• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Introducing Ventus

Ventus is a mostly discrete opamp. :)

This is a circuit designed for some DIY fun. It is based on the Diamante circuit I published a while back.

The front end is a folded cascode design and runs into a LME49600 buffer. The buffer is in the feedback loop.

A schematic is worth a thousand words.

It sounds excellent. It can drive low impedance headphones exceptionally well.

As shown it is a BAL/SE converter and take balanced input from DACs such as Buffalo or Opus.

I would suggest when using it in this way (Balanced to SE) you use a relay to shunt output to GND on turn off to prevent any turn off thump. The thump buster works well in this role.

The Ventus can also easily be setup as a classic non-inverting amplifier with single ended input. It also can be setup as an in inverting amplifier with single ended input.

Each module is a mono channel so It takes two for stereo, and they stack easily.

There is a pot to null output offset.

We have boards tested and parts are en route so these will be available very soon.

The board is tested and proven, and I love it. I have been listening to it for a week now.

Take a look.

Cheers!
Russ

Attachments

• schematic.pdf
    36.6 KB · Views: 692
  • pcb_small.jpg
    pcb_small.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 2,211
Last edited:
I plan on adding proper BAL to SE converters to my Buffalo 32s. Would you recommend Ventus or the Ballsie Lite for the purpose of driving power amps unbalanced?

Thank you in advance!

Both ccts works very well for the task. Ballsie lite will be a bit easier to use since it has an output shunting relay built in.

My first choise for driving headphones would be Ventus.

My first choice into another amplifier would be Ballsie Lite.

Cheers!
Russ

I am getting these kits ready, and am trying to decide on what to do with the LME49600.

Getting it properly mounted with a soldering iron is possible, but not easy, unless you are really good at SMD soldering. The large metal tab needs to be soldered completely to give good thermal conduction to the ground plane.

I could pre-mount them using solder paste and a reflow oven, but want to get some feedback from interested party's first.

Anyone?

Both ccts works very well for the task. Ballsie lite will be a bit easier to use since it has an output shunting relay built in.

My first choise for driving headphones would be Ventus.

My first choice into another amplifier would be Ballsie Lite.

Cheers!
Russ

Thank you, Russ. Can we get an estimated release date for the Ballsie Lite?

Last edited:
A couple of points I need to put in the manual (which I will try to get up soon).

1) Make sure you use the closest together pads for RVCC and RVEE unless you plan on reversing polarity of the LEDs and C5/C6 as well as swapping NPN/PNP transistors. I figured some people may want to experiemnt by using PNP input pairs etc. So I made the board support that option.

2) For non-inverting use: Reduce R2 to 221R and make R4 47K (this will set the input impedance). Connect -IN to GND. Then adjust R5 and R3 set the gain. Gain = 1+(R5/R3). For unity gain simply omit R3. For example. Using R5 of 1K and R3 of 1K would get you a voltage gain of 2, which is 6db.

3) For inverting use: Omit R2 and optionally decrease R4 (A range from 0R(jumper) to 1K should work fine). Then wire your input to -IN and GND. The gain is R5/R3. So using 1K for each R3 and R5 would get you unity gain inverted(-1). Remember that R3 will now set the input impedance of the cct. In this example 1K.

I hope that helps.

Cheers!
Russ

Last edited:
Is that because they aren't needed, of because it becomes a 'problem' from the shunt regulator?

They simply are not needed. It is not a problem at all in terms of causing any instability. While the capacitance can reduce the effectiveness of the shunt it is not a big deal. Brian is simply stating that if you plan on using placid you might as well omit them to get the best out of the placid. Keep the supply wiring as short as possible.

You can also RVCC and RVEE jumpers and omit C5 and C6 if you are using placidBP.

Cheers!
Russ

Since this is a single channel implementation, what is the opinion on using a third module for active gnd? (like some high end designs over at head-fi)

what is the voltage and current supply requirement for each module?

Supply voltage range is +-12 to 18V (15V recommended). I have to dig out my notes for the current draw.

Last edited: