Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 7th October 2017, 07:12 PM   #2371
miero is offline miero  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

I guess you are trying invalid syntax for parameters, try using this one:
- (step 1) snd_soc_botic.ext_masterclk=0
- (step 2) snd_soc_botic.ext_masterclk=2
- (step 3) snd_soc_botic.ext_masterclk=3
Old 8th October 2017, 05:26 PM   #2372
Abra is offline Abra  Hungary
diyAudio Member

The default setting was 3. I changed this single character only in the config file, to 0 first, to 2 next, and to 3 last. The clock select change is the only activity I could measured in case 3, but in every case the I2S pins were inactive.

Actually I get a syntax error message only in the 1. case, something like '0 is invalid parameter', I don't remember exactly the message. In case of 2. and 3. there were no syntax error message.

As far as I get BBB back from my audio friend, I will try to provide additional info.

Miero, thank you for your repetitive help - again.
Old 8th October 2017, 09:10 PM   #2373
diyAudio Member

Default Summary

Trying three different Botic settings I got the following results:

1. Setting snd_soc_botic.ext_masterclk=0 - I got syntax error message '0 invalid parameter' or the like. No activity measured on any I2S pin. Can somebody reproduce this with the volumio-2.194-2017-06-11-bbb.img ?

2. Setting snd_soc_botic.ext_masterclk=2 - For a very very short time, a warning message was flashed, like 'Alsa device 0,0 doesn't work'. No Activity measured on any I2S pin.

3. Setting snd_soc_botic.ext_masterclk=3 - No error or warning meassage. No Activity measured on any I2S pin, but when starting to play a 96KHz file, clock selector pin activity was found.

Note, I used a 24.000MHz oscillator as external clock, which is not exatly an audio frequency, but I don't think it's matter.

Here is the latest uEnv.txt file used, a bit edited with the nano editor to try pin maping:
#Docs: Beagleboard:U-boot partitioning layout 2.0 - eLinux.org

uname_r=4.8.13-botic7-rc3

#dtb=am335x-boneblack.dtb
dtb=am335x-boneblack-botic.dtb
#dtb=am335x-boneblack-botic-sabre32.dtb

cmdline=coherent_pool=1M imgpart=/dev/mmcblk0p2 imgfile=/volumio_current.sqsh quiet

#Docs for Botic: http://bbb.ieero.com/
optargs=snd_soc_botic.ext_masterclk=3 snd_soc_botic.serconfig=MDR-
#optargs=snd_soc_botic.ext_masterclk=3 snd_soc_botic.pinconfig=compat

# Fix console on older bootloaders
console=ttyS0,115200n8

##These are needed to be compliant with Angstrom's 2013.06.20 u-boot.

loadaddr=0x82000000
fdtaddr=0x88000000
rdaddr=0x88080000

initrd_high=0xffffffff
fdt_high=0xffffffff

##These are needed to be compliant with Debian 2014-05-14 u-boot.

loadximage=echo debug: [/boot/vmlinuz-${uname_r}] ... ; load mmc 0:1 ${loadaddr} /boot/vmlinuz-${uname_r}
loadxfdt=echo debug: [/boot/dtbs/${uname_r}/${fdtfile}] ... ;load mmc 0:1 ${fdtaddr} /boot/dtbs/${uname_r}/${fdtfile}
loadxrd=echo debug: [/boot/initrd.img-${uname_r}] ... ; load mmc 0:1 ${rdaddr} /boot/initrd.img-${uname_r}; setenv rdsize ${filesize}
loaduEnvtxt=load mmc 0:1 ${loadaddr} /boot/uEnv.txt ; env import -t ${loadaddr} ${filesize};
check_dtb=if test -n ${dtb}; then setenv fdtfile ${dtb};fi;
loadall=run loaduEnvtxt; run check_dtb; run loadximage; run loadxrd; run loadxfdt;

mmcargs=setenv bootargs console=tty0 console=${console} ${optargs} ${cape_disable} ${cape_enable} root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rootfstype=${mmcrootfstype} ${cmdline}

uenvcmd=run loadall; run mmcargs; echo debug: [${bootargs}] ... ; echo debug: [bootz ${loadaddr} ${rdaddr}:${rdsize} ${fdtaddr}] ... ; bootz ${loadaddr} ${rdaddr}:${rdsize} ${fdtaddr};
Old 9th October 2017, 10:53 AM   #2374
diyAudio Member

It's strange, probably some HW problem at your side.

But uou can try older botic4 (not volumio based) version
Index of /botic4

with possible upgrade of kernel to botic5 (you need to search this thread for instructions)
Old 9th October 2017, 11:52 AM   #2375
diyAudio Member

I'm thinking of similar you suggested: decided to try it with Ruineaudio V0.2-beta. Probably it handles internal clock only, but I can see if the hardware issue has a big chance or not.

I have bought it from BBONE-BLACK-4G - BEAGLEBOARD - Development Kit, AM3358 ARM Cortex-A8 MCU,4GB eMMC On-board Flash Storage, USB Interface | Farnell HU , I hope it's not an incompatibility issue with Volumio.

I'm not quite sure: in the current Volumio version shall I set anywhere the I2S output, or is it the default output?
Old 9th October 2017, 12:05 PM   #2376
diyAudio Member

that BBB model seems OK to me.

current volumio should work out of the box if you connect it to hermes-bbb that provides clock to the BBB. so if you route your MCLK signal to P9_25 pin of BBB, then it should work (except playing speed might not be correct, because it expects 22579200/24576000 Hz clocks.
Old 9th October 2017, 12:06 PM   #2377
diyAudio Member

however I'm not sure if "current" volumio is not broken. Please retry with the old botic4 I mentioned above.
Old 9th October 2017, 03:22 PM   #2378
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miero View Post
current volumio should work out of the box if you connect it to hermes-bbb that provides clock to the BBB. so if you route your MCLK signal to P9_25 pin of BBB, then it should work (except playing speed might not be correct, because it expects 22579200/24576000 Hz clocks.
I didn't try BBB with hermes-Cronus. I tried it with a single external clock. Should it work also out of the box?

And syntax error message '0 is invalid parameter' doesn't see hardware error in step 1. It rather seems a software problem.

Last edited by Abra; 9th October 2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 9th October 2017, 11:14 PM   #2379
diyAudio Member

yes, please use Hermes-BBB + Cronus if you have them
Old 10th October 2017, 02:07 AM   #2380
ichiban is offline ichiban  United States
It's always something!
diyAudio Member

Support for Botic Linux driver
Default Roon Bridge to the Boticied/BBB

Hi,
I'm trying to add Roon Bridge to the Boticied/BBB to use in place of SqueezeLite.
The RB install reports back that GLIBC 2.16 or higher is required, and
currently it is 2.13.
Is it possible to upgrade the GLIBC in the Botic I'm running?

Linux beaglebone 4.0.0-botic5 #1 PREEMPT Tue Apr 28 23:42:17 CEST 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux

Support for Botic Linux driverHide this!Advertise here!