Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 18th May 2019, 10:10 PM   #2721
D3nsityD3nt is offline D3nsityD3nt  Italy
diyAudio Member

Support for Botic Linux driver
I have sound!!!!!!!!
From speaker-test 2 only
no from aplay -l
Is all ok then?
Old 18th May 2019, 10:12 PM   #2722
diyAudio Member

I have installed squeezelite, but i didn't figure out if it is even working. Is it the only option for UPnP connections? Are there other solutions? Maybe better ones? Simplier to use?

In the meant time big time thank you! We have made a big step in my merely started head breaking adventure! Great work! I can see the light now! :-)

Last edited by D3nsityD3nt; 18th May 2019 at 10:15 PM.
Old 18th May 2019, 10:29 PM   #2723
twluke is offline twluke  Japan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3nsityD3nt View Post
I have sound!!!!!!!!
From speaker-test 2 only
no from aplay -l
Is all ok then?
Congratulation! You've made it!

aplay -l does not make sound. It only shows what kind of alsa device is available.

Rgds,
Old 18th May 2019, 10:35 PM   #2724
twluke is offline twluke  Japan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3nsityD3nt View Post
I have installed squeezelite, but i didn't figure out if it is even working. Is it the only option for UPnP connections? Are there other solutions? Maybe better ones? Simplier to use?

In the meant time big time thank you! We have made a big step in my merely started head breaking adventure! Great work! I can see the light now! :-)
My suggestion is to try MPD instead of squeezelite. MPD can bring music from your Win server and can be controlled by android smartphone. Try to go to MPD:

apt-get install MPD.

Another rough road may be waiting for you.

Rgds,
Old 18th May 2019, 11:33 PM   #2725
diyAudio Member

In deed
Quote:
dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
What do I do?
Old 18th May 2019, 11:34 PM   #2726
diyAudio Member

oh it is running. Didn't before. Disregard The post above
Old 18th May 2019, 11:36 PM   #2727
diyAudio Member

If for time being I wanted to play some music from usb memory. Doe's botic will regognise the drive? Or should I have to mount something. How do I do that?
Old 18th May 2019, 11:47 PM   #2728
diyAudio Member

Thank you for the day. Going to sleep it is too much for me today.
I see you tomorrow :-)
Old 19th May 2019, 02:30 PM   #2729
francolargo is offline francolargo  United States
diyAudio Member

Good morning Kris,

You must manually mount a usb drive on the BBB. It's easy.

From the command line:

1. execute 'lsblk'
2. plug in your USB drive
3. (again) execute 'lsblk' - your USB drive will now be added to the list from step 1 and you can identify it. It should look something like '/dev/sbd1'.
4. [optional] If you are going to be doing this repeatedly, it is a good idea to create a 'home' for the USB drive information - someplace reproducible for when the USB drive is plugged in. For this you create a directory. Something like... "USB" in the (existing) folder "media".
'(sudo, if not operating as 'root') mkdir /media/USB'
5. Now 'mount' the usb drive by attaching it to a file location...
'(sudo) mount <your USB drive ID from the 'lsblk' step above> /mnt
OR
'(sudo) mount <your USB drive ID from the 'lsblk step above>(space)<the directory mount point you created in step 4>

Example as 'root': 'mount /dev/sbd1 /media/USB

When you're done: 'unmount /dev/sbd1 /media/USB

By the way, if you are operating the BBB from eMMC, this procedure can allow you to use the uSD slot just like a USB drive, or if you are operating from the uSD card, it can make available the onboard eMMC memory for any purpose you like.

Now...

You are facing a choice of systems to send music to your DAC... I can give you specific advice on squeezelite, because I use it. There are two parts. Part one is Logitech media server, which you can run on virtually any computer. The second is the client for BBB, which is squeezelite. Both are being actively maintained and updated by dedicated volunteers, and that is a valuable service to people like us who don't like to fix software when it needs to be updated. You can read about Logitech Media server online. Wherever your stored music is located, it will make it available to the BBB. You would put it on your windows machine, and set it up from its own web page. [http://<the IP address of your windows machine>:9000]. No need to move files, just tell LMS where to find your stored music. When you add files, LMS will find them in a scheduled scan, or you can manually start a scan to update it. So if your music is organized in JRiver, you can keep doing what you've done to store and archive files and LMS will play along. [I did the same using iTunes...]

You have messed with squeezelite, which is available via 'apt-get install'. When I run squeezelite, I use the following command:

'nice -n -19 squeezelite -z -C 1 -o hw:0,0 -a 4096:1024:32:0' (leave out the single quotes)

The 'nice -n -19' part raises the priority of squeezelite within the operating system.
The '-z' sets it up as a continuously-running daemon.
the -o is optional, but I use it anyway - its the output address for the sound data
the -a setting works well with with the BBB - it specifies buffer and timing resources, bit depth, etc.

Like MPD, there are various programs that will operate Logitech Media Server from your phone. I use 'iPeng' for iOS, but there are others. The nice thing about LMS is the web page that it creates. You can also play music from that interface - just to get going. And... As you become more proficient and critical, there are advanced controls in LMS that are quite powerful. And one convenience that I really love is there is a LMS plugin called 'Spotty' that lets me use any remote web interface to Spotify and channel the streaming music to the BBB. (Your remote interface has to be running on the same local network as LMS). Clearly, the user interface that Spotify has created is quite sophisticated and with this feature activated, there is no fumbling around to find what you want to stream. You 'just do it'! Of course, Spotify is a compressed signal. But LMS will make it sound as good as possible...

If you decide to go with LMS, I can give you links to explain some of the advanced features.

Have a good day!

Frank
Old 19th May 2019, 04:27 PM   #2730
diyAudio Member

Thank you again Frank
I have everything set up but not the Squeezelite on BBB. This seems to me like big stairs to go. Seems simple as you know it but for a new noob like me is a real challenge.
I dont know how to place right user names etc in right places to make the LMS see the bbb squeezelite. LMS is set up but on the part of bbb nothing configured. Like this
Quote:
'$USER --exec /usr/local/bin/squeezelite -- -o hw:CARD=Botic,DEV=0 -p 55 -n BBB -C 1'
I just need some real life egsample with explanation to make me it to understand. And I can't find any online. There are just generic explanations.
I'm here half of the day looking for it. SOOO close and so far from playing lol.

Support for Botic Linux driverHide this!Advertise here!