Go Back   Home > Forums > > >

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 6th January 2021, 04:34 PM   #331
pixelpusher is offline pixelpusher  United States
diyAudio Member

I used Jan Didden’s “Silent Switcher” power supply. It’s available here at the DIY Audio store
Old 7th January 2021, 08:24 AM   #332
Cyberkul is offline Cyberkul  Norway
diyAudio Member

Thanks! Will have a look👍
Old 5th September 2021, 04:23 PM   #333
thematikma is offline thematikma
diyAudio Member

Default Input Voltage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelpusher View Post
I used Jan Didden’s “Silent Switcher” power supply. It’s available here at the DIY Audio store
I will also use the silent switcher for the Lo Z version. What input voltage did you use? I am concerned 150mA per rail (when using 5V input) could be a bit on the short side.

Thanks!
Old 6th September 2021, 05:15 AM   #334
diyAudio Member

I am using a 5 volt regulated wall wart. No problems.
IIRC, my Retro measured around 35 mA going into the BPBP. Current usage varies with the input impedance of your preamp. I don’t recall the exact input impedance of the BPBP but it is on the high side. I’m thinking around 100k.
Old 7th September 2021, 08:00 AM   #335
diyAudio Member

Thanks, that helped a lot. I do have 20kOhms input impedance, so current draw should be slightly higher in my case. I guess I'll just measure when everything is ready.
Old 27th September 2021, 12:41 AM   #336
diyAudio Member

I had ordered the Retro kit some time ago and finally finished my build yesterday. It really sounds amazing and the kit was so nice arranged, with every part marked and separated per channel. A huge thanks to Twisted Pear Audio for that!
I have a small issue, what is not related to the Retro, but my record player. It happens only to my diy phono pres. Hum! I have my rega Planar 10 modified with separately wired ground. It is located approximately 30cm away from mains equipment. If I move it further away, the hum (it sounds like ac transformer noise) gets attenuated. With the pres I did buy ( SPL Phonos, EAT eglo perit) there is no hum at all. What do manufacturers implement, to make their units immune to hum?
I do at least think, the tonearm wires or the arm itself is picking that up link an antenna. I also tried the cartridge floating and a wire from mains earth to ground, what did not help. Only if I unplug the player from the pre, the hum is gone.

Any clues are much appreciated. Moving everything further away from each other is not really an option, as my space is really limited. Maybe rewire the arm and use XLR plugs would also help?
Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20210926_000333383.jpg (982.6 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20210926_000250902.jpg (1,002.6 KB, 85 views)
Old 30th September 2021, 03:47 PM   #337
diyAudio Member

Pin 1 of the XLR should go directly to the chassis and not be connected to anything else.
Old 1st October 2021, 11:48 PM   #338
diyAudio Member

Thanks again for your input. Based on suggestion, I did a little research, reading AES48 and "Pin 1 prroblem" bits. So I decided to connect pin 1 direct to the chassis near the input/output and made a star ground, where I tied all circuitry gnd to another place further away to the casing.
But the outcome is the same. Dead silent without the record player connected, and hum when the leads are plugged. I suspect the rega plugs and cable acting as a antenna.
So I will either relocate my stuff connected to mains supply, or rewire my tonearm to xlr, hoping the common shield will get rid of the hum.
Old 2nd October 2021, 02:47 PM   #339
diyAudio Member

Try lifting that ground. Hum is usually caused by ground currents.
Old 2nd October 2021, 03:06 PM   #340
mbrennwa is offline mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Retro - A fully symetrical phono stage with RIAA filter
Can you make a drawing of your audio connections, ground connections, and earthing to the wall sockets?

Retro - A fully symetrical phono stage with RIAA filterHide this!Advertise here!