• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Identifying an unknown tube

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hope someone can help. I recently purchased a pair of rare (50 pairs made) Antony Michaelson mono tube amps (Chronos). There are 2 tubes on the input/driver board. One is a 12AT7 and the other is an unknown GE brand. This tube is slightly taller and has 2 grid plates at the top with no halo. Is there a way to identify this tube with no markings? A third part suggested it is a 12BH7, but how can I be sure? thanks in advance for any info, Rispoli

thanks for the responses so far. I have included the best picture I could given the byte size limitation. Perhaps this will look familiar to someone....

Attachments

• dscf0018a.jpg
    dscf0018a.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 430
GE tubes usually have a large etched number... occasionally faint, but pretty durable. 12BH7 or 6CG7 seems most likely, but 6829 and 6414 are tall like that too... pinouts are same as 12BH7, but heater current is different.

Bring one over, and I'll plug it into my tester. I live in Macedon, work in Henrietta... not far from you.

That tube looks exactly like the 12AZ7N that Angela is selling. You'll find lots of 10 of them for sale on eBay.

If it really is a 12AZ7N, there's a vague reference to it here:
http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=bottlehead&n=68891

I've found it very difficult to turn up much info on this tube. I can't figure out if it is most like a 12AZ7, a 12AT7, or a 12AV7.

Here's a couple photos of one of the tubes from the lot of 10 I bought. Does your tube look like this? It appears to have a D shaped getter. There are no identification markings of any kind on the tube.

By the way, one of mine has a tiny piece of glass running around loose inside.

AZ=AT with improved Heater-Cathode voltage.

At least thats what Zobsky told me bout an AZ
that I had given to him for troubleshooting his
circuit (originally with an AT) that had oscillation.
Turns out the tube had nothing to do with it...

Its a fine substitute, use it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.