• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Glow modulation tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking for info on glow modulation tubes. I could not find anything - no datasheets, no circuits' examples, nothing.
I'm particulary interested in R1131C but any other info on the subject is welcome.

What I'm planning to do with it? I'm making an electroacoustic installation which produces abstract sounds by itself. The sound source is a string with a pickup, then the signal goes into a couple of FXs and then ino an amplifier with a speaker. There's a LDR-controlled feedback loop over the FX and also there's an acoustic feedback from the speakers back to the strings. It oscilates and feeds back and makes all kinds of weird sounds. Here's an example of the music it makes (it's from my previous one, the installation I'm making at the moment is still not functioning) -

http://www.meatexz.com/zone/mp3/ZONE-memorymotion.mp3
http://www.meatexz.com/zone/mp3/ZONE-trucks.mp3

now the glow modulation tubes may control the FX feedback loop with light flashes, which is also spectacular and certainly adds to the show.

I've been digging internet for a while to find something about my R1131C. No datasheets, no pinouts. The only thing I've found is this:

The original text is here -
http://www.jgp.org/cgi/reprint/76/5/517.pdf

here's the part about the tube -

The glow tube was activated by a fixed voltage (300V) and could be turned on in 50us. When a flash was required, a pulse (300V, 1ms) was applied to the glow tube. When a steady light was reqired, pulses of 300V and 0.5ms were applied. This was achieved by a voltage-to-frequency converter. The voltage was set at a value that gave a pulse frequency of 500 per second. The stimulus intensity could be modulated by varying the voltage input to the voltage-to-frequency converter, modulating the frequency of the pulses sent to the glow tube. This technique of pulse modulation was used by Dodge et al. (1968) and Knight et al. (1970). For the experiments described here, frequencies of modulation from 0.1 to 20 Hz were achieved. The amplitude of modulation was +-40% of the steady state. Steady light intensity was controlled by neutral density filters. The unattenuated light intensity at the cornea was 7.5 X 10^14 photons/cm2-s when measured at 520 nm over a 100-nm bandwidth. The turning on and turning off and the modulation of the steady light were under computer control.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

could someone give me some advise how to run this tube, what power supply to make and how to figure out the pinout?

here's a picture of the tube -
a8a7_1.JPG

thanks in advance!!!!

hi Geek...

Let's say, it makes it interesting. I usually tend to find the most obscure tubes and make something with them - rather then building another 18W.
But not even having the pinout of the tube.... duh, that's too much!

still thanks for support!

maybe some other expert will stumble upon this thread... hello, is there anybody out there?

pinout

The pinout is currently what I'm trying to decode.
The base is octal and there's 8 pins. not two. No special marking next to the pins.
The glass is black and there's no chance to see what's inside (only a small round window at the top - where the ray is supposed to come from).

Any suggestions how to find out what's the pinout???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.