• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6P15P Tubes: Push Pull Possible?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!
I´m a new member on this forum. A real newbie :xeye: when it comes to tubes. I´m about to finish my first tube-project ever, a headphone amp with EL84 tubes. When it´s finished, my next project is to build a small intigrated amp. Something like this:
http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/sophia_baby_e.html

My question is: i have a set of 6pcs of the Russian military tube 6P15P. I would like to make a small push pull amp with 2x15w. The problem is that i can´t find any schematics or building description of a amp with this tubes included. I know that EL84 tubes can be replaced by 6P15P tubes (in some amps, not all). So, i would be really happy :cool: if somebody can help with some information so i can start my next project. THANKS!! :D

Thanks Art. But trust me, i have searched and read about so many amps. But none of them has the 6P15P tube included. So you mean that as long as the screen grid voltage is kept at 150 volts or less. Can i use some of the building-instructions for for amps that is based in EL84 tubes as long as it´s under the 150 volts limit? Is it that simple :xeye: . As i wrote before, i´m a real rookie about tubes. By the way, i also have 4cs of the Russian type of ECC83 tubes. Many of the ampbuilding instructions i´ve read, has 2 of the EL84 and one of the ECC83 in a push pull mode.

6p15p = SV83 = EL84N. Data sheet here.

If you are going to build a pentode mode circuit, use a VR150 gas regulator in the screen grid supply. If you are going to use ultralinear topology, connect the screen grids to the UL taps on the O/P trafos via 1 KOhm resistors.

As long as appropriate steps are taken to protect the fragile screen grid, the 6p15p may be used in a circuit designed for the EL84.

The 6p15p pins out differently than the EL84, but sockets set up for the 6p15p work with EL84s without change. The other way around is not true.

motherone said:
Not to go off topic, but what EL84 headphone amp are you building?

Here´s a link to the building-instructions (in swedish:xeye: ):

http://www.home.no/drdead/ror/R%f6r_h%f6rlurs_f%f6rst%e4rkare.pdf

Scroll down to the schematics. It´s easy and cheap to build, and what i´ve heard it sounds really nice. To you think it´s possible to replace the EL84 with my Russian tube 6P15P in this curcuit?

I´m really lost in this thing with tubes, so if i´m going to build an amp i must have some kind of buildning instructions. What i am looking for, is a instruction where my 6P15P tubes fit in. What about this?:

http://dortoh.ca/zenclone/index.htm

Do you see any differences between the 2'nd grid in 6P14P (EL84) and 6P15P?

I don't...

People believe that 6P15P has weak 2'nd grid, while I believe that different specs are given for different guarranteed results because 6P14P (clone of EL84) was sold for audio, 6P15P was sold for linear video amplifiers.

What do you think?

6p14p.gif

6p15p.gif

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Anatoliy,
Please check here and here .
They very clearly put a limit of 150V on the screen. So it is "weak" as you say. You can't tell just from pictures, but the manufacturer has rated them that way for a reason.

Anyway, no one is attacking them as bad tubes. They are just a little different.

-Chris

anatech said:
I sure did, did you?

No.
I turned what you said around a little.

No. I said that different grid voltages give different plate curves of the same toob, and this can be the single reason for different specs since toobs were sold for different applications.

If some tubes work well at higher screen voltages, and some don't it would point to very loose quality control from that manufacturer = junk tubes.

Did you try them on higher screen voltages? Are you sure they don't work the same as 6P14P?

I did not try, but I am not sure.

If Tubelab did not (I know he is famous torturer of toobs), I will try and report my results. I suspect that 6P14P/EL84 with up to 200V on the 2'nd grid will have the same excellent linearity like 6P15P. :cool:

anatech said:
Hi Anatoliy,
I have removed some previous posts that were off topic from both of us. I was "pulling your leg" a little.

-Chris ;)

No, it was not off-topic, the topic is about 6P15P as a some kind of special tube about which maal1605 is not sure. ;)

I am neither, but I believe that it is EL84 with additional lead for the 3'd grid, and with different specs to guarrantee better linearity.

Another similar example is 6P3S-E that by specs may be regarded as very weak version of 6L6 with 5W output only.

In my amps 4 of them (2 in parallel) give 80W easily, no difference between them and 6L6GC in the application.

Where is the point?

The point is in specs for much longer guarranteed by manufacturer life than ordinary 6L6...

I believe, 200V limit on the 2'nd grid of 6P15P is from the same opera, to guarrantee specified linearity.

But I am not sure, I need to check before drawing the conclusion.

Chris, you removed your off-topics and my posts right on-topic.

planet10 said:

Given that the B+ for this is 40V, i'd say yes. Do i read right that this amp pumps out 200 mW?

dave

Sorry to say, but i don´t know. The manual says that the power is more than enough for a pair of headphones with 32Ώ impedance, defiance to the low anodevoltage (40v). I hope i can test the project later to day. I got the tube sockets yesterday. I gonna test it first with the 2 Sovtek EL84-tubes, and if everything sounds good....do i have courage:smash: to test with 2 of the 6p15p-tubes. The pinout is´n the same, right? Pin 3 & 6 are connected together on the EL84, but not on the Russians...do i have to connect those 2 together?

Wavebourn said:

Thank you!

Curves are ideitical...

6p15p_vs_el84_vah.GIF

I suppose some guys in Soviet institute got a huge premium for "Development Of New Very Linear High Frequency Pentode" :clown:

maal1605, you will get no differences between 6P15P and EL84 so better save money and use what tubes you already have.

Ok, thanks :cool: . But i suppose i have to take care of the 2nd grid voltage limit of 150v? I read about an amp where theese tubes is included and the limit of voltage was much higher than the recommended limit. The operation time is set to 3000h. But if the voltage is twice that, i guess the tube is going to die much earlier, or am i wrong? Under the past week i´ve read a lot about this tube. And i have to say, it´s a little bit confusing. Because som amp-builders says the EL84´s is 100% replaceable with the 6P15P-tube, and some says it´s not:xeye: . Anyway, do you have any suggestoins about a push pull amp with EL84 and the 6P15p tube is useable? I doesn´t have to be to complicated. Some good links maby:rolleyes: ?

maal1605 said:

Ok, thanks :cool: . But i suppose i have to take care of the 2nd grid voltage limit of 150v?

I don't think so. :cool:
Devices with electrodes of the same size and shape that produce the same curves can't be different. Except probably more precision grid alinments in 6P15P.
However, I may be wrong, and the 2'nd grid in 6P15P have more turns than in EL84 and it is invisible through the hole in plate. I don't have dead tubes to break them and carefully inspect what is inside, so can't guarantee. But it may be tested by comparing 2'nd grid current curves.

Speaking of push-pull amps, you may find a lot of schematics here and on external sites that use such tubes if to use "search" functions. Push - pull amp is the compromise between sound quality and power consumption. You may have more audio power in Push-Pull arrangement than from ordinary amp using the same tubes and dissipating the same heat.

Wavebourn said:

I don't think so. :cool:
Devices with electrodes of the same size and shape that produce the same curves can't be different. Except probably more precision grid alinments in 6P15P.
However, I may be wrong, and the 2'nd grid in 6P15P have more turns than in EL84 and it is invisible through the hole in plate. I don't have dead tubes to break them and carefully inspect what is inside, so can't guarantee. But it may be tested by comparing 2'nd grid current curves.

Speaking of push-pull amps, you may find a lot of schematics here and on external sites that use such tubes if to use "search" functions. Push - pull amp is the compromise between sound quality and power consumption. You may have more audio power in Push-Pull arrangement than from ordinary amp using the same tubes and dissipating the same heat.

Ok, thanks very much for your support :). I gonna keep on searching. Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.