Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 10th May 2017, 12:51 PM   #2271
francolargo is offline francolargo  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ced View Post
Which leads to an interesting question... I have stopped buying hi rez files as they are stupidly expensive and I cannot for the life of me hear the slightest difference between redbook CD and 192/24, DSD or anything inbetween with hermes,cronus,buff III. This with about 4 A-B test albums (same album different rez). Now I'm pretty sure its not me or my system because we've both been ruthlessly tweaked over 20 years of modding and the difference in quality of the original recordings is night and day. Anyone else same experience or am I missing something?

cheers
Ced
Off topic and esoteric (apologies! ), but interesting because I've had similar experiences. For me, closing the *difference* between sound quality of redbook vs. higher-res sources came mostly from improving the quality of power to all components, but especially the DACs. But for playing through speakers, power quality has not been the only differentiating factor. I believe different driver designs and materials can permit more or less *intra-cone distortion that benefits from higher sampling rates*. Addressing that directly sounded like improving power quality to the various components upstream of the amps. After much tweaking, the downside of having such a high resolution system is that not so many recordings are recorded and mastered well enough to bring out the very best in the music. In my experience, the better the system, the more important is engineering of the recording and the less important is its sample rate.
Old 10th May 2017, 04:32 PM   #2272
ichiban is offline ichiban  United States
It's always something!
diyAudio Member

Support for Botic Linux driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by francolargo View Post
After much tweaking, the downside of having such a high resolution system is that not so many recordings are recorded and mastered well enough to bring out the very best in the music. In my experience, the better the system, the more important is engineering of the recording and the less important is its sample rate.
How true. The dB/Loudness mess that too many mastering engineers have been into this past decade and longer is sad. Here is a web site with a list of albums and the recorded dynamic range.

Album list - Dynamic Range Database

-ICHIBAN
Old 10th May 2017, 09:12 PM   #2273
mr_whocares is offline mr_whocares  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan646 View Post
Hello all,

I am also tring to split the right an left data for the DDAC, but using latest Volumio I can't manage to make it work. What else I have to do/modify besides the things listed here A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

Thank you !

yes, you are right! it seems that this does not work for volumio 2. i have tried that with all versions of the volumio2 and non of them worked. i got the message " can not open the output device" as soon as the botic split alsa is selected as output device. i reported that to michelangelo long time ago but no reply ;-) .... however, the botic split works perfectly with the boticized volumio 1.55 :-)
Old 11th May 2017, 05:05 AM   #2274
stefan646 is offline stefan646
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_whocares View Post
yes, you are right! it seems that this does not work for volumio 2. i have tried that with all versions of the volumio2 and non of them worked. i got the message " can not open the output device" as soon as the botic split alsa is selected as output device. i reported that to michelangelo long time ago but no reply ;-) .... however, the botic split works perfectly with the boticized volumio 1.55 :-)
Could you or somebody else give me a link to download volumio 1.55?

Thank you !
Old 11th May 2017, 06:54 AM   #2275
AndrewLv is offline AndrewLv
diyAudio Member

Stefan646, here you are https://cloud.mail.ru/public/MDbu/6Re84BvSn
Old 11th May 2017, 05:31 PM   #2276
stefan646 is offline stefan646
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewLv View Post
Thank you Andrew, but I don't why my BBB don't want to but this image and the official(from volumio website) 1.5 as well. The 2+ version boots with no problem

EDIT: I am burning the SD card using Win32DiskImager - is this the wrong way for 1.5 version?

Last edited by stefan646; 11th May 2017 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12th May 2017, 05:02 AM   #2277
AndrewLv is offline AndrewLv
diyAudio Member

Hi Stefan!
It's a right way to use Win32DiskImager for any version of Volumio.
I think your issue with booting should be looked for in uEnv.txt file.
Old 28th May 2017, 04:41 AM   #2278
linuxfan is offline linuxfan  Australia
diyAudio Member

At May 2017 I see the latest image is 4.8.13-botic7-rc3_1

Q1. after installing the full botic-v4 image to MicroSD card,
then "ntpdate pool.ntp.org"
then "apt-get update"
can I update directly to 4.8.13-botic7-rc3_1 ?

Q2. do I update with "apt-get install" or download the deb first, and install with "dpkg -i"

Thanks.
Old 28th May 2017, 07:46 AM   #2279
linuxfan is offline linuxfan  Australia
diyAudio Member

OK, on a fresh botic-v4 installation I just used dpkg to install 4.8.13-botic7-rc3_1
as well as the corresponding 4.8.13 firmware.
Now when I boot up the 1st LED on the Hermes board fails to light, indicating that the output of the isolator is NOT enabled, so not external clock, and no output to Cronus.
Old 28th May 2017, 08:21 AM   #2280
twluke is offline twluke  Japan
diyAudio Member

Support for Botic Linux driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxfan View Post
OK, on a fresh botic-v4 installation I just used dpkg to install 4.8.13-botic7-rc3_1
as well as the corresponding 4.8.13 firmware.
Now when I boot up the 1st LED on the Hermes board fails to light, indicating that the output of the isolator is NOT enabled, so not external clock, and no output to Cronus.
Did you edit the /boot/uEnv.txt so that the line of dtb=am335x-boneblack-botic.dtb is included in it?

You might want to follow the instruction by miero. It was written for 4.5.0-botic7-rc1 but can be applicable to 4.8.13-botic7-rc3_1.

Regards,

Support for Botic Linux driverHide this!Advertise here!