• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

I coined the phrase HIGH VIVIDITY, to differentiate our amps from High Fidelity ones

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I coined the phrase HIGH VIVIDITY, to differenciate our amps from High fidelity ones

Hi, people,
I coined the phrase HIGH VIVIDITY and I encourage DIYer's to use it. How do you think? Feedbacks are welcome. I searched in google for the phrase and I have exactly 5 hits, two were in one instance to describe people, three were in one instance to describe imaging inks.

Take a look at http://www.highvividity.com

Best,
vax, 9000

If you try to write (TM) you need to write "™" or "™". Not "&trade".

The page is also very slow and I got an error message, "page can't be shown" or something such rubbish, and had to refresh the page. I don't know if the latter has to do with me now using IE7. Installed it yesterday.

Edit/re-edit: Ignore my post. I just got "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" elsewhere. It seems IE7 is screwing things up. I'm an idiot. I feared this, yet installed it. I hate having to use system restore. I'm so mad, at Microsoft and my own stupidity.

Thank you. I have changed the TM part to plain text. Firefox on fedora 5 has no problem to show the page, but konqueror has problem with the TM part. I don't have IE7 so I can't tell whether it is OK now. Godaddy pastes some ad on top of the page, and that could be problematic too. Anyway, I paste the content of the one page website below,

start quote
HIGH VIVIDITY(TM) , not High Fidelity!
The phrase HIGH VIVIDITY(TM) is born because we DIY's need a phrase to describe audio systems that give us vivid, ear-pleasant sound. High fidelity (HI-FI) would have been a proper phrase were it not trapped into the THD hole soon after it was born. The following experience is not unusual,

You got your high fidelity audio system. You were impressed by the 0.0001% THD. You listened to it. You were disappointed.

You heard of the directly heated triode / single ended (DHT SE) phenomenal. You made one SE amp with DHT. The sound was so vivid, pleasant, You would never look back.

Congratulations! You got a HIGH VIVIDITY(TM) audio system, not a high fidelity one!

I encourage all we DIY's to use the phrase HIGH VIVIDITY(TM) for our DHT SE amps. If we widely use the phrase, it becomes generic and in public domain permanently.
end quote

phn said:
If you try to write (TM) you need to write """ or "™". Not "&trade".

In the UK at least, I'm pretty sure that sticking a TM symbol after a piece of text or a word has no validity in law - the trademark must be registered with the relevent authority - I just asked one of our in-house lawyers about this, and they concurred. UK Patents office regarding Trade Marks
Copyright, OTOH, is a completely different issue, and may simply be implied even if not explicitly claimed.

The page is also very slow and I got an error message, "page can't be shown" or something such rubbish, and had to refresh the page. I don't know if the latter has to do with me now using IE7. Installed it yesterday.

All of my suppliers in the financial markets world are refusing to support IE7 at the moment - we are avoiding it like the plague...

The Wiki trademark page says in the US, a generic description (which HIGH VIVIDITY migh be categoried as) can not be registered as trademark.

But according to google search, nobody has used this phrase to describe tube sound. So it might not be generic yet, and might still be registerable. However, if we DIY's use it, and make it well known, well recognized, it becomes generic, and stays in the public domain -- nobody can register it as a trademark for audio products anymore.

This is a good thing (TM) and as a byproduct, I can enjoy "the creator of the phrase" title. :D :D :D

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'm not sure we really need another catch phrase to differentiate what we are doing, isn't it enough to indicate that we are crackpot audiophiles with in many cases a significant technical grounding designing and building things that sound way better than most anything we can (afford to) buy? ;)

I'd prefer avoiding the label and using something a little more descriptive that conveys the passion we feel and perhaps a little of the why.

I suppose if we must have a new label for what we do "High Vividity" certainly conveys something different and more vivid than High Fidelity, although I reserve that for only the very few devices that warrant it.. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.