• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Trident Evolves - Version 3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, so my new AVCC regulators were one of the most cost effective upgrades to date on my BII. I was wondering if others have changed both the AVCC and the Tridents, and could compare/contrast what they thought. I have a couple of extra sets of Tridents here, and wonder if it is going to be worth it considering I will essentially be throwing these away for lack of further need. Furthermore, I will not be using the VO as I am synchronously clocking.

I changed the whole lot in one single operation.

I will be using the leftovers from the BII in one of my B24, just for the fun of it.

Do the tridents present an absolute constant current to the preregulator (Placid) and if so, would a well built series regulator work just as well ?

The interrogative is not necessarily related to the predicate. :) At least it's only one of many facts to consider.

I would suggest reading up on the differences between the two regulator types.

There are a number of factors at play.

Trident does present a close to constant current to the pre-reg.

You could definitely use a series regulator there - the *just as well* part really will probably end up being largely subjective.

I designed Trident specifically for the task at hand. So I like to think it is well suited. :D

The interrogative is not necessarily related to the predicate. At least it's only one of many facts to consider.
Please I'm from Sweden and English is not my first langage :eek: I'm doing the best I can here but I really didn't get that one :)

I would suggest reading up on the differences between the two regulator types.

Yes I seem to get that from others as well and I'm doing my best to keep up even if my area
of expertice lies in speakers and driver development instead of electronics.
Since we are on a forum and the main idea at such a place is to intereract, asking questions
and so on I'm thankfull for all answers I can get about things I haven't had the time to read
up on yet so please bear with me :) I'm building tube power amplifiers speakers and a house
as well so time is a luxury.

I have some clues to the differences betwen them and I also have some ideas on how to use
them. Replacing the tridents with series regulators really wasn't one of them.
The one being better suited elsewhere would be the "Placid" putting that one closest to the
"Wave IO" and a 5v feeding (mainly) a dsp chip instead of using them as preregulators for
the "Tridents". I have two "Placids" and two BuffaloIII's and as described two additional 5v loads to feed.

I have also bougth five tps7a7400 series regulators (the evaluation boards) and the plan is to use
them as preregulators for the "Tridents" and "Placids":
I have measured the current drawn from The Placid and it's as constant as anyone could ask for
so feeding that one with a series regulator wouldn't be a problem as I see it. I didn't have a figure
for the "Tridents", that's why I'm asking.
Maybe I'm way of here but as I have learned over the last month or so shunts have a big advantage
over series regulators regarding variations in current drawn.

I'm hoping that my thought's about "just as well" is more clear now.

Some would say that I could skip the preregulator all together for the "Placid" but thing is :)
I'm going for a separate case for most of the PSU (there will B+, filament psu, transformers
for all and so on in that case and I don't want to send ac over more length than absolutly
necessary) just keeping the smaler parts close to dac's and so on. I'm thinking that keeping the
placid close to the load is a good thing as well

Best regards. Bengt Dahlberg

Last edited:
Since the trident manual isn't avalible online yet i'll have to ask. I'm not going to use local XO on my Buffalo III, and was thinking about using the Trident to power external XO-board. But now when i'm looking around after clocks, i think i would go for 3.3v Fox Xpresso, ones which does draw ~47mA each, and i will use two clocks on the board.
Would the Trident by default handle these? I read that max i-out is 100mA, but is that with shunt current included? Is there any way to increse shunt current, and is it even needed for this?
Also, when will manual be avalible?

I would use one Trident per XO.

Because of high current needed or because each XO would be better with its own supply?

Anyway, it would be for the acko-xo-board, so it's not possible for me to use two supplies. But i'm thinking about maybe going CCHD-957 and these draw even less power (~20mA/each) so if the reason is because of high current, then it's no problem anymore with those.

Also, would be glad for picture and manual :)

There is only one configurable part on the trident: R4 which sets the source current.

This current can be calculated using Ohm's law. The voltage across that resistor is ~1.35-1.4V (this depends on the actual input voltage and the Vf of the LED which will vary) - the rest you need to calculate for yourself.

For Trident supplied with 5-6V up to 150ma sourced current should be fine. That would be about 9-Ohms. 50ma sourced (as low as I would ever go) would be 27-Ohms. So R4 should always be between that range 9-27R.

Try to keep the shunt current above minimum of 20ma. That is to say setup the source current to be at least 20ma more than your load needs. More is fine - it will just produce more heat.

That's all you need to know to use a Trident in a custom application.

Cheers!
Russ

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.