• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Gm emulator for calibration

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
What tubetester model please ? Different patented topologies exists.

On Hickok transconductance meters, a isolation transformer with a variac are used to feed directly the tube pins , thus simulating a tube under test for calibration purpose.

Maybe this is your "Gm emulator" ?

Astouffer

As Yves, I understand that they offer a "renewing & calibration" service. (helped by their own calibrated original test purpose tubes)

They also sell beside 5Y3GT(a) & 83 solid state replacement.

I wonder what's inside their 83 replacement, as I'm working on this project for a just found TV7/U, planned to be accurate & bulletproofed (I've yet worked on a digital readout like 120.0, & By now replaced the 83 by 2 TV damper diodes, with 2 150R res. But hope to find time to simulate something with zeners)

Prices seems fair...so far (If you don't like grease)

PS: yes it's just an AC voltage (IIRC at the most skilled calibration level)

Astouffer,

I've heard of what you're asking about and have looked for one myself. Many tube analyzers needed a calibrated 6L6 for their own calibration, but I've heard of gm emulators too. I think it could be whipped up using an opamp plus a HV power FET to make a transconductance device whose gm would be set accurately by precision feedback resistors. You could use the AC heater supply to feed a small bipolar power supply for the opamp. It almost sounds like I'm close to drawing a schematic, doesn't it? If I have time, I may sketch something up. In the meantime, if you find something out there, let us know.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.