Go Back   Home > Forums > > >

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 10th September 2020, 08:19 PM   #3141
coroner21 is offline coroner21
diyAudio Member

To my understanding the concepts of clock master and slave apply to the bit clock and frame sync only. For botic it is always assumed that the MCASP is the master for this and not the codec. Indeed the DAI format setting specifies the master / slave configuration between codec and platform as well as other settings and I would assume it needs to be changed for TDM mode.

With regards to the audio master clock (which is divided down to generate the different signals), the botic driver I maintain currently only supports the default configuration of a Hermes - Cronus combination where two different clock frequencies are available on one signal input which can be switched by a GPIO.

Alternative configurations that used to be supported with earlier versions of the driver have not been implemented mainly because I do not use them. Regarding clocks these alternatives are:
- Using only the BBB internal clock for 48k based frequencies (this means no playback / too fast playback for 44.1k based material)
- Using the internal BBB clock together with one external clock for 44.1k

Happy to re-integrate them based on the rewrite of the machine code driver if someone would be willing to put some initial effort into it.
Old 10th September 2020, 08:41 PM   #3142
diyAudio Member

Actually the DAI format setting would not necessarily need to be changed for TDM mode...
Old 11th September 2020, 02:57 AM   #3143
gschmott is offline gschmott  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Trouble Integrating Coroner21 Botic Driver in Yocto Linux Distro

Thanks for the insights into the botic clocking design. As I mentioned, I'm a noob when it comes to ASOC driver design and clocking. I tried the following changes:

Code:
Index: git/card/botic-card.c
===================================================================
--- git.orig/card/botic-card.c
+++ git/card/botic-card.c
@@ -23,6 +23,8 @@ static int dai_format = SND_SOC_DAIFMT_C

static int blr_ratio = 64;

+static int clk_master = 0;
+
 struct botic_priv {
 	unsigned long clk44_freq;
 	unsigned long clk48_freq;
@@ -66,12 +68,12 @@ static int botic_hw_params(struct snd_pc
 	}

/* set the codec system clock */
-	ret = snd_soc_dai_set_sysclk(codec_dai, 0, sysclk, SND_SOC_CLOCK_IN);
+	ret = snd_soc_dai_set_sysclk(codec_dai, 0, sysclk, clk_master ? SND_SOC_CLOCK_OUT : SND_SOC_CLOCK_IN);
 	if ((ret < 0) && (ret != -ENOTSUPP))
 		return ret;

/* use the external clock */
-	ret = snd_soc_dai_set_sysclk(cpu_dai, 0, sysclk, SND_SOC_CLOCK_IN);
+	ret = snd_soc_dai_set_sysclk(cpu_dai, 0, sysclk, clk_master ? SND_SOC_CLOCK_OUT : SND_SOC_CLOCK_IN);
 	if (ret < 0) {
 		printk(KERN_WARNING "botic-card: unable to set clock to CPU; ret=%d", ret);
 		return ret;
@@ -311,6 +313,9 @@ static struct platform_driver asoc_botic

module_platform_driver(asoc_botic_card_driver);

+module_param(clk_master, int, 0644);
+MODULE_PARM_DESC(clk_master, "Choose between clock master or slave");
+
 module_param(blr_ratio, int, 0644);
 MODULE_PARM_DESC(blr_ratio, "force BCLK/LRCLK ratio");

Index: git/dts/src/arm/BOTIC-00A0.dts
--- git.orig/dts/src/arm/BOTIC-00A0.dts
+++ git/dts/src/arm/BOTIC-00A0.dts
@@ -78,18 +78,18 @@
 			mcasp0_custom_pins: mcasp0_custom_pins {
 				pinctrl-single,pins = <
 					/* bitclock */
-					AM33XX_IOPAD(0x990, PIN_OUTPUT | MUX_MODE0)	/* mcasp0_aclkx.mcasp0_aclkx */
+					AM33XX_IOPAD(0x990, PIN_OUTPUT | PIN_INPUT | MUX_MODE0)	/* mcasp0_aclkx.mcasp0_aclkx */
 					/* wordclock */
-					AM33XX_IOPAD(0x994, PIN_OUTPUT | MUX_MODE0)	/* mcasp0_fsx.mcasp0_fsx */
+					AM33XX_IOPAD(0x994, PIN_OUTPUT | PIN_INPUT | MUX_MODE0)	/* mcasp0_fsx.mcasp0_fsx */
 					/* data pins */
-					AM33XX_IOPAD(0x998, PIN_OUTPUT | MUX_MODE0)	/* mcasp0_axr0.mcasp0_axr0 */
-					AM33XX_IOPAD(0x9a8, PIN_OUTPUT | MUX_MODE0)    /* mcasp0_axr1 */
+					AM33XX_IOPAD(0x998, PIN_OUTPUT | PIN_INPUT | MUX_MODE0)	/* mcasp0_axr0.mcasp0_axr0 */
+					AM33XX_IOPAD(0x9a8, PIN_OUTPUT | PIN_INPUT | MUX_MODE0)    /* mcasp0_axr1 */
 					/* disable eCAP0_in_PWM0_out to allow usage of mcasp0_axr2 on P9_42 */
 					AM33XX_IOPAD(0x964, PIN_INPUT | MUX_MODE7)              /* ecap0_in_pwm0_out.gpio0_7 */
-					AM33XX_IOPAD(0x9a0, PIN_OUTPUT | MUX_MODE2)	/* mcasp0_aclkr.mcasp0_axr2 */
-					AM33XX_IOPAD(0x9a4, PIN_OUTPUT | MUX_MODE2)    /* mcasp0_fsr.mcasp0_axr3 */
+					AM33XX_IOPAD(0x9a0, PIN_OUTPUT | PIN_INPUT | MUX_MODE2)	/* mcasp0_aclkr.mcasp0_axr2 */
+					AM33XX_IOPAD(0x9a4, PIN_OUTPUT | PIN_INPUT | MUX_MODE2)    /* mcasp0_fsr.mcasp0_axr3 */
 					/* master clock */
-					AM33XX_IOPAD(0x9ac, PIN_INPUT | MUX_MODE0)	/* MCASP0_AHCLKX -> MCASP0_AHCLKX (I2S_MCLK_OUT)- in */
+					AM33XX_IOPAD(0x9ac, PIN_OUTPUT | PIN_INPUT | MUX_MODE0)	/* MCASP0_AHCLKX -> MCASP0_AHCLKX (I2S_MCLK_OUT)- in */

>;
 			};
Unfortunately, when I attempted to configure the card driver to be clk_master=1 I now see pulses on the MCLK pin (P9.25) of the BeagleBone but the rate seems much too low (~4 MHz) for a 16 channel, 32 bit playback example (with blr_ratio=512). I would expect BCLK and FSYNC to be driven as well (since the BeagleBone is providing clocking to an external device) but both clocks were inactive. I was hoping, given my configuration options above, you might be able to offer some suggestions where I might've gone wrong. I also made the ARX0-3 pins both inputs/outputs to accomodate either capture or playback. Perhaps their direction should be mapped to mirror the serconfig settings in the device tree (e.g. set all the pins to 3 rather that 1 or 2)?

Again, any thoughts you might have would be helpful. I'm a bit in the dark at the moment fully understanding how all these clocking settings are related.
Old 12th September 2020, 03:24 AM   #3144
chientechnical is offline chientechnical  Viet Nam
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppy View Post
You can get acquainted with the beta versions: Botic7 — Yandex.Disk

Description and changelog in Russian. But for the release, I will prepare documentation in English.
Temporarily support for this firmware on the Russian forum:
Сетевой плеер на Beaglebone Black — чистое удовольствие - Цифровые источники - DA Stereo

In the near future I will make partial support for WiFi USB.
Tks so much.
If only use the BBB as streamers. Your images are very fast on/off <3s, and easily for the change other protocol in 1s direct on web browser, easy for new user linux system. I very like it.
Old 13th September 2020, 08:17 PM   #3145
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschmott View Post
Thanks for the insights into the botic clocking design. As I mentioned, I'm a noob when it comes to ASOC driver design and clocking. I tried the following changes:

Code:
Index: git/card/botic-card.c
--- git.orig/card/botic-card.c
+++ git/card/botic-card.c
@@ -23,6 +23,8 @@ static int dai_format = SND_SOC_DAIFMT_C

static int blr_ratio = 64;

+static int clk_master = 0;
+
 struct botic_priv {
     unsigned long clk44_freq;
     unsigned long clk48_freq;
@@ -66,12 +68,12 @@ static int botic_hw_params(struct snd_pc
     }

/* set the codec system clock */
-    ret = snd_soc_dai_set_sysclk(codec_dai, 0, sysclk, SND_SOC_CLOCK_IN);
+    ret = snd_soc_dai_set_sysclk(codec_dai, 0, sysclk, clk_master ? SND_SOC_CLOCK_OUT : SND_SOC_CLOCK_IN);
     if ((ret < 0) && (ret != -ENOTSUPP))
         return ret;

/* use the external clock */
-    ret = snd_soc_dai_set_sysclk(cpu_dai, 0, sysclk, SND_SOC_CLOCK_IN);
+    ret = snd_soc_dai_set_sysclk(cpu_dai, 0, sysclk, clk_master ? SND_SOC_CLOCK_OUT : SND_SOC_CLOCK_IN);
     if (ret < 0) {
         printk(KERN_WARNING "botic-card: unable to set clock to CPU; ret=%d", ret);
         return ret;
@@ -311,6 +313,9 @@ static struct platform_driver asoc_botic

module_platform_driver(asoc_botic_card_driver);

+module_param(clk_master, int, 0644);
+MODULE_PARM_DESC(clk_master, "Choose between clock master or slave");
+
 module_param(blr_ratio, int, 0644);
 MODULE_PARM_DESC(blr_ratio, "force BCLK/LRCLK ratio");

Index: git/dts/src/arm/BOTIC-00A0.dts
--- git.orig/dts/src/arm/BOTIC-00A0.dts
+++ git/dts/src/arm/BOTIC-00A0.dts
@@ -78,18 +78,18 @@
             mcasp0_custom_pins: mcasp0_custom_pins {
                 pinctrl-single,pins = <
                     /* bitclock */
-                    AM33XX_IOPAD(0x990, PIN_OUTPUT | MUX_MODE0)    /* mcasp0_aclkx.mcasp0_aclkx */
+                    AM33XX_IOPAD(0x990, PIN_OUTPUT | PIN_INPUT | MUX_MODE0)    /* mcasp0_aclkx.mcasp0_aclkx */
                     /* wordclock */
-                    AM33XX_IOPAD(0x994, PIN_OUTPUT | MUX_MODE0)    /* mcasp0_fsx.mcasp0_fsx */
+                    AM33XX_IOPAD(0x994, PIN_OUTPUT | PIN_INPUT | MUX_MODE0)    /* mcasp0_fsx.mcasp0_fsx */
                     /* data pins */
-                    AM33XX_IOPAD(0x998, PIN_OUTPUT | MUX_MODE0)    /* mcasp0_axr0.mcasp0_axr0 */
-                    AM33XX_IOPAD(0x9a8, PIN_OUTPUT | MUX_MODE0)    /* mcasp0_axr1 */
+                    AM33XX_IOPAD(0x998, PIN_OUTPUT | PIN_INPUT | MUX_MODE0)    /* mcasp0_axr0.mcasp0_axr0 */
+                    AM33XX_IOPAD(0x9a8, PIN_OUTPUT | PIN_INPUT | MUX_MODE0)    /* mcasp0_axr1 */
                     /* disable eCAP0_in_PWM0_out to allow usage of mcasp0_axr2 on P9_42 */
                     AM33XX_IOPAD(0x964, PIN_INPUT | MUX_MODE7)              /* ecap0_in_pwm0_out.gpio0_7 */
-                    AM33XX_IOPAD(0x9a0, PIN_OUTPUT | MUX_MODE2)    /* mcasp0_aclkr.mcasp0_axr2 */
-                    AM33XX_IOPAD(0x9a4, PIN_OUTPUT | MUX_MODE2)    /* mcasp0_fsr.mcasp0_axr3 */
+                    AM33XX_IOPAD(0x9a0, PIN_OUTPUT | PIN_INPUT | MUX_MODE2)    /* mcasp0_aclkr.mcasp0_axr2 */
+                    AM33XX_IOPAD(0x9a4, PIN_OUTPUT | PIN_INPUT | MUX_MODE2)    /* mcasp0_fsr.mcasp0_axr3 */
                     /* master clock */
-                    AM33XX_IOPAD(0x9ac, PIN_INPUT | MUX_MODE0)    /* MCASP0_AHCLKX -> MCASP0_AHCLKX (I2S_MCLK_OUT)- in */
+                    AM33XX_IOPAD(0x9ac, PIN_OUTPUT | PIN_INPUT | MUX_MODE0)    /* MCASP0_AHCLKX -> MCASP0_AHCLKX (I2S_MCLK_OUT)- in */

>;
             };
Unfortunately, when I attempted to configure the card driver to be clk_master=1 I now see pulses on the MCLK pin (P9.25) of the BeagleBone but the rate seems much too low (~4 MHz) for a 16 channel, 32 bit playback example (with blr_ratio=512). I would expect BCLK and FSYNC to be driven as well (since the BeagleBone is providing clocking to an external device) but both clocks were inactive. I was hoping, given my configuration options above, you might be able to offer some suggestions where I might've gone wrong. I also made the ARX0-3 pins both inputs/outputs to accomodate either capture or playback. Perhaps their direction should be mapped to mirror the serconfig settings in the device tree (e.g. set all the pins to 3 rather that 1 or 2)?

Again, any thoughts you might have would be helpful. I'm a bit in the dark at the moment fully understanding how all these clocking settings are related.
Lets take this offline since your configuration and hardware do not really seem to be the standard people are talking about here. I will respond via PM.
Old 2nd December 2020, 10:21 PM   #3146
Sunyang is offline Sunyang
diyAudio Member

Dear more experiences colleagues. I would like to ask you about help. For one project I need 4 channels DSD only NAA for HQPlayer. I bought BBB rev. C. It looks promise, BBB has external oscillators input on P9/25 and clock selection output on P9/24. Also has 4 usable serializers:
P9/27 mcasp0_axr3 (data3) = DSD4,
P9/30 mcasp0_axr0 (data0) = DSD1,
P9/41 mcasp0_axr1 (data1) = DSD2,
P9/42 or 28 mcasp0_axr2 (data2) = DSD3,
P9/31 DSD clock.
I do not need DSD ON, LRCLK, BCLK…, but MUTE signal can be useful, but I don’t know, where can be remapped from commonly used P9/27.
Can you recommended me which present system and driver can fit these requirements? And can you help me with some important steps, how can go through. I am hardware guy and not familiar with Linux, Botic …
Thanks a lot
Old 2nd December 2020, 11:32 PM   #3147
mterbekke is offline mterbekke  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

exactly, that`s a good question.
Can the Mute pin applied when those 4 pins are used for Data?

From Miero`s web site:

--------
Mute pin
--------

Notice: This parameter is available in botic7

Emulation of mute pin on some of 1-4 data pins:
- kernel option snd_soc_davinci_mcasp.mute_pin
- file /sys/module/snd_soc_davinci_mcasp/parameters/mute_pin
which can be updated while system is running, but change
will be applied on the next start of playback

Supported values for mute_pin:
-1 ... mute pin functionality is disabled
or these additive numbers:
+ 1 ... signal mute on pin 0
+ 2 ... signal mute on pin 1
+ 4 ... signal mute on pin 2
+ 8 ... signal mute on pin 3
+ 16777216 ... invert the mute signal

It seems the Mute Pin is just another Data signal, so with a Mute pin enabled the maximum PCM channels are 6 and the maximum DSD channels are 3?

Any option to use different pins, or is this the result of having to give up 1 serializer for a Mute pin?

Guys, anybody have an idea to get 4 DSD channels as well as 1 mute pin?
Old 3rd December 2020, 01:53 PM   #3148
mterbekke is offline mterbekke  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunyang View Post
Dear more experiences colleagues. I would like to ask you about help. For one project I need 4 channels DSD only NAA for HQPlayer. I bought BBB rev. C. It looks promise, BBB has external oscillators input on P9/25 and clock selection output on P9/24. Also has 4 usable serializers:
P9/27 mcasp0_axr3 (data3) = DSD4,
P9/30 mcasp0_axr0 (data0) = DSD1,
P9/41 mcasp0_axr1 (data1) = DSD2,
P9/42 or 28 mcasp0_axr2 (data2) = DSD3,
P9/31 DSD clock.
I do not need DSD ON, LRCLK, BCLK…, but MUTE signal can be useful, but I don’t know, where can be remapped from commonly used P9/27.
Can you recommended me which present system and driver can fit these requirements? And can you help me with some important steps, how can go through. I am hardware guy and not familiar with Linux, Botic …
Thanks a lot
Jan, if you look here:

Botic7 — Yandex.Disk

at the Readme english file at the bottom it says:

"When working via I2S, it is possible to use two types of mute signal
1. Signal generated by the driver - 27 pin P9
2. The signal generated by the system based on data from the players and the Alsa subsystem - 28 pin P9.
Setting in the script /opt/mutedsc2.sh
The firmware has standard user settings via the web interface Nymeria
Shell access via SSH - root / root"

You could try that and see if it works.

Marco
Old 3rd December 2020, 10:56 PM   #3149
Sunyang is offline Sunyang
diyAudio Member

I am afraid that P9/27 and P9/28 are booth serializers outputs and BBB has only 4 serializers. MUTE signal looks similar as DSD ON signal. For DSD only DAC don’t need DSD ON signal, so it can be useful replace it by MUTE. Or the best I think will be on P9/26 have something like NOR(DSD On) OR MUTE signal. Or use any another pin then P9/24, 25, 27, 31, 30, 41, 42 (28). Any idea?
  Reply to this post

Support for Botic Linux driverHide this!Advertise here!