• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

el34PP circuit evaluation!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I've been looking around for a 'good' el34pp schematic now my hammond 1645 opts have come free from another project (won't need the UL taps for Miles Prowers 807 beast); my preference goes out to modern variations on the Mullard 5-20 circuit and I'm doubting between two candidates. Hopefully someone with a sharper sight can help me make the better choice.. Main difference between both circuits are the input and phase splitter tubes: 6sj7+6sl7 vs. ef86+ecc83

Mapletree audio design, schematic on page 7:
http://hollowstate.netfirms.com/Stealth 60C users manual.pdf

The well-known circuit from the Lundahl website:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=88070&perpage=10&pagenumber=1

Power supply quality is not an issue as I will design a different using vintage iron. The mapletree design has shared cathode resistor for each el34 pair which I'll possibly change.

I welcome your observations :D

Simon

Too late to edit but I've been wanting to ask why the grid stoppers at the input tubes' grid (4k7 in one circuit, 11k in the other) are so immensely high in value; are they only there to prevent oscillation?

Also forgot to tell that I'll be adding a volume pot; the mapletree circuit specifies a tiny 0.7v input for full output so probably the other circuit won't need a preamp either.

Cheers,

Simon

Hi,

Klimon said:
Too late to edit but I've been wanting to ask why the grid stoppers at the input tubes' grid (4k7 in one circuit, 11k in the other) are so immensely high in value; are they only there to prevent oscillation?

Pretty much.

That's not immensly high either, it depends on input and Miller capacitance. Typical power tube snubbers are 10K and 470 to 4.7K for preamp tubes. They aren't critical at all.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.