Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 7th October 2019, 05:56 PM   #2901
miero is offline miero  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Volumio was much more user friendly than anything other, but it also required more RAM than BBB has.
Old 7th October 2019, 09:32 PM   #2902
amigo1 is offline amigo1
diyAudio Member

Default tinycorelinux for bbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by miero View Post
Volumio was much more user friendly than anything other, but it also required more RAM than BBB has.
How about using MPD+ BBB +Tiny Core Linux, Micro Core Linux, 12MB Linux GUI Desktop, Live, Frugal, Extendable ?
What player can be used for this purpose?

Last edited by amigo1; 7th October 2019 at 09:44 PM.
Old 7th October 2019, 09:39 PM   #2903
amigo1 is offline amigo1
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abra View Post
Can you tell me what are the differences between the Volumio music player and the Debian players? You seems rather unhappy with the Debian, don't you?

I used Volumio and Runeadio till now, so I'm not familiar with Arch/Debian user interface.
I use MPDROID and M.A.L.P. - MPD Client. Volumio interface is more user-friendly and can listen to Internet radio (huge select)!
Old 7th October 2019, 11:26 PM   #2904
Murdoc is offline Murdoc  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
[...] Arch/Debian user interface.

Debian is one of many Linux operating systems, and a very conservative one, which means it will work.
Every Linux has many choices of graphical (desktop) environments. You even can use it headless (without a monitor), which is great for using it as a music device.
The big difference is that there isn't a preconfigurated Debian, you have to install e.g. the music player software yourself. But this is easy, and there are plenty tutorials. Give it a shot, even if you don't like it, you've learned something!
Cheers Matthias
Old 14th October 2019, 07:26 PM   #2905
amigo1 is offline amigo1
diyAudio Member

Default update Volumio for BBB

Quote:
It is really big problem, that BBB hasn't 1gb RAM?
Old 15th October 2019, 09:29 AM   #2906
miero is offline miero  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigo1 View Post
How about using MPD+ BBB +Tiny Core Linux, Micro Core Linux, 12MB Linux GUI Desktop, Live, Frugal, Extendable ?
What player can be used for this purpose?
No, this one is not for arm v7hf architecture.

Quote:
It is really big problem, that BBB hasn't 1gb RAM?
512MB DDR3 RAM
Old 16th October 2019, 08:20 AM   #2907
amigo1 is offline amigo1
diyAudio Member

Quote:
No, this one is not for arm v7hf architecture.
Does it make sense to port PiCore to ARM Cortex-A8 architecture?
Old 17th October 2019, 09:52 AM   #2908
Abra is offline Abra  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Facts:
1. The ram is small, and Volumio can't handle too many local music files. Actually it goes to infinite loop in this case.
2. The system seems too slow to perform a complex tasks, like a mixer. Dropout was occurred with high resolution items. Fortunately I do not use this feature.

IMHO:
I can live with 1. & 2. above.
The BBB->Hermes->Cronus system adds the possibility to use better clocs than normally available on SOCs. Less noise means better musical reproduction, and it's really noticeable with Pulsar clocks.
At the same time, it is too special solution, from which it is difficult or impossible to move on. It was relatively easy to bypass the isolator of Hermes, which only made the voice worse. But after listening to many small Linux computers, I found that not only a good clock is needed, but also need a powerful computer (compared to the BBB) in order to have more natural sound.

The benefit of the good clock is maxed in this system, but the otherwise poor BBB hardware also limits the playing capabilities of this system.

BeagleBone AI may be a solution, but I don't know if I2S really works, or just on paper.
Old 17th October 2019, 03:12 PM   #2909
amigo1 is offline amigo1
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Facts:
1. The ram is small, and Volumio can't handle too many local music files. Actually it goes to infinite loop in this case.
2. The system seems too slow to perform a complex tasks, like a mixer. Dropout was occurred with high resolution items. Fortunately I do not use this feature.

IMHO:
I can live with 1. & 2. above.
The BBB->Hermes->Cronus system adds the possibility to use better clocs than normally available on SOCs. Less noise means better musical reproduction, and it's really noticeable with Pulsar clocks.
At the same time, it is too special solution, from which it is difficult or impossible to move on. It was relatively easy to bypass the isolator of Hermes, which only made the voice worse. But after listening to many small Linux computers, I found that not only a good clock is needed, but also need a powerful computer (compared to the BBB) in order to have more natural sound.

The benefit of the good clock is maxed in this system, but the otherwise poor BBB hardware also limits the playing capabilities of this system.

BeagleBone AI may be a solution, but I don't know if I2S really works, or just on paper.
Thank you for explanation!
Please specify why Volumio should hanle too many local music files?
I don't think that a powerful computer (compared to the BBB) has more natural sound.
Old 17th October 2019, 09:55 PM   #2910
Abra is offline Abra  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Please specify why Volumio should hanle too many local music files?
sound.
Some people test hifi mods permanently with a few tracks only. They won't complain certainly. Otherwise, all other software/hardware players I tried can handle 1TB SSD filled with music files.

Quote:
I don't think that a powerful computer (compared to the BBB) has more natural sound.
If we talk about RPI SOC family with the long waited RPI specific Hermes, we agree. They will sound probably worse than the BBB.

Support for Botic Linux driverHide this!Advertise here!