• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Support for Botic Linux driver

Guys, I am currently having difficulty in getting MPD to update the library from my 2TB USB-HDD. The usb-HDD is mounted in "/etc/fstab" with addition code
"/dev/sda1/ /media/music auto auto, rw,...., nofail. 0. 0"

The MPD is not running as superuser, but it has own user "mpd". For access to removeable media its user must have rights.

Have you notices ",gid=audio" parameter on http://bbb.ieero.com/ ? It must be present in your fstab line, i.e.:

"/dev/sda1/ /media/music auto auto,rw,relatime,nofail,gid=audio 0 0"

In case it does not work either, try adding also ",uid=mpd" there:

"/dev/sda1/ /media/music auto auto,rw,relatime,nofail,uid=mpd,gid=audio 0 0"

After several attempts, using the instructions I referenced previously, I have been unable to flash the eMMC of my BBB with miero's Botic distribution. I conclude that I will continue to run it from the SD card.

Aaaaah, I've wrote the regular RobertCNelson scripts for flashing should be used ... not a such manual for Armstrong distribution :)

Executing one script will do all the "magic":

(( backup all important ))

(( boot from SD card ))

root@bbb:~# /opt/scripts/tools/eMMC/beaglebone-black-make-microSD-flasher-from-eMMC.sh
... (after 5 minutes of copying data)
This script has now completed it's task
-----------------------------
Note: Actually unpower the board, a reset [sudo reboot] is not enough.
-----------------------------

root@bbb:~# poweroff

((wait until it powers down))
((remove SD card))
((power it on))

.... voilà ... and if you are lucky as me ... you have booted from eMMC :)

On the latest BBB rev C with 4GB of NAND memory following numbers will you get:
root@bbb:~# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs 3.4G 417M 2.8G 13% /
/dev/disk/by-uuid/7618cf48-5b4f-4765-9b74-a27ea05b4f35 3.4G 417M 2.8G 13% /
/dev/mmcblk0p1 96M 13M 84M 13% /boot/uboot

Last edited:
Onboard eMMC is just low-cost "SD card" soldered on board... so... the advantage is that you can use removable SD card for temporary data, for example music... :)

Agreed Miero. :)

This leads to another query, is it possible to mount multiples source to one library directory for MPD? In other word, microSD, sda1, and sdb1 mount to "/media/music"?

Cheers in advance!
Chanh

This leads to another query, is it possible to mount multiples source to one library directory for MPD? In other word, microSD, sda1, and sdb1 mount to "/media/music"?

Just use the following directory structure:
- /media/music/sda1
- /media/music/sdb1
- /media/music/remote_storage
- /media/music/...

:)

So steps are:
1) create subdirectory in /media/music .... mkdir command will do that job.
2) set that directory as destination in /etc/fstab

Ah, got it! Basically, each storage is a sub-folder of "/media/music/". Where mpd directory library is pointing to parent folder "/media/music"?

So obvious when ones know how. I guess I should be exercising my brain-cells little more often! :D

Cheers again Miero.
Chanh

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Miero,

Again thanks for all of the information and clarifications. And as I've been planning out my short-term solution to feed I2S to my Buffalo-II, I am confused on one more thing.

Per the great and wonderfully informative HiFiDuino here:

PCM (I2S) and DSD on the Same Wires | H i F i D U I N O

and here:

B-II | H i F i D U I N O

To feed both I2S & DSD to the ESS9018 DAC as used in the Buffalo-II WITHOUT having to change connections between the too, the pin-mapping is as follows:

BuffII-----I2S------DSD

DCK------BCLK----DSD Clock
D1--------LRCLK---DATA Left (DSD1)
D2--------DATA----DATA Right (DSD2)

I'm not clear from your listing of the pinouts that you have enabled this... sorry to be so dense!

If it does not match, Would you provide an option on the DSD switch to enable a 'pin-compabitibility' DSD mode, at least for a 2-channel Buffalo-II implementation?

Otherwise my short-term DIY solution will require some sort of pin switching circuit to enable both I2S & DSD signals into my Buffalo-II.

Please clarify for dumb old me!

THANKS!!!

Greg in Mississippi

Last edited:
Hi Miero,

With gratitude, I'd like sharing with you my setup via your fabulous 'Botic driver'!
BBB with Botic driver bootable from eMMC into my gigantic DDDAC with 22 x 1794A chips stacking in parallel modded with 47 Tent Lab Shunts. The sound? Goooossseebums! Dare not imagine when I able to get this finalised.
Many thanks for your wonderful energies/works into this fabulous driver! :)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I now able to get MPaD to display cover for each album...! :)

Btw, I tried Squeezelite(thanks to Chrismm for his helps) with your Botic and found the built in MPD sounded way better, crystal clear, and very precise! Sum Up..., Love It!
Big Thank You again!
Chanh

Last edited:
No need to bother with this. The cape will handle all of this - automatic I2S/DSD switch is integrated... :)

Am I missing something miero? Why output i2s and DSD on separate gpio pins when the ES9018 chip can seamlessly accept both i2s and DSD on the same input pins? The i2s/DSD switch on the Botic appears to be superfluous. Grateful if you could turn the light on for me.

At least having an option to output both on the same pin would seem ideal?

Cheers

Ray

nautibuoy, because output pins on the BBB have to be switched ... DAC is able to receive data on same pins, but BBB is not able to generate both I2S and DSD on same pins.

Here is the scheme:
I2S: (BCLK) (LRCK) (DATA1) (DATA2) (DATA3) (DATA4) ... 2 channels in each data pin
DSD: (BCLK) (DATA1) (DATA2) (DATA3) (DATA4) ... 1 channel in each data pin

nautibuoy, because output pins on the BBB have to be switched ... DAC is able to receive data on same pins, but BBB is not able to generate both I2S and DSD on same pins.

Here is the scheme:
I2S: (BCLK) (LRCK) (DATA1) (DATA2) (DATA3) (DATA4) ... 2 channels in each data pin
DSD: (BCLK) (DATA1) (DATA2) (DATA3) (DATA4) ... 1 channel in each data pin

Ah! got it.

Thanks

Ray

Does anyone know if its possible to run the HiFiduino code on the BBB whilst running Miero's driver etc

My ideal bit of kit would be to have a say 7" touch screen and SSD all built in to my BIII DAC so it could run stand alone, and control it all from the Touch screen and phone etc, I guess you could have 2 screens like the in the image but that doesn't seem very elegant.

Attachments

• Sketchup Screen.JPG
    Sketchup Screen.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 95
Last edited: