• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6aq5.......6v6.......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone have a SE design, using either singaly or parraled tubes? I've tried a few designs and wasn't impressed. I just got done building the boozhound amp, and i felt the Highs were, well too high, they hurt my ears!!! To keep it simple, i don't want to go to P-P yet, I'd like to use 6AQ5's as i have quite a few of them. Wattage is not a concern, something around 1-3 watts. I'm sorry, I know this has been discussed a million times here before........

Thanks for any suggestions.
Jeremy

I haven't built any classic guitar amps yet, but just hi-fi, and all mine were push-pulls, more bang for the buck and runs cooler.

Just that the SE projects I've run across on the web are mostly on guitar related sites.

My last project was a brand-new 6V6 12-14 watt p-p, came out really well and no hum. Plenty of gain for a good sized living room.

There are some good hi-fi SE amps, someone will come along with a good suggestion soon, I'm sure.

It's too big to attach, but this pp came out well, and cost me only around $240 or so. You will probably need to spend at least $25+ for a good OPT either way.
Runs great from a CD deck or cassette deck, needs a preamp for a turntable.

6v6.jpg

The one I built is sort of outlined in the thread called "favorite 6V6", you would need to go back a few pages to find it. The exact schematic I used is this one from a college professor's site, including his special 1% resistors etc.

http://www.du.edu/~etuttle/electron/elect35.htm

It was based on a 1959 RCA tube manual project with a few tweaks.
I had to get a few special parts from Allied to make it his high-quality way, but if you notice it doesn't show a schematic for the power supply.
I designed one using a 5U4GC tube and a Hammond 275-0-275 transformer, which puts about 375v on the plates, nice and conservative, and a 7H choke, no diodes or solid state at all, all tube.
I used new JJ 6V6S tubes for the finals, a JJ 12AU7, and a Ruby 5U4GC.
The 6AU6's are American NOS.
If you decide you want to go this route, I'll post a schematic of the power supply, if you feel you need the help on this, and help on the layout too if you need it.

One thing, if I haven't mentioned it before, it's a monoblock (not stereo), so I use a "Y" (2 to 1) to hook my input devices into it.
I did get some new speakers which I haven't tried yet, and you can run 2 speakers in parallel if you use the 4 ohm output terminals on the amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.