Go Back   Home > Forums > > >

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 22nd May 2021, 01:52 PM   #3171
VitSomeo is offline VitSomeo
diyAudio Member

Changing of the MCLK freqs in config file doesnt help. Beagle stop playing if they are wrong.

The issue anyway is in the acceptance of 64 or 32 bits.
Old 14th June 2021, 07:03 AM   #3172
Abra is offline Abra  Hungary
diyAudio Member

I had a BBB-> Hermes-> Cronus-> ES9038PRO DAC configuration. Unfortunately, the DAC is broken. The new DAC does not need the features provided by Hermes-Cronus. But I want to recycle BBB and Pulsar clocks in a new frontend/streamer.
I'm looking for a BBB software image, capable to handle 44.1x and 48x external clock signals.
Old 29th June 2021, 07:49 PM   #3173
spresto9 is offline spresto9  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Squeezelite confg help needed

Hi all,

Can anyone please help a total Linux novice make sure Squeezelite on my BBB Hermes Cronus outputs 24bit 192 I2S so that I can convert to S/PDIF with the S/PDIF transceiver.

I managed to install Botic4 and Squeezelite in 2015 mostly by copy/paste instructions without really knowing what I was doing, but its worked perfectly since then.

I need to convert to S/PDIF and I think the reason I'm having trouble with the transceiver is that Squeezelite may be outputting 32 bit.

I can log into root Botic using PuTTY but after that I'm stuck!!

I have spent several hours searching the relevant forum topics without success

Some VERY basic help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Steve

Last edited by spresto9; 29th June 2021 at 07:51 PM. Reason: typo
Old 29th June 2021, 07:56 PM   #3174
coroner21 is offline coroner21
diyAudio Member

Hi, I believe you would need to change the blr_ratio parameter of the card module... This is set to 64 per default (stereo 2x32bits per sample) and should work with 48 for 2x24bits.
You can review miero's documentation here: http://bbb.ieero.com/
Old 30th June 2021, 10:34 AM   #3175
francolargo is offline francolargo  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spresto9 View Post
Hi all,

Can anyone please help a total Linux novice make sure Squeezelite on my BBB Hermes Cronus outputs 24bit 192 I2S so that I can convert to S/PDIF with the S/PDIF transceiver.

I managed to install Botic4 and Squeezelite in 2015 mostly by copy/paste instructions without really knowing what I was doing, but its worked perfectly since then.

I need to convert to S/PDIF and I think the reason I'm having trouble with the transceiver is that Squeezelite may be outputting 32 bit.

I can log into root Botic using PuTTY but after that I'm stuck!!

I have spent several hours searching the relevant forum topics without success

Some VERY basic help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Steve
Hey Steve,

If Squeezelite is the only player you will be using then perhaps some of its options will do the trick.

The command line option -a allows you to select an output bit depth. Squeezelite has many command line options described here: Man page of SQUEEZELITE

You simply add options when you start the program running, like this:
‘Squeezelite -a 4096:1024:24:0’

Hint: it might also work to simply use ‘-f 24’, or ‘-a ::24:’ (depending on the version you are running - which you can check using ‘Squeezelite -?’)

Best,

Frank

Last edited by francolargo; 30th June 2021 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 30th June 2021, 01:11 PM   #3176
diyAudio Member

Hi Frank
Thanks for the help, back in 2015 it was you that helped me get going with a startup script! just edited that script to include -a 24 -r 192000
after restart its working, is there a way to check the rate and format being output?
Many thanks Steve
Old 30th June 2021, 02:44 PM   #3177
diyAudio Member

Good, Steve, but I think the two colons between -a and 24 are likely important. As you can read in the manual page, there are multiple parameters set by -a and bit depth is the third of either 4 or 5. Buffer size of 4096 and period of 1024 are usually good. (I double both for my particular system. ) That is the rationale for the longer startup command - to avoid any lower quality defaults.

To answer your second question, yes! There is a text file several directories deep that reports current ALSA data stream. I’m away from my system for the time being and can’t look up the file path. Sorry. Perhaps it is in the docs from Meiro that Coroner21 cited above.
Old 30th June 2021, 05:12 PM   #3178
VitSomeo is offline VitSomeo
diyAudio Member

As I wrote above, blr_ratio work correctly only as 32 or 64.
Any other setting give unexpected LRCK frequency.
Old 1st July 2021, 07:48 AM   #3179
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by francolargo View Post
Good, Steve, but I think the two colons between -a and 24 are likely important. As you can read in the manual page, there are multiple parameters set by -a and bit depth is the third of either 4 or 5. Buffer size of 4096 and period of 1024 are usually good. (I double both for my particular system. ) That is the rationale for the longer startup command - to avoid any lower quality defaults.

To answer your second question, yes! There is a text file several directories deep that reports current ALSA data stream. Iím away from my system for the time being and canít look up the file path. Sorry. Perhaps it is in the docs from Meiro that Coroner21 cited above.
Thanks Frank
I have changed it to -a 4096:1024:24:0 working fine, just need to check output, if an when you have time would you kindley post the path to the text file.
Cheers Steve
Old 1st July 2021, 11:48 AM   #3180
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spresto9 View Post
Thanks Frank
I have changed it to -a 4096:1024:24:0 working fine, just need to check output, if an when you have time would you kindley post the path to the text file.
Cheers Steve
I will be away from my system most of the summer but I was able to find it in some of my code on GitHub. The file name is Ďhw_paramsí and it only exists with a signal running.

proc/asound/Botic/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params

All the best!

Frank

Support for Botic Linux driverHide this!Advertise here!