• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

New issue Mullard Tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The "reissue" Mullards and TungSol's are made in the same factory as Sovtek, Electro Harmonix, and Svetlanas sold in the USA. I got a big box of assorted "pre auditioned" Russian tubes last November. There were a pair of TungSol KT88's and a pair of Sovtek KT88's. These tubes look, sound, and test the same. I also got some (about 10) Electro Harmonix KT88's and 2 Electro Harmonix 6550's. These two tubes are identical, but different from the Sovtek and TungSol KT88's.

All of these tubes sound pretty good in my SimpleSE amps, but I prefer the EH tubes because they can handle about 10 more watts of dissipation than the Sovtek and TungSol tubes.

It depends on the circuit you're putting it into, transconductance, noise, and microphonics. If they're priced like collectors' items, pass- there's plenty of perfectly good tubes out there at reasonable prices if you want good sound more than an overpriced geek status symbol.

Mmmm, I'd probably pass on used power tubes.

Edit: I'd also be very suspicious of the price, whether you'll get "real" Mullards or not and what "real" means. A good, used, British-made Mullard EL34 from the 1960s goes for considerably more than that from most reputable vendors.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.