMPD
- Build your own with Fred's instruction
- Same, but with DietPi
- TW_Luke's revised Kernel

I am not a Linux guy at all, but used MPDpuppy now for many years on an Alix1D board...so I am a believer in light-weight solutions, enabling ideally as well underclocking (not sure if the beaglebone has that option)

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I would think that NOT attaching the Hermes/Cronus to the BBG and simply powering it over 5V from its microUSB-port should be safe, no ? Or can the hardware still be destroyed if the system has not been shutdown appropriately ?

I would think that getting MPD to work, have connection to the NAS etc all of that should be configurable without Hermes and Cronus attached, no ?

MPD will probably need Hermes/Cronus powered and attached. Damage to the BBG can occur if power is removed while there is voltage on the GPIO pins. If you always use the ‘shutdown’ command you should be OK.

Next version mini Botic7 firmware
http://puredsd.ru/buildroot/sd_botic7.img.gz

• Change: small changes webinterface
  • Fix: MPD can now play DSD256 and DSD512

The firmware was created primarily for PPY's ReClocker and new version DSC2.
But it can be used as a universal network transport for PCM/DSD and with other equipment. It is enough to do the configuration in the file /boot/uEnv.txt

SSH root/root

And buildroot for this firmware:
http://puredsd.ru/buildroot/buildroot_botic7.tar.bz2

ezgif-4-f9b1ef8c83b0.gif

Last edited:
Update: GitHub - coroner21/linux-am33xbot: Arch Linux ARM Kernel with botic patches is now up to date with linux version 5.15. Note that for all three codec drivers (ES9018K2M, ES9018, Botic dummy-codec) I now enabled DSD_U32 again, which means that at least DSD256 is supported.

Background is that the MPD bug causing distortions in case of DSD_U32 playback was fixed in MPD version 0.21.11.

There I have not yet fully understood whether MPD as well works here only as a renderer (so dumb client)
In my version of MPD, it works as a UPNP renderer.
MPD does not have the ability to connect directly to the music database. This is done intentionally.
but would love to be able to play Tidal as well...which so far I was not able to...
You can do this without any problems using the BubbleUPnP program.
Tidal -> BubbleUPnP -> UPNP renderer
or
Roon+Tidal -> Roon Bridge

Last edited:
Funny moderation experience...not sure why stuff got deleted.

ppy, coming back how to make the mpd renderer function works...any server suggestion ? I guess this is how it works generally, no ? An UPnP Audio Media Renderer based on MPD

I am using BBb, chronus, hermes to drive B3, Soekris DAC...amd later maybe compare this with DSCv2...its great that you build an image that is so universally usable.

ppy, coming back how to make the mpd renderer function works...any server suggestion ? I guess this is how it works generally, no ? An UPnP Audio Media Renderer based on MPD
I usually listen to Roon and HQPlayer.
I checked UPNP with Jriver. It is convenient, it is both a server and a controlpoint. But you can use any DLNA server. A good, free and functional server - MinimServer
You have correctly indicated the UPNP MPD operation scheme. An additional front-end is used - upmpdcli.