Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Why don't we use output tubes as cathode followers?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th January 2007, 12:32 AM   #11
Tubelab_com is online now Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

There is a SE cathode follower design in Bruce Rosenblit's book "Audio Reality". It used 3 KT88's in parallel to produce about 25 watts per channel. I heard one of these amps several years ago, and was impressed with the bass and transient response, but it was in an isolated setting. There was nothing else to compare it to and the room was fairly large, big speakers too.
Old 28th January 2007, 06:24 PM   #12
dsavitsk is offline dsavitsk  United States
diyAudio Member

I stumbled upon this review of the Cyrus Brenneman Cavalier mentioned in post 8: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...sbrenneman.htm
Old 28th January 2007, 06:39 PM   #13
Wavebourn is offline Wavebourn  United States
Designer & Technologist
diyAudio Member

In engineering the Cavalier (and the more expensive Reference 20 monoblocks), Cyrus Brenneman has sought to overcome these traditional shortcomings of SE designs. In doing so he has blazed a new trail in SE amplification by incorporating an innovative cathode follower output stage. Although a rare beast, such a stage is occasionally seen in high-quality preamplifiers where its low-output impedance and inherent linearity makes it an excellent line driver.

And now, with 100% negative feedback by voltage in output stage, they will claim that their apparatus contains no damned dirty feedback producing brightest lows and smoothest highs through the whole olfactory palitra right in the midle of an elevated soundstage.

I played with tubes and gave up the idea because transistor followers loaded by converters of voltage to current are the best I can think currently about, both sonically and to satisfy requirements of people crazy on measurements.
Nothing in the universe is perfect. The ideal things are the ones that are most optimal. Optimization criteria, what matters. When I hear "No Compromise Design", I want to take a sledgehammer and test how impact-proof it is.
Old 28th January 2007, 10:44 PM   #14
Miles Prower is offline Miles Prower  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Wavebourn
And now, with 100% negative feedback by voltage in output stage, they will claim that their apparatus contains no damned dirty feedback producing brightest lows and smoothest highs through the whole olfactory palitra right in the midle of an elevated soundstage.
You gotta learn to STFU, you're gonna blow the whole deal.
Old 29th January 2007, 04:53 AM   #15
Wavebourn is offline Wavebourn  United States
Designer & Technologist
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Miles Prower

You gotta learn to STFU, you're gonna blow the whole deal.
What is STFU, a kind of hypnotic language?
Nothing in the universe is perfect. The ideal things are the ones that are most optimal. Optimization criteria, what matters. When I hear "No Compromise Design", I want to take a sledgehammer and test how impact-proof it is.
Old 29th January 2007, 05:32 AM   #16
Miles Prower is offline Miles Prower  United States
diyAudio Member

You should know, after all, it's part of your icon:

http://i11.tinypic.com/2dvk19w.jpg

Old WW II poster.

Why don't we use output tubes as cathode followers?Hide this!Advertise here!