Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 8th March 2019, 09:37 AM   #2631
miero is offline miero  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

cu6apum, yet it should be possible. you can use any other two available GPIO pins. the configuration is changed in the DTS file, so you need to recompile at least this file
Old 9th March 2019, 01:05 PM   #2632
coroner21 is offline coroner21
diyAudio Member

Quick update: GitHub - coroner21/linux-am33xbot: Arch Linux ARM Kernel with botic patches was updated to linux kernel version 5.0.
Old 9th March 2019, 05:14 PM   #2633
cu6apum is offline cu6apum  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coroner21 View Post
Quick update: GitHub - coroner21/linux-am33xbot: Arch Linux ARM Kernel with botic patches was updated to linux kernel version 5.0.
Great! Does power mgmt work? The 4.8.13 knows nothing about governors / sleep / mem mode...

Quote:
Originally Posted by miero View Post
cu6apum, yet it should be possible. you can use any other two available GPIO pins. the configuration is changed in the DTS file, so you need to recompile at least this file
Thanks, will try to figure out the way to pass this to kernel cmdline...
Old 9th March 2019, 07:29 PM   #2634
coroner21 is offline coroner21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cu6apum View Post
Great! Does power mgmt work? The 4.8.13 knows nothing about governors / sleep / mem mode...

Thanks, will try to figure out the way to pass this to kernel cmdline...
Regarding power mgt: what I could verify is cpufreq working fine. Sleep / standby I never tested, not sure if it is at all implemented for BBB.

For the GPIO pins: Kernel cmdline is not the right thing here. You will need to regenerate the device tree and specify there which pins are used for the switches.
Old 14th March 2019, 08:28 PM   #2635
Heathkit is offline Heathkit  United States
diyAudio Member

I am using BBB with Hermes/Cronus reclocker and I2S output (no USB) to a DDDAC. Is there a way to get info from BBB or Hermes/Cronus to drive simple LED's to indicate 44.1, 88.2, 176.4, 48, 96, or 192 sample rate of the file I am playing? As a bonus, but not necessary, bit depth indication of 16 or 24 would be nice too.

Sorry if this was covered, I tried searching this topic but found nothing.

Thanks!
Old 15th March 2019, 01:47 AM   #2636
francolargo is offline francolargo  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes, this can be done. I do something similar but with text output rather than LED output. ...though I don't care about bit depth.

Steps include:
A. Make an LED driver circuit if the LEDs you want to use draw too much current for direct drive from GPIO pins. [This is probably the case.] I use a simple 8 channel driver chip - ULN2803 or similar.
B. Learn how to initialize and control GPIO pins. I suggest doing this in Python, though bash works too.
C. Write a simple program to sense the parameters and indicate the results. You are talking about 6 rates and two bit depths, or 8 LEDs. Is that satisfactory? Another option is to use RGB LEDs and display color rather than lots of on-off locations. If I2C is an option, you have more display choices.

I have Python code working for options B and C, and am happy to share.
Old 15th March 2019, 02:46 AM   #2637
Heathkit is offline Heathkit  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks very much for your reply. I would appreciate the use of your Python code for the LED control.
Old 15th March 2019, 03:45 AM   #2638
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathkit View Post
Thanks very much for your reply. I would appreciate the use of your Python code for the LED control.
No problem. Since this is not specifically related to the kernel, meet me over at:

Control of BBB-based audio appliances

Frank
Old 20th March 2019, 04:29 PM   #2639
janho12345 is offline janho12345  Germany
diyAudio Member

I know this might be annoying for some people but I think it’s still interesting and an add on to the compatibility of playback methods:

In this new thread, encoded surround audio is received optically and fed to BB by i2s. The BeagleBone encodes the audio and gives out multichannel i2s.
Surround decoder for encoded digital audio (AC3, DTS, AAC) with Beagle Bone Black

I it possible to integrate that on top of botic?
Old Yesterday, 01:45 AM   #2640
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janho12345 View Post
In this new thread, encoded surround audio is received optically and fed to BB by i2s. The BeagleBone encodes the audio and gives out multichannel i2s.
...clip...
Is it possible to integrate that on top of botic?
It could be done. If I remember correctly, Botic still won't accept SPDIF input. But you can get around that by using a SPDIF to USB converter and there are several that I know of that do a good job. Botic/ALSA can manage the multi-channel streams and output them on different I2S channels. For example, here is 'arecord -L' from my BBB:
Code:
sysdefault:CARD=miniStreamer
    miniStreamer, USB Audio
    Default Audio Device
front:CARD=miniStreamer,DEV=0
    miniStreamer, USB Audio
    Front speakers
surround21:CARD=miniStreamer,DEV=0
    miniStreamer, USB Audio
    2.1 Surround output to Front and Subwoofer speakers
surround40:CARD=miniStreamer,DEV=0
    miniStreamer, USB Audio
    4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
surround41:CARD=miniStreamer,DEV=0
    miniStreamer, USB Audio
    4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround50:CARD=miniStreamer,DEV=0
    miniStreamer, USB Audio
    5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
surround51:CARD=miniStreamer,DEV=0
    miniStreamer, USB Audio
    5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround71:CARD=miniStreamer,DEV=0
    miniStreamer, USB Audio
    7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
iec958:CARD=miniStreamer,DEV=0
    miniStreamer, USB Audio
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
dmix:CARD=miniStreamer,DEV=0
    miniStreamer, USB Audio
    Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=miniStreamer,DEV=0
    miniStreamer, USB Audio
    Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=miniStreamer,DEV=0
    miniStreamer, USB Audio
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=miniStreamer,DEV=0
    miniStreamer, USB Audio
    Hardware device with all software conversions
root@beaglebone:/#
For this SPDIF->USB converter, the data source would be 'surround71:' from ALSA and the output would come from any of a few BBB program options for piping I2S out to Cronus. The I2S data could be 'as good as it gets', considering the signal source. However, the pipe programs may lock the sample rate rather than adapt if the stream changes frequency. You could adjust them manually. I believe that the snd_aloop module for ALSA can bypass the frequency restrictions of, for example 'aplay' or sox. I haven't needed to investigate that because all my SPDIF input is one frequency. Latency can be a deal-breaker for video sources. As a pipe and I2S renderer, the BBB can function well within the constraints of acceptable 'lip-synch'.

In my book, 7.1 surround is an interesting standard, is OK with video, but not meant for serious music reproduction because of the extreme phase and sampling issues.

Cheers,

Frank

Support for Botic Linux driverHide this!Advertise here!