• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Darwin input selector

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This shows what I am trying to do.

I am trying to build an integrated input selector / preamp / DAC in one box.

The darwin selector connects to a B1 preamp and volume control is achieved by using the header loop in the darwin - is that going to work?

The other potential problem is that the DAC has no volume control with the current wiring shown. The DAC takes input from 3 digital inputs or a USB and outputs directly to a new set of outputs. I could externally link the DAC output with an input in the preamp section but it's probably not a nice solution.

I guess the question is does the DAC need to tap into the B1 preamp and volume control? Or is the windows vista volume control good enough for that job?

The other question is that the DAC output is DC coupled given the current wiring. is that a problem?

Thanks
Evan

Attachments

• My DAC - input selector.pdf
    190.3 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Darwin Availability

We have been talking about redesigning the Darwin for quite a while, and other things kept getting in the way (only so many hours in the day, blah blah blah). Also, Darwin has a lot of inputs, probably more than anyone ever really needs (who has 6 sources?).

We were also out of OTTOs, which had functionality which was similar in many ways, but also very different.

We are about to receive some prototypes of a new design that will hopefully fill both needs. Basically, it is a tiny board with a single G6K relay and an optional trigger circuit like that found on the Darwin. This will allow switch triggering of the relay, or digital logic triggering. How does a single relay board help?

Well, they are stackable. You want to replace the OTTO, that's two modules stacked and wired to switch both relays at the same time. You want the functionality of the old Darwin, that's 6 modules stacked with individual triggers (plus any outputs you may want). How about 3 balanced inputs? 6 modules, wired to trigger in pairs.

As I said, these are just prototypes at the moment so we can work out any issues with stacking, triggering, wiring, etc and make needed adjustments. We will post more details as they become available (once the boards get here).

This shows what I am trying to do.

I am trying to build an integrated input selector / preamp / DAC in one box.

The darwin selector connects to a B1 preamp and volume control is achieved by using the header loop in the darwin - is that going to work?

The other potential problem is that the DAC has no volume control with the current wiring shown. The DAC takes input from 3 digital inputs or a USB and outputs directly to a new set of outputs. I could externally link the DAC output with an input in the preamp section but it's probably not a nice solution.

I guess the question is does the DAC need to tap into the B1 preamp and volume control? Or is the windows vista volume control good enough for that job?

The other question is that the DAC output is DC coupled given the current wiring. is that a problem?

Thanks
Evan

This is exactly the type of think the loop connector is there for.

I think just routing the dac output to one of the Darwin inputs would solve your volume control problem, no?

Joined 2002
Paid Member
We have been talking about redesigning the Darwin for quite a while, and other things kept getting in the way (only so many hours in the day, blah blah blah). Also, Darwin has a lot of inputs, probably more than anyone ever really needs (who has 6 sources?).
----

Let me see..; 2 Record Decks, (2 x riia), tapedeck, Md, CD/DAC, Tuner, TV, Cabledecoder, DVD, Video/DVD-recorder, Squeezebox/DAC, and whatever that is up for test...

Arne K

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.