• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Western Electric audio interconnect cable, $50/pair only

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nice to see old North American telephone cables being put to use.......

Yeah.

The first cables I ever made back in the 70's when I was a teenager were some speaker cables I made using some old Western Electric cloth covered wire my grandfather had in his shed.

Back then I was just being practical and used what I had available. Then about five years ago or so I bought some 24 gauge, stranded, tinned, waxed silk and cotton wire from Jake's on eBay.

I instantly fell in love with it. :D

se

Hi SE,

Thanks for your questions.
This is the wire solid in 0.62mm diameter.
It is bare copper with tin.
It is waxed cloth with yarn serve underneath.
See picture.

Regards,
Tony.

Hello.

If you don't mind my asking, is the wire solid or stranded? Bare copper or tinned? Is the cotton a serve or a braid? If braided, does it have a silk serve underneath?

Thanks.

se

Attachments

• wax-14.jpg
    wax-14.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 436
Hi guys,

These cables sound unique. I feel the bass immediately. More detail, punch and depth. Midrange is richer which makes vocals more pleasant to listen to. The top end is softer, and cymbals and hi-hats sound silkier and smoother. Sibilance is reduced slightly. Detail retrieval is not it's strongest suit but makes up for in tonality. These have since replaced my DIY solid core silver interconnects. =(

Highly recommend these cables for one who uses all SS gear and would like to add a touch of richness and warmth for a more relaxed presentation.

For $13 a cable, this is shocking.

@ Tony - How many pairs do you still have left ?

Hi Dinesh,

These are old Western Electric wires and difficult to find now.

Thank you very much for your comments for sharing here. The construction and the sound of these cables are not like the price, US13/pair only and would make you surprised after listening. The advantage of the cables is clarity. You can easily hear message from music. You can feel it. These cables are not only good for solid state amps, but also tube amps.

I still have 2 or 3 pairs left only. Now I have a few pairs MKII version which is longer, 1.5 meters and come with higher graded RCA plugs, YS-373 from Neutrik, China. I'm listening and running-in the cables in my system, I can say the performance of MKII is much better than the original version. The extension of sound stage and richness are further improved. I recommend you try the MKII, US$23/pair only. It is 1.5 meters long.

For the original version, the new arrivals will be available later. Thanks my friend, Mr. Lu who keeps these raw wires and make the interconnect cables and solder the connections by his hands. The workmanship is excellent.

Cheers!

Tony.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.