• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Legato 3 - Look ma! No caps!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Russ,
I took out the big teflons and reverted back to the original 2.2nF Wimas and they, of course do not get hot any more BUT....the Legato consumption didn't change much! I measured it before teflons and after and it's around 430mA - 80mA more than you stated in the Manual. I measure the total current both Placids are supplying and then subtract all the shunted currents - is this correct? What should cause the Legato to drain more than 350mA, please?
Thank you!
Ivo

Since I am powering Legato with two Placids the second one has longer twisted power leads but can they really cause oscillations, please? Is there a way I can tell without a scope?

Edit: Just to add the Legato is playing really nice - just a bit edgy and glassy sometimes but hope it will get softer after some burn-in?

Last edited:
Hi Russ,
I took out the big teflons and reverted back to the original 2.2nF Wimas and they, of course do not get hot any more BUT....the Legato consumption didn't change much! I measured it before teflons and after and it's around 430mA - 80mA more than you stated in the Manual. I measure the total current both Placids are supplying and then subtract all the shunted currents - is this correct? What should cause the Legato to drain more than 350mA, please?
Thank you!
Ivo

Yes, something might be wrong here. 430mA is at the high side. What voltages are you supplying?

To compare, I'm using 180ohm (stock is 150ohm) and is running at +-12.5v. Mine is consuming 165mA (and I like the less heat a lot more). Mine is with the buffer.

Thanks for the clarification, Russ and for bringing me peace of mind!
Out of curiosity I lowered the voltages today to +-12.5 and the current went down to 375mA - not bad. I also noticed supplying Legato with only one Placid consumes a little less current - don't know why.
Also, just to play safe I changed all the power leads with shorter and thicker wires - didn't see any differences though.
Anyway, all voltages are set back to +14.5 and -14.0V - I don't mind some more heat on these cold winter days here and I am starting to enjoy my new BII + L3.1 build!
Thank you very much for all your help and Russ and Brian for producing this great kits!
Ivo

I have been running a Legato 3.1 for a while now through the single end output. I really like the sound. It is very nice. One thing I have noticed is that I am hearing more reverberance in the songs. Before Legato I was listening to IVY III. I prefer the sound of the Legato. Really good job guys. Very much appreciated!

Hi Russ,
A very strange behavior of the Legato and the two Placids a observed recently.
If I power off and then immediately on the unit it doesn't want to start again. The (+) rail of the second Placid 2.1.2 supplying the BAL/SE stage only is dropping down to 1.5V and the shunted current is 0mA. If I start to raise the supplied current up to 450-500mA something suddenly triggers, I hear how the relay trips and the voltage is back to 14V and I need to lower the current back to its initial 110mA.
I noticed this is mostly happening when:
1. The second Placid voltage is lower than the Placid HD supplying the I/V stage voltage
and/or
2. I turn on the unit immediately before the Placid HD LEDs were turned off completely (the Placid LEDs are fading out much more faster because of the smaller reservoir caps)

Is this a normal behavior and will it disappear if I take a second HD Placid to power the BAL/SE stage, please?

Thanks in advance!
Ivo

Russ, thanks for the quick reply!
Yes, the (+) rail is about 55mA and the (-) is 58mA when working correctly.
The problem is not happening often and most of the time everything is running just fine.
I can try with only one Placid HD BP but since you left option for more supplies and I have the old 2.1.2 I just want to use it somehow.
I remembered it happened much more often when I wasn't still nulled the DC offset on the outputs - is this connected somehow? I thought I solved it with correcting the DC offset but obviously I was wrong :(

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.