• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Support for Botic Linux driver

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Can you remember what Stretch image you did flash and the exact process?

Sorry I can not recall.

This is what comes up when I logon via Putty.....

Debian GNU/Linux 7
BeagleBoard.org Debian Image 2015-03-01
Support/FAQ: Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack Debian - eLinux.org

root@beaglebone:~# uname -a
Linux beaglebone 4.0.0-botic5 #1 PREEMPT Tue Apr 28 23:42:17 CEST 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux

Debian GNU/Linux 7
BeagleBoard.org Debian Image 2015-03-01
Support/FAQ: Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack Debian - eLinux.org

root@beaglebone:~# uname -a
Linux beaglebone 4.0.0-botic5 #1 PREEMPT Tue Apr 28 23:42:17 CEST 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux

Ok. So your image it's not debian stretch, it seems.
I don't have problems using an 8.7 image: it boots regularly after botic installation.
My problems are with strech images, >= 9

Last edited:
debian_botic image uploaded

Hi all,

I made a ready-to-use debian_botic image and uploaded to my server. You can download from the URL below:

http://lydia.concorde.gr.jp/luke/debian_botic_image.img

The image is based on a rather old debian stretch kernel (7/14/2017) because my botic system is as such and the file size is roughly corresponding to an 8GB SD card. I adjusted the actual size so that it can be compatible with a 4GB SD card but using an 8GB card is recommended.

It is a kind of swiss army knife including: MPDs (mpd-0.18.23-dsd-rt, mpd-0.21 in /usr/local/bin), networkaudiod for NAA from HQ player and RoonBridge (located in /opt). For DSD512, you have to use mpd-0.18.23-dsd-rt with rt option added to the mpd.conf. The sources are all located in /usr/src. Also the /root directory includes some shell commands, mainly based on systemd, to ease daily setting and checking: all self-explained if you look into the contents.

For login, user/password = debian/botic and the root password is also botic. Change them as you like.

I hope this image file will work for those brave enough to try it.

Regards,

As the size of the image file is nearly 8GB, you have to use an external USB storage device of more than 8GB in capacity for download with an SD card to be flashed into the microSD slot of the BBB. In this case "of=/dev/sdX" will be "of=/dev/mmcblk0p1".

I downloaded and flashed the image.
It boots, it's stretch 9.1 and ALSA is v. 1.1.3 :up:

But file system is in read only mode, so i can't install squeezelite R2... command "mount -o rw,remount /" gives this error: "mount: can't find UUID=fcf9c212-e2df-4f27-a70b-4c34835d5ab50"
Is this something wanted? There's an error in /etc/fstab?

Last edited:
I downloaded and flashed the image.
It boots, it's stretch 9.1 and ALSA is v. 1.1.3 :up:

But file system is in read only mode, so i can't install squeezelite R2... command "mount -o rw,remount /" gives this error: "mount: can't find UUID=fcf9c212-e2df-4f27-a70b-4c34835d5ab50"
Is this something wanted? There's an error in /etc/fstab?
I confirmed this read-only issue. Before making the image, I deleted the content of /etc/fstab to remove my personal customization. That may be the culprit. Today I'll make another image for 4GB SD card. Give me a time.

Solved: Read-only issue

I confirmed this read-only issue. Before making the image, I deleted the content of /etc/fstab to remove my personal customization. That may be the culprit. Today I'll make another image for 4GB SD card. Give me a time.

The cause of this read-only issue was due to my UUID typo error in /etc/fstab. After correcting it, the problem has gone.

Fist of all, the read-only file system after booting from the flashed SD card must be changed so that it can be independent on the /etc/fstab.

The command lsblk shows the device of this filesystem is mmcblk0p1 and it mus be remounted as shown below:

Code:
sudo mount -o remount,rw /dev/mmcblk0p1 /

This way, the filesystem becomes writable and you can edit the /etc/fstab. Now change the UUID in the fstab:

from
fcf9c212-e2df-4f27-a70b-4c34835d5ab50
to
fcf9c212-e2df-4f27-a70b-4c34835d5ab5

The last digit "0" was my typo and the actual culprit of this issue. After this correction, you can get normal booting and can install any binaries you want to use.

As the problem was solved, please try the current image for download. I decided to stop further upload for revision.

Last edited:
The cause of this read-only issue was due to my UUID typo error in /etc/fstab. After correcting it, the problem has gone.

Fist of all, the read-only file system after booting from the flashed SD card must be changed so that it can be independent on the /etc/fstab.

The command lsblk shows the device of this filesystem is mmcblk0p1 and it mus be remounted as shown below:

Code:
sudo mount -o remount,rw /dev/mmcblk0p1 /
This way, the filesystem becomes writable and you can edit the /etc/fstab. Now change the UUID in the fstab:

from
fcf9c212-e2df-4f27-a70b-4c34835d5ab50
to
fcf9c212-e2df-4f27-a70b-4c34835d5ab5

The last digit "0" was my typo and the actual culprit of this issue. After this correction, you can get normal booting and can install any binaries you want to use.

As the problem was solved, please try the current image for download. I decided to stop further upload for revision.

After deleting the "0" in fstab's UUID and rebooting, the file system was still read only.
I solved assigning a label to the sd partition and using that in fstab. Now the filesystem is rw at boot.
Thank you again for your image!

After deleting the "0" in fstab's UUID and rebooting, the file system was still read only.
I solved assigning a label to the sd partition and using that in fstab. Now the filesystem is rw at boot.
Thank you again for your image!

Hi Luca72c, it's good to know that the image file was finally working.

As there may be still a minor trouble like yours even after my recommended workaround, I changed my mind and uploaded a revised image file again to my server. The URL is:

http://lydia.concorde.gr.jp/luke/debian_botic_revised.img

The file size is about 7.9G, though the actual content is about 3.7GB in size. I've confirmed the file was okay. Hope it will be trouble-free for others, too.

At the moment I use the Volumio/Botic image which was originally downloaded from Volumio.org.

I feed the music from my qnap-nas via ethernet. the BBB-Cronus is connected via teleporter to BIIIse.

Now I get frequent (every 5-10 sec.) unlocks. Maybe due grounding shielding problems (everything on small wood plates without cover).
It seems to get worse with higher bitrates.

How to troubleshoot this? Is there a buffer i could increase in size? Or a log file to look at? could try to use direct usb to bbb.

thx

Branko

Hi Luca72c, it's good to know that the image file was finally working.

As there may be still a minor trouble like yours even after my recommended workaround, I changed my mind and uploaded a revised image file again to my server. The URL is:

http://lydia.concorde.gr.jp/luke/debian_botic_revised.img

The file size is about 7.9G, though the actual content is about 3.7GB in size. I've confirmed the file was okay. Hope it will be trouble-free for others, too.

Thank you for your help and work!!

Do you know how to enable UART2 - standard overlay is not doing the job...

Newbie question.

I have followed the instruction from pg. 248 (@fred_com, thank you for that, it was easy to follow) and have installed NAA software on the SD card. I plan to install the configuration to the internal eMMC drive by editing the uEnv.txt file by uncommenting out and rebooting.

#cmdline=init=/opt/scripts/tools/eMMC/init-eMMC-flasher-v3.sh

Once the image is on the eMMC can I continue to make changes to the eMMC or do I always have to make changes to the SD card and go through the same process.

Should I also do apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade on periodic basis or leave the configuration alone once I have everything working? Sorry, coming from normal Debian / Ubuntu on x86 environment.

TIA.