• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Cabinets made with Finland Birch Plywood

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
it seems the layers are very thick. 18mm with 3layers only?

how's the sound compared to good birch ply?

It is only 3 layers. The middle ply is bambbo blocks, the outer layers are strands of bamboo bonded together in a matrix. This makes it conceptually much like the aluminum skinned honeycomb used in airplanes and such.

It is stiffer, and sounds better than BB. It is also some 10x as expensive (ignoring that you have to pay for the veneer to cover the BB). To take max advantage it is more complex to cut and assemble. It is lovely with a clear coat.

Our earlier bamboo builds were with laminate outer plys (strips of bamcoo) and from early in its availability in north america (only 2 finishes), Even with lower stiffness ahead of BB.

bambooPAWO-collage.jpg

bamboo-fonken.jpg

As soon as we get the right drivers in them we will do a photoshop of the 3 sets we made with the stranded neopolitan,

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
dave,

At supermarket in China, I saw a kind of bamboo plate for cutting meats and vegetables using in kitchen. It is very solid and heavy with high density. I think this should be the one what you said the bamboo plywood.

Bamboo cutting boards. We can buy those too. they are a single layer side-by side laminate. Not as stiff or suitable as the plywood.

Materials lik this are the harbinger of building materials made of renewable grasses (notable bamboo & hemp)

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
dave,

Is it good to use thicker plywood 24mm at front panel for Pensil 10.2?

Thanks,
Tony.

No. That will screw up the tuning. If you want to make the cabinets better than they already are put in some bracing. The brace that connects the back of the driver to the back of the box is particularily useful at improving the downward dynamic range, and the Alpairs are capable enuff to make good of it.

dave

Attachments

• Cali bamboo ply.jpg
    Cali bamboo ply.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 657
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Yes, that's the right kind of stuff. A number of different external colour schemes. Available from a number of vendors here (ours weren't sourced from Cali (otherwise i would enter them in their monthly contest), but they were one of the most helpfull when it came to getting info. Plyboo should have it as well as they are who i actually got quantitive data from (we didn't get ours from them either).

dave

That stuff does look quite nice, but I am slightly confused by the price. I thought you said that it was about 10x the price of baltic birch plywood, but at a cost of less than $200 a sheet that doesn't seem to be the case.

Those sheets do look pretty attractive though, I hope to see more pictures of your completed cabinets.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.