• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Support for Botic Linux driver

I have installed squeezelite, but i didn't figure out if it is even working. Is it the only option for UPnP connections? Are there other solutions? Maybe better ones? Simplier to use?

In the meant time big time thank you! We have made a big step in my merely started head breaking adventure! Great work! I can see the light now! :)

Last edited:
I have installed squeezelite, but i didn't figure out if it is even working. Is it the only option for UPnP connections? Are there other solutions? Maybe better ones? Simplier to use?

In the meant time big time thank you! We have made a big step in my merely started head breaking adventure! Great work! I can see the light now! :)
My suggestion is to try MPD instead of squeezelite. MPD can bring music from your Win server and can be controlled by android smartphone. Try to go to MPD:

apt-get install MPD.

Another rough road may be waiting for you. :D

Rgds,

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Good morning Kris,

You must manually mount a usb drive on the BBB. It's easy.

From the command line:

1. execute 'lsblk'
2. plug in your USB drive
3. (again) execute 'lsblk' - your USB drive will now be added to the list from step 1 and you can identify it. It should look something like '/dev/sbd1'.
4. [optional] If you are going to be doing this repeatedly, it is a good idea to create a 'home' for the USB drive information - someplace reproducible for when the USB drive is plugged in. For this you create a directory. Something like... "USB" in the (existing) folder "media".
'(sudo, if not operating as 'root') mkdir /media/USB'
5. Now 'mount' the usb drive by attaching it to a file location...
'(sudo) mount <your USB drive ID from the 'lsblk' step above> /mnt
OR
'(sudo) mount <your USB drive ID from the 'lsblk step above>(space)<the directory mount point you created in step 4>

Example as 'root': 'mount /dev/sbd1 /media/USB

When you're done: 'unmount /dev/sbd1 /media/USB

By the way, if you are operating the BBB from eMMC, this procedure can allow you to use the uSD slot just like a USB drive, or if you are operating from the uSD card, it can make available the onboard eMMC memory for any purpose you like.

Now...

You are facing a choice of systems to send music to your DAC... I can give you specific advice on squeezelite, because I use it. There are two parts. Part one is Logitech media server, which you can run on virtually any computer. The second is the client for BBB, which is squeezelite. Both are being actively maintained and updated by dedicated volunteers, and that is a valuable service to people like us who don't like to fix software when it needs to be updated. You can read about Logitech Media server online. Wherever your stored music is located, it will make it available to the BBB. You would put it on your windows machine, and set it up from its own web page. [http://<the IP address of your windows machine>:9000]. No need to move files, just tell LMS where to find your stored music. When you add files, LMS will find them in a scheduled scan, or you can manually start a scan to update it. So if your music is organized in JRiver, you can keep doing what you've done to store and archive files and LMS will play along. [I did the same using iTunes...]

You have messed with squeezelite, which is available via 'apt-get install'. When I run squeezelite, I use the following command:

'nice -n -19 squeezelite -z -C 1 -o hw:0,0 -a 4096:1024:32:0' (leave out the single quotes)

The 'nice -n -19' part raises the priority of squeezelite within the operating system.
The '-z' sets it up as a continuously-running daemon.
the -o is optional, but I use it anyway - its the output address for the sound data
the -a setting works well with with the BBB - it specifies buffer and timing resources, bit depth, etc.

Like MPD, there are various programs that will operate Logitech Media Server from your phone. I use 'iPeng' for iOS, but there are others. The nice thing about LMS is the web page that it creates. You can also play music from that interface - just to get going. And... As you become more proficient and critical, there are advanced controls in LMS that are quite powerful. And one convenience that I really love is there is a LMS plugin called 'Spotty' that lets me use any remote web interface to Spotify and channel the streaming music to the BBB. (Your remote interface has to be running on the same local network as LMS). Clearly, the user interface that Spotify has created is quite sophisticated and with this feature activated, there is no fumbling around to find what you want to stream. You 'just do it'! Of course, Spotify is a compressed signal. But LMS will make it sound as good as possible...

If you decide to go with LMS, I can give you links to explain some of the advanced features.

Have a good day!

Frank

Thank you again Frank
I have everything set up but not the Squeezelite on BBB. This seems to me like big stairs to go. Seems simple as you know it but for a new noob like me is a real challenge.
I dont know how to place right user names etc in right places to make the LMS see the bbb squeezelite. LMS is set up but on the part of bbb nothing configured. Like this
'$USER --exec /usr/local/bin/squeezelite -- -o hw:CARD=Botic,DEV=0 -p 55 -n BBB -C 1'
I just need some real life egsample with explanation to make me it to understand. And I can't find any online. There are just generic explanations.
I'm here half of the day looking for it. SOOO close and so far from playing lol.

I have this recap from my LMS and I have no idea where to place things to make BBB's Squeezelite to communicate with LMS on pc
Logitech Media Server Versione: 7.9.2 - 1557815622 @ Tue May 14 08:38:18 WEDT 2019
Nome host: DESKTOP-5LSFDSN
Indirizzo IP del server: 192.168.1.167
Porta HTTP server: 9000
Sistema operativo: Windows 10 - IT - cp1252
Architettura piattaforma: 8664
Versione Perl: 5.14.1 - MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
Audio::Scan: 0.95
IO::Socket::SSL: 2.024
Versione database: DBD::SQLite 1.58 (sqlite 3.22.0)
Totale lettori riconosciuti: 0

Statistiche libreria
Totale brani: 6.699
Numero album: 903
Numero artisti: 1.122
Totale generi musicali: 148
Tempo totale d'ascolto: 1567:12:04

Dettagli analisi file multimediali
Rilevamento di file/directory: E:\Music (7182 di 7182) Completo 00:00:05

Analisi dei nuovi file musicali: E:\Music (6165 di 6165) Completo 00:00:50

Rilevamento di file/directory: E:\Pictures (547 di 547) Completo 00:00:09

Analisi dei nuovi file musicali: E:\Pictures (25 di 25) Completo 00:00:00

Rilevamento di file/directory: E:\Documents (470 di 470) Completo 00:00:02

Analisi dei nuovi file musicali: E:\Documents (36 di 36) Completo 00:00:00

Rilevazione playlist in corso: E:\Music\Playlists (104 di 104) Completo 00:00:00

Analisi di nuove playlist in corso: E:\Music\Playlists (102 di 102) Completo 00:00:01

Building full text index (7 di 7) Completo 00:00:02

Pre-cache copertina (397 di 397) Completo 00:00:06

Ottimizzazione database (2 di 2) Completo 00:00:01

Il server ha completato l'analisi della libreria multimediale.
Tempo totale: 00:01:16 (domenica, maggio 19, 2019 / 5:28 )

Cartelle

Cartella cache
C:\ProgramData\Squeezebox\Cache
Cartella delle preferenze
C:\ProgramData\Squeezebox\prefs
Cartelle dei plugin
C:\PROGRA~2\SQUEEZ~1\server\Slim\Plugin, C:\ProgramData\Squeezebox\Cache\InstalledPlugins\Plugins, C:\PROGRA~2\SQUEEZ~1\server\Plugins
Helper Applications Folder
C:\PROGRA~2\SQUEEZ~1\server\Bin\MSWin32-x86-multi-thread, C:\PROGRA~2\SQUEEZ~1\server\Bin
File di registro di Logitech Media Server
C:\ProgramData\Squeezebox\Logs\server.log (100, 500, 1000 righe, tutto, ZIP archive)

I thank very much to twluke, francolargo and in first place to bern for making my set play.
You have been very kind and generous folks. Gave to a hopeless linux noob like me so much time and attention.

Now all sounds and works, and I still don't believe it looking back just 3 days.

Next PMD player and usb mounting (frank)

Bestest regards!

I thank very much to twluke, francolargo and in first place to bern for making my set play.
You have been very kind and generous folks. Gave to a hopeless linux noob like me so much time and attention.

Now all sounds and works, and I still don't believe it looking back just 3 days.

Next PMD player and usb mounting (frank)

Bestest regards!

Hi D3nsityD3nt, many congratulations for your achievement!

As I said before I can not help you set up squeezelite but can help you if you want to try MPD. First of all, you have to be aware that the botic driver had been developed mainly focusing on MPD and not on squeezelite. With this understanding, you might want to try what I wrote below. The /etc/fstab setting is specified for mpd because it requires uid=mpd or gid=audio. Well here goes:

How to cifs-mount remote server

As root,

1. Install cifs-utils: apt-get install cifs-utils
2. Create mount point (/data as an example): mkdir /data
3. Edit /etc/fstab

an example to mount a folder named test in a Win sever of 192.168.0.xx address (my personal setting)

//192.168.0.xx/test /data cifs username=yourWinServerID,password=yourWinServerpassword,uid=mpd,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,iocharset=utf8,rsize=130048,wsize=4096 0 0

Add this line to /etc/fstab. If "uid=mpd" causes a problem use "gid=audio" instead.

4. Mount the server source to /data: mount -a (if you want to unmount later, umount -a).
5. Check if they are mounted: df (or df -h)

How to setup MPD.

1. apt-get install mpd mpc
2. edit /etc/mpd.conf

music_directory "/data"
playlist_directory "/var/lib/mpd/playlists" (you might have to do this: mkdir /var/lib/mpd/playlists)
log_file "/var/log/mpd/mpd.log" (You might have to create a blank file of this /var/log/mpd/mpd.log)
user "mpd"
bind_to_address "any" (usually this works, though the daemon may complain)
port "6600"

# An example of an ALSA output:
#
audio_output {
type "alsa"
name "Botic"
device "hw:0,0"
dsd_usb "no"
dsd_native "yes"
period_time "1"
mixer_type "software"
#mixer_device "default" # optional
#mixer_control "PCM" # optional
#mixer_index "0" # optional
}
2. systemctl enable mpd.service
3. systemctl daemon-reload
4. systemctl start mpd.service
mpc play
5. Check if mpd is normally running: systemctl status mpd.service
6. If not running normally, read the log messages in the status to solve the issue.
7. If you want to stop mad: systemctl stop mpd.service (ALSA will be released from MPD).

Regards,

Last edited:
Hi D3nsityD3nt, many congratulations for your achievement!

As I said before I can not help you set up squeezelite but can help you if you want to try MPD. First of all, you have to be aware that the botic driver had been developed mainly focusing on MPD and not on squeezelite. With this understanding, you might want to try what I wrote below. The /etc/fstab setting is specified for mpd because it requires uid=mpd or gid=audio. Well here goes:

How to cifs-mount remote server

As root,

1. Install cifs-utils: apt-get install cifs-utils

Great twluke!
Now when my wife is watching Grace Anatomy on my critical listening position I have a time for myself again. (not that I didn't have last three days :)
Already on first point comes up something like this
root@beaglebone:~# apt-get install cifs-utils
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
root@beaglebone:~#

What should I do?
How do I check if it was already installed? It is higly possible that I did it while installin a new botic.

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Great news, Kris.

If you decide to stay with squeezelite, here is some further reading:

soundcheck's - audio@vise: LogitechMediaServer - Settings Guide

The source is a worthwhile blog by a DIY Audio member, even though it does not focus on the BBB nor on DIY audio solutions from Twisted Pear Audio. I will quote the opening statement of the linked blog edition: "I consider the LogitechMediaServer (LMS) the best music server software out there." Then he goes on to the details that support this statement.

Whether you finally decide to use MPD or squeezelite, you can expect identical sound quality. The choice comes down to convenience and the particular features you value.

Again, keep taking notes, and back up your BBB system if possible.

And by all means, enjoy the music! ;)

Great news, Kris.

If you decide to stay with squeezelite, here is some further reading:

soundcheck's - audio@vise: LogitechMediaServer - Settings Guide

The source is a worthwhile blog by a DIY Audio member, even though it does not focus on the BBB nor on DIY audio solutions from Twisted Pear Audio. I will quote the opening statement of the linked blog edition: "I consider the LogitechMediaServer (LMS) the best music server software out there." Then he goes on to the details that support this statement.

Whether you finally decide to use MPD or squeezelite, you can expect identical sound quality. The choice comes down to convenience and the particular features you value.

Again, keep taking notes, and back up your BBB system if possible.

And by all means, enjoy the music! ;)

Great!
This will be something to read just next days. Another gold link.
You said backup. Did you mean whole partition backup? Or just uEnv.txt? If full partition, then how I can do it? Is there any application to do so?

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Great!
This will be something to read just next days. Another gold link.
You said backup. Did you mean whole partition backup? Or just uEnv.txt? If full partition, then how I can do it? Is there any application to do so?

You can back up the whole contents of your eMMC.

Prepare an SD card more than 4GB and insert it into the SD slot.
Go to /opt/scripts/tools/eMMC/

There is a script called

beaglebone-black-make-microSD-flasher-from-eMMC.sh

Make it executable by: chmod u+x ./beaglebone-black-make-microSD-flasher-from-eMMC.sh

Then run this script by: ./beaglebone-black-make-microSD-flasher-from-eMMC.sh

The contents of eMMC will be automatically copied to the SD card (it takes some time).

If boot from SD later, check the eMMC flasher in /boot/uEnv.txt was commented before it.