• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

How much trickle current can fixed bias cathode batteries stand?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I blew up a set of AAA duracells by mistakenly connecting a VR tube between a pentode screen grid and cathode pin, pumping reverse current through the cells working in fixed bias between cathode and ground. :bigeyes:

My fault admittedly. I plan to connect the VR tube between the screen and ground next time. But I'd like to know how much trickle current regular cells can handle (my tubes are biased at around 25mA idle).

Thanks

zobsky said:
I blew up a set of AAA duracells by mistakenly connecting a VR tube between a pentode screen grid and cathode pin, pumping reverse current through the cells working in fixed bias between cathode and ground. :bigeyes:

My fault admittedly. I plan to connect the VR tube between the screen and ground next time. But I'd like to know how much trickle current regular cells can handle (my tubes are biased at around 25mA idle).

Thanks

Do you mean they will sustain an anode current when could not sustain a grid one? :bigeyes:

Did not you think of a cheap PNP transistor with collector on the ground, and a Zener between base and collector? Your chassis can work part time as a good enough heatsync... ;)

Thanks, I picked up a bunch of NiMh AA cells this evening. I plan to solder them in tomorrow. They are rated at 2000mAh, so using the "rule of max trickle current less than 1/10 x mAh", they should be able to survive the 20 - 25 mA of idle current (the batteries are in a cool part of the chassis, so I'm not worried about heat in this case)

Trickle charge is a lot less than 0.1C that rate is the SLOW CHARGING RATE of a battery. If I'm not mistaken NiMH don't like trickle charge much at any rate. certainly 0.1C is too high. I'd Google Nickel Metal Hydride cells and see what is recommended for standby service. That is closer to what you are doing. It isn't cyclic service.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.