• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Balanced active crossover advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am in process of building my next amplifier, and was heading towards a Lynn Olson Amity/Karna type. I currently run a set of ME-2 Ariels with a ST-70 and powered subwoofer.

I do not get enough midbass (100-500Hz) out of the ME-2's, and have read a number of articles (some written by Lynn) about what to do about this. Alas, not a simple solution.

My first preference is a passive linestage 6 dB filter for the ME-2's, with a separate midbass/bass driver. Attached is a possible attempt for the amplifier input.

It seems to me frequency-wise the filter would work, but if the components are not perfectly matched, which they won't be, the benefits of balanced topology are lost.

Is this a waste of time, or is it possible to get good performance if I attempt to match components? Like buy 10-20 capacitors and pick the best matches.

Better solutions?

Attachments

• xover.pdf
    7.7 KB · Views: 198
Could certainly try that, but I have read a number of cautions about attempting to cap couple to transformers. Don't have any links to those cautions in front of me, but I do remember reading it.

Maybe it was at K&K, don't know. If it's really that simple why all the fuss about the difficulties in using active crossovers? Not talking 12/18/24 dB, of course.

http://www.clarisonus.com/blog/?p=17

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.