• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Support for Botic Linux driver

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Then you'll need to run Roon server on a PC, which can be used for Tidal streaming, and BBB/Botic can work as a RoonBridge for output (somewhat analogous to NAA in HQ player). Though Tidal is not available in Japan as of this writing, I confirmed that the BBB/Botic (botic7) on a debian stretch can work well as a RoonBridge.

Regards,

Thanks for the info, but the expense of TIDAL is all I care to pay for. ;)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Then you'll need to run Roon server on a PC, which can be used for Tidal streaming, and BBB/Botic can work as a RoonBridge for output (somewhat analogous to NAA in HQ player). Though Tidal is not available in Japan as of this writing, I confirmed that the BBB/Botic (botic7) on a debian stretch can work well as a RoonBridge.

Regards,

Well, I caved in and I am trying a trial of Roon. Very nice. Getting use to doing things a little differently with Roon.
I'm hearing more subtle information via Roon compared to LMS.
I'd like to know if others that switched have had the same experience.
Looks like a keeper. :up::up:
-ICHIBAN

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have been a jriver fanboy for years but it seems to me that Roon sounds a bit better on botic. I had been using DLNA from jriver vs. Roon bridge on botic.

Interesting. Thanks.
Before LMS came out with a TIDAL add on, I was using LMS with ickStream.
I swear ickStream wasn't as detailed as the TIDAL add on. These playing through Squeezelite on a BBB into Hermes/Cronus/B II saber.
Now, TIDAL via ROON to the BBB etc. is my new standard.

Hi,
It seems lie my botic on bbb has broken down.
Suddenly there is something wrong with the build-in eMMC flash disk drive.
I connected a console to bbb's serial port and see disk errors during boot:
Code:
U-Boot SPL 2017.03-rc2-00002-g11d4fd24f9 (Feb 15 2017 - 16:42:40)
Trying to boot from MMC2

U-Boot 2017.03-rc2-00002-g11d4fd24f9 (Feb 15 2017 - 16:42:40 -0600), Build: jenkins-github_Bootloader-Builder-520

CPU  : AM335X-GP rev 2.1
I2C:   ready
DRAM:  512 MiB
Reset Source: Power-on reset has occurred.
MMC:   OMAP SD/MMC: 0, OMAP SD/MMC: 1
Using default environment

<ethaddr> not set. Validating first E-fuse MAC
BeagleBone Black:
BeagleBone: cape eeprom: i2c_probe: 0x54:
BeagleBone: cape eeprom: i2c_probe: 0x55:
BeagleBone: cape eeprom: i2c_probe: 0x56:
BeagleBone: cape eeprom: i2c_probe: 0x57:
Net:   eth0: MII MODE
cpsw
Press SPACE to abort autoboot in 2 seconds
board_name=[A335BNLT] ...
board_rev=[00C0] ...
Card did not respond to voltage select!
mmc_init: -95, time 12
mmc_init: -95, time 12
mmc_init: -95, time 13
gpio: pin 56 (gpio 56) value is 0
gpio: pin 55 (gpio 55) value is 0
gpio: pin 54 (gpio 54) value is 0
gpio: pin 53 (gpio 53) value is 1
switch to partitions #0, OK
mmc1(part 0) is current device
Scanning mmc 1:1...
gpio: pin 56 (gpio 56) value is 0
gpio: pin 55 (gpio 55) value is 0
gpio: pin 54 (gpio 54) value is 0
gpio: pin 53 (gpio 53) value is 1
switch to partitions #0, OK
mmc1(part 0) is current device
gpio: pin 54 (gpio 54) value is 1
Checking for: /uEnv.txt ...
Checking for: /boot.scr ...
Checking for: /boot/boot.scr ...
Checking for: /boot/uEnv.txt ...
gpio: pin 55 (gpio 55) value is 1
2184 bytes read in 21 ms (101.6 KiB/s)
Loaded environment from /boot/uEnv.txt
debug: [dtb=am335x-boneblack-botic.dtb] ...
Using: dtb=am335x-boneblack-botic.dtb ...
Checking if uname_r is set in /boot/uEnv.txt...
gpio: pin 56 (gpio 56) value is 1
Running uname_boot ...
loading /boot/vmlinuz-4.8.13-botic7-rc3 ...
4122480 bytes read in 286 ms (13.7 MiB/s)
loading /boot/dtbs/4.8.13-botic7-rc3/am335x-boneblack-botic.dtb ...
57153 bytes read in 39 ms (1.4 MiB/s)
uboot_overlays: add [enable_uboot_overlays=1] to /boot/uEnv.txt to enable...
loading /boot/initrd.img-4.8.13-botic7-rc3 ...
3783911 bytes read in 271 ms (13.3 MiB/s)
debug: [console=ttyO0,115200n8 snd_soc_botic.ext_masterclk=3 snd_soc_botic.serconfig=MMMM snd_soc_botic.dai_format=16386 snd_soc_botic.blr_ratio=64 root=UUID=58038681-2314-4876-9b58-b59725da6ec1 ro rootfstype=ext4 rootwait coherent_pool=1M net.ifnames=0 quiet cape_universal=enable] ...
debug: [bootz 0x82000000 0x88080000:39bce7 0x88000000] ...
## Flattened Device Tree blob at 88000000
   Booting using the fdt blob at 0x88000000
   Loading Ramdisk to 8fc64000, end 8ffffce7 ... OK
   Loading Device Tree to 8fc53000, end 8fc63f40 ... OK

Starting kernel ...

[    0.001073] clocksource_probe: no matching clocksources found
[    0.628151] wkup_m3_ipc 44e11324.wkup_m3_ipc: could not get rproc handle
[    0.856352] omap_voltage_late_init: Voltage driver support not added
Loading, please wait...
rootfs contains a file system with errors, check forced.
rootfs: Inode 1795, end of extent exceeds allowed value
        (logical block 249, physical block 18193, len 170)

rootfs: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
        (i.e., without -a or -p options)
fsck exited with status code 4
The root filesystem on /dev/mmcblk1p1 requires a manual fsck
modprobe: module i8042 not found in modules.dep
modprobe: module atkbd not found in modules.dep
modprobe: module ehci-pci not found in modules.dep
modprobe: module ehci-orion not found in modules.dep
modprobe: module uhci-hcd not found in modules.dep
modprobe: module ohci-hcd not found in modules.dep

BusyBox v1.22.1 (Debian 1:1.22.0-9+deb8u1) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
(initramfs) fsck
fsck from util-linux 2.25.2
(initramfs)
Is there any smart way to recover my old system? I don't like to install everything from the beginning ...I would be grateful for the hints.
Regards,

Hello,

I am trying to use the BBB with volumio 2.129 and a simple PCM1794. The DAC needs Data, LRCK, BCK and SCK. I configured masterclk to 0 (onboard clock) and connected Data to pin 30, LRCK to pin 29, BCK to pin 31 and SCK to pin 25, but the DAC isn't working. What I am missing?

Thank you !

It was an isolator problem, I confirm that BBB with the latest volumio works great with the above pinout.
Thank you miero for the driver !

bern, are you using internal MMC? if yes, then just boot a SD card and repair MMC device with fsck command. If it is on SD card, then connect it to any Linux machine and execute also fsck command on it.

for example, run following on BBB as root to fix "other" SD/MMC than device that was used for boot:
fsck /dev/mmcblk1p1

bern, are you using internal MMC? if yes, then just boot a SD card and repair MMC device with fsck command. If it is on SD card, then connect it to any Linux machine and execute also fsck command on it.

for example, run following on BBB as root to fix "other" SD/MMC than device that was used for boot:
fsck /dev/mmcblk1p1

Thanks miero
I booted from SD and repaired MMC:)

Hello gents and Miero.

Huge thanks for the Botic driver dev.

I have been using miero's precompiled distro for a while, outputting I2S to a DDDAC.

Last weekend I made it to split left and right data, with right justified data for a direct connection to the PCM1794 chip (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...pcm1794-waveio-usb-input-471.html#post4361633).

First playback was sick, with weired noise only at playback.
I changes snd_soc_botic.blr_ratio= from 32 to 64, and the noise has gone.

BUT the songs lack their top end : high frequencies aren't reproduced anymore.
For example it's obvious with Ray Lamontagne's "God Willin' and the Creek Don't Rise" song.
You only hear a faint reverb of the third instrument (higher than battery and guitar), the one you hear in the first seconds.

I pretty much suspect a software problem, especially from snd_soc_botic.blr_ratio, which seems to drive the whole music reproduction.
Note that I just upgraded to Volumio 2 with embedded Botic driver, edited /boot/uEnv.txt and created the botic split in /etc/asound.conf. Problem stays.

Anybody could help me troubleshooting ?

Hello all,

I am also tring to split the right an left data for the DDAC, but using latest Volumio I can't manage to make it work. What else I have to do/modify besides the things listed here http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...pcm1794-waveio-usb-input-471.html#post4361633

Thank you !

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Which leads to an interesting question... I have stopped buying hi rez files as they are stupidly expensive and I cannot for the life of me hear the slightest difference between redbook CD and 192/24, DSD or anything inbetween with hermes,cronus,buff III. This with about 4 A-B test albums (same album different rez). Now I'm pretty sure its not me or my system because we've both been ruthlessly tweaked over 20 years of modding and the difference in quality of the original recordings is night and day. Anyone else same experience or am I missing something?

cheers
Ced

Off topic and esoteric (apologies! :eek:), but interesting because I've had similar experiences. For me, closing the *difference* between sound quality of redbook vs. higher-res sources came mostly from improving the quality of power to all components, but especially the DACs. But for playing through speakers, power quality has not been the only differentiating factor. I believe different driver designs and materials can permit more or less *intra-cone distortion that benefits from higher sampling rates*. Addressing that directly sounded like improving power quality to the various components upstream of the amps. After much tweaking, the downside of having such a high resolution system is that not so many recordings are recorded and mastered well enough to bring out the very best in the music. In my experience, the better the system, the more important is engineering of the recording and the less important is its sample rate. ;)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
After much tweaking, the downside of having such a high resolution system is that not so many recordings are recorded and mastered well enough to bring out the very best in the music. In my experience, the better the system, the more important is engineering of the recording and the less important is its sample rate. ;)

How true. The dB/Loudness mess that too many mastering engineers have been into this past decade and longer is sad.:( Here is a web site with a list of albums and the recorded dynamic range. :eek:

Album list - Dynamic Range Database

-ICHIBAN

Hello all,

I am also tring to split the right an left data for the DDAC, but using latest Volumio I can't manage to make it work. What else I have to do/modify besides the things listed here http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...pcm1794-waveio-usb-input-471.html#post4361633

Thank you !

yes, you are right! it seems that this does not work for volumio 2. i have tried that with all versions of the volumio2 and non of them worked. i got the message " can not open the output device" as soon as the botic split alsa is selected as output device. i reported that to michelangelo long time ago but no reply ;-) .... however, the botic split works perfectly with the boticized volumio 1.55 :)

yes, you are right! it seems that this does not work for volumio 2. i have tried that with all versions of the volumio2 and non of them worked. i got the message " can not open the output device" as soon as the botic split alsa is selected as output device. i reported that to michelangelo long time ago but no reply ;-) .... however, the botic split works perfectly with the boticized volumio 1.55 :)

Could you or somebody else give me a link to download volumio 1.55?

Thank you !

Last edited:
At May 2017 I see the latest image is 4.8.13-botic7-rc3_1

Q1. after installing the full botic-v4 image to MicroSD card,
then "ntpdate pool.ntp.org"
then "apt-get update"
can I update directly to 4.8.13-botic7-rc3_1 ?

Q2. do I update with "apt-get install" or download the deb first, and install with "dpkg -i"

Thanks.

OK, on a fresh botic-v4 installation I just used dpkg to install 4.8.13-botic7-rc3_1
as well as the corresponding 4.8.13 firmware.
Now when I boot up the 1st LED on the Hermes board fails to light, indicating that the output of the isolator is NOT enabled, so not external clock, and no output to Cronus.

OK, on a fresh botic-v4 installation I just used dpkg to install 4.8.13-botic7-rc3_1
as well as the corresponding 4.8.13 firmware.
Now when I boot up the 1st LED on the Hermes board fails to light, indicating that the output of the isolator is NOT enabled, so not external clock, and no output to Cronus.

Did you edit the /boot/uEnv.txt so that the line of dtb=am335x-boneblack-botic.dtb is included in it?

You might want to follow the instruction by miero. It was written for 4.5.0-botic7-rc1 but can be applicable to 4.8.13-botic7-rc3_1.

Regards,