Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 17th September 2016, 03:34 AM   #1871
Murdoc is offline Murdoc  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi,

now I've done the hardware change (IC Cable, pull off trident) and installed the new kernel, but can't connect with a MPC client to Botic Linux on the BBB. (with SSH it works, so basic linux system is working on fixed IP)

What do I need to have the hardware based volume control?

Just put the mixer_time "hardware in mpf.conf? What about mixer_control, is "MasterTrim" correct?
And do I need the helper spript mentioned for botic5? Or something else?

I think something is missing, because it worked until I uncommented the mixer_type.

Thank you for your help!
Matthias

Last edited by Murdoc; 17th September 2016 at 03:41 AM.
Old 17th September 2016, 05:02 AM   #1872
miero is offline miero  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Murdoc, for a botic7-rc1 with the sabre32 dtb please use the "Master" mixer control in mpd.conf instead of the "MasterTrim". I'm sorry for the incovience - instructions were not updated for a long time.
Old 17th September 2016, 05:52 AM   #1873
diyAudio Member

Miero, you also never sleep?
Thank you, this I'll try and then go to bed!
I know knowbody who's responding in general so quickly!
Matthias
Old 17th September 2016, 06:20 AM   #1874
diyAudio Member

Hm, it's not working. I can login with SSH, but can't get with any MPC on the MPD.

So again from the beginning:
What do I need for hardware based volume control?

1 --> I did what you'd posted in #1611 (kernel update, /boot/uEnv.txt with dtb=am335x-boneblack-botic-sabre32.dtb)

Hardware:
2 --> Then connected the 4 pins of the IC header to the buffalo's IC header. (I'll recheck connection tomorrow.)
3 -->Removed the trident, which was in top of the clock, removed the IC8 (firmware controller) like in your picture, and removed the jumper from ADC (before it set's the DAC's internal volume control off).

Hm, this is a pity.

Questions:
How is the DAC chip set, as I toll the fimware controller chip out, like on your picture. Is the kernel doing it now? Or is something missing (e.g. this DAC setting script from Botic 5?)

Last edited by Murdoc; 17th September 2016 at 06:24 AM.
Old 17th September 2016, 07:01 AM   #1875
diyAudio Member

Firstly, check that you have a properly configured BBB for Sabre32:
Quote:
root@botic:~# lsmod | grep sabre32
snd_soc_sabre32 12565 1
snd_soc_core 156179 4 snd_soc_davinci_mcasp,snd_soc_edma,snd_soc_sabre32 ,snd_soc_botic
Then check that the I2C connection between (Hermes-)BBB and the DAC works by executing following command:
Quote:
root@botic:~# amixer get DAC1
Simple mixer control 'DAC1',0
Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined
Playback channels: Mono
Limits: Playback 0 - 255
Mono: Playback 255 [100%] [0.00dB]
I assume that this will not print the similar output, because the "Master" volume control for MPD would work in that case.

You are writing that you have removed a Trident from the DAC Clock. The DAC requires ticking master clock to processing I2C commands.

I have it removed because I'm using synchronous clock from the Hermes-BBB. But there is a hidden wire under the board which you probably did not solder... :-) I'm sorry for the misleading image without a warning.

You can either return the Trident back or solder a single wire from MCLK output on Hermes-BBB to the clock input on the underside of the B3.

To your other question, the DAC chip will be initialized by kernel module snd_soc_sabre32. You can check its source code here: https://github.com/miero/botic-dev/b...eric/sabre32.c

Last edited by miero; 17th September 2016 at 07:13 AM.
Old 17th September 2016, 07:11 AM   #1876
diyAudio Member

Hi Miero,

yes, I did remove it. Ok, perhaps a bit too fast. Here everything comes to one conclusion: There is a need for the long anounced manual Twisted Pear one day has to do.

So I've to see if it still works when I solder it in back.
I'll report back, thank you for your detailed help!

PS:
First command works, second not. Either the IC cable or the missing trident or both.
Old 18th September 2016, 06:25 PM   #1877
diyAudio Member

Ok, now it plays racefully!
First time without pre-amp, I'm curious what impression this makes to me.
One "problem" is there now.
I have only mono, and I've looked in some configuration files in botic, but didn't found the correct file to change. What do I have to change to have stereo from a Buffalo 3 build? (I guess that the output should also be higher, so the mapping seems not to be correct.)
Old 18th September 2016, 06:37 PM   #1878
diyAudio Member

I'm not sure about mono, how much channels do are you using 2 or 8?

You can set input remaping using ALSA mixer.

In the ssh console run the "alsamixer" and change the "Remap Inputs" to the 12125656 value to be compatible with IC firmware remap inputs.

Also the mono playback can be caused by "True Mono" control set to other value than "Off". Or that some DACx volume is muted. So check the "alsamixer" tool :-)
Old 18th September 2016, 07:47 PM   #1879
diyAudio Member

Thanks Miero, I'll check!
I just use stereo. I thought I could change some kernel parameters or more likely something relatated to the IC controlling of the DAC chip. I remember that the chip controlling the DAC has in the newest version a higher output, because before it was just to low.
Alsamixer, that's easy.
Old 18th September 2016, 07:55 PM   #1880
diyAudio Member

It is not just easy to change the mapping, but also all kinds of different switches now are (of cause) done in software and not anymore with the DIP-Switches of the Buffalo. I'll also experiment now with the FIR roll-off.
And so save the changes done in alsamixer, I did:

Code:
alsactl store
Regards,
Matthias

Support for Botic Linux driverHide this!Advertise here!