• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

triode => I.T. =>el84 good idea ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear tubenuts,

I have tried a transformer-coupled tube-amp with DHT tubes like 6B4G and 2A3 and I just finished a parallel 6sl7 => Lundahl LL1660 => KT88 se amp which I like very much.
One of my intended projects is 6C45 => I.T. => VAIC 320B.

As a warming up I think of building a 6c45 => LL1660 => parallel EL84 amp. Just for curiosity because I have never seen such a design.

Did anyone ever tried this (perhaps with different driver: 2C51 or 5842 or E810F could also be candidates) ?
Or is this not a good idea at all ?

thanks,

Jaap

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
MIXER?

Hi,

You mean as in mixed?

As in mixed marriage?

Seriously though,I have no idea about the distortion plot for a set of EL84s would look here.

Moreover,I wonder what added value the IS would bring here other than lowering Zo.

So I would rather ommit the IS and drive the EL84s with a ECC99 or 6H30 in SRPP style.

Cheers,;)

el84pse with IT

Thanks for the suggestions.

The only reason for the IT is that i have a pair, and that i do not like capacitors at all. Other reason is that in my limited experience with IT's i liked the results. No scientific proof claims of course, but I suppose that if you have a quality transformer (and use it in the right way) you are always better off than with any capacitor (Phase shift problems). I have the impression that transformers give better detail and resolution.
Could be wrong of course:confused:
Just my prejudice:rolleyes:

Jaap

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.