• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Hum in Legend amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm having trouble tracking down the source of buzz/hum in a 70s guitar combo amp, a Legend Super-lead 50. It's a hybrid, with solid state output. The buzz/hum seems to be from the high gain input; from what I can tell the other input bypasses the first tube, and if I turn down the Lead Level knob it also goes down (but of course, loss of volume). Any troubleshooting suggestions? The hum/buzz is the same regardless of what position the 3-way ground lift switch is.

Wow, Those old Legends are Sooo cool, I love those solid oak cabs, Unless Im carrying them:D

There is very lettle documentation on the web for those babies, I nearly bought a couple a while back at a local MOM N POP music store that still has 2 of them that never sold.

I think I would start at the input jacks, Make sure they are closing/shorting properly. I have seen those old jacks cause a lot of problems like that due to tarnish and or oxidation.

Good luck finding a schematic though, I have never been able to locate one.

Trout

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.