• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

power supply question.... too many Volts?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have two amplifiers i am concerned with in this post... one is an eico ST70, the other is an old motorola amp.

I would like to run both with less tubes, as stereo power amplifiers only. I'm wondering if removing tubes is going to create too much of a rise in voltage, and throw things out of whack?

The ST70 would be lacking only 4 preamp tubes in this configuration. I don't imagine that would be a huge problem.

The motorola however, is a 3 channel 6bm8 amp which has a total of 4 output tubes, the bass is a PP mono setup, the R/L channels are single ended. I want to use this amp with only the pair of single ended tubes. I think that might be more significant.

Any ideas? Should I worry about adding resistors?

Aaron

The motorola however, is a 3 channel 6bm8 amp which has a total of 4 output tubes, the bass is a PP mono setup, the R/L channels are single ended. I want to use this amp with only the pair of single ended tubes. I think that might be more significant.

If you want to keep close to the original design (= not using it as a parts donor) I would suggest to measure B+ voltages and current draw for the SE output stages, then redesign the power supply (reusing the original trafo and possibly chokes / caps) using Duncan's PSUDII simulator (can be downloaded on duncanamps.com) which is an excellent tool + easy to work with.

edit: the single-ended opts will probably lack low-end bandwith if they were designed to work together with a dedicated low-end PP amp.

good luck!

Simon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.