• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Drawbacks of Parafeed?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was so sure that this name would have been told to me, right now in the next post.
Yes, I do have heard of him. A very good salesman, but he's riding a dead horse.

And he may find enough people who don't know how any good audio transformer is being made. Every day, someone is waking up and decides to buy an output transformer. Some of them, those who are uninformed and believing his sermons, will buy his transformers. But for the informed people with knowledge, this is way out of their mind. And with more than one good reasons, in practice, not written in clever marketing books.

Sure, you know everything and are informed and yet you ask where to buy a choke! LOL :Pinoc:

The air gap does compensate for core deficiency by reducing permeability and making the hysteresis loop thin and linear within the range of use. That's why the size increases for a given application.

It does not. Core material is of primary importance, low density being its primary characteristic.

The rest of what you write about impedance vanishing etc.. it's total non-sense.

The DC component creates a nearly zero impedance short circuit.

Finally you are still neglecting that capacitors have similar issues as well and are almost invariably overlooked and there is an additional imperfect plate load.

I am not. Capacitors introduce distortion and signal losses, but the capacitorless push-pull topology produces much worse distortion and much more signal losses, stemming from the 180 degree phase relationship which requires the presence of two equal and oppositely directed forces in a parallel alignment to arise.
However, the plate choke is not a nice thing.

Do you know Menno van der Veen's name?

The fact remains.

It does not. Core material is of primary importance, low density being its primary characteristic.
Yes the quality is important. I have never said it isn't. The type of material it depends on the way one designs the transformer and the application. For the output transformer high grade FeSi is perfectly adequate. If you use another material that has lower loss its footprint will be present on the entire audio band while for Fe-Si it won't and AIR, the most linear material, will take over roughly in the upper bass - low midrange region....it's a choice.

The DC component creates a nearly zero impedance short circuit.
And so??

I am not. Capacitors introduce distortion and signal losses, but the capacitorless push-pull topology produces much worse distortion and much more signal losses, stemming from the 180 degree phase relationship which requires the presence of two equal and oppositely directed forces in a parallel alignment to arise.
Really? I don't think so. Driving the transformer from both sides with a center tap is not the same thing as driving as gapless transformer is SE. And my PP transformers also have a small airgap to account for DC unbalance as most top quality commercial designs....and for PP I also find some exotic materials convenient, like Radiometal for example. As said above it's just about different design.

Last edited:
The fact remains.

Of course, it can be done with a toroid core. Western Electric did it many decades before others have been trying to sell it as their own brainwork. And with a good results, for telephone line repeaters.

But were talking high end audio here, not telephone repeaters from the early century.
There are tube amps, that use ordinary power transformers for output. And that can be done and sound good, too.
But if I should give you a hint, between something that is working and something that is working top notch is a difference like the earth to the moon. And thats what I'm talking about when it comes to advanced winding techniques that couldn't be applied to any toroid in the world. Simply because of its geometry.

Thats totally nonsense, becaue a transformer is a physical item that uses magnetism as a main function. Therefore the physical rules can be applied to it. In those working principle formulas there are dimensions everywhere to find.

If you want to make a toroid to a rectangular core you will fail.

And there is no argument against it valuable.

Maybe you've heard or read that interleaved winding is oh so important.
Should I tell you whats most important in sound of transformers? Its the core!
And no interleaved winding. You can get cheap transformers with cheap cores and heavy interleaved winding.
Do they have high quality? No. Because they are still cheap transformers.
Interleaved winding can any machine do today and yesterday for very cheap money.

Please come back if you have facts to tell instead paroles that you read in magzines about the best transformers.

Last edited:
Thats totally nonsense, becaue a transformer is a physical item that uses magnetism as a main function. Therefore the physical rules can be applied to it. In those working principle formulas there are dimensions everywhere to find.

If you want to make a toroid to a rectangular core you will fail.

And there is no argument against it valuable.

Maybe you've heard or read that interleaved winding is oh so important.
Should I tell you whats most important in sound of transformers? Its the core!
And no interleaved winding. You can get cheap transformers with cheap cores and heavy interleaved winding.
Do they have high quality? No. Because they are still cheap transformers.
Interleaved winding can any machine do today and yesterday for very cheap money.

Please come back if you have facts to tell instead paroles that you read in magzines about the best transformers.

Very cheap talk ... you don't hear the core but what windings can be made on it :p Now cores have snake oil like capacitors and so on

we have a different interpretation of the situation but that is normal.

There are tube amps, that use ordinary power transformers for output. And that can be done and sound good, too.

Yes. I have a couple of promising contenders on the list to be examined more closely, C-core with very thin and very high precision laminations. One of them is actually German made.

Sorry, I don't think they are fine. They are always low quality, inherent by their design approach. No one until today has managed to make proper windings on a toroid core. And by proper windings I mean layer wound transformers. Its impossible with toroid transformers.

Nope. Its possible to make layered toroidal PP or SE, and on picture one of prototypes of my own design (push-pull 60W UL + CFB).

In fact, there are are 2 types of sectioning toroidal winding, linear-like and segmented disk.

Plitron made high-quality toroidal stuff in the past, don't know for today. At least 2 engineers in Russia managed to develop very good design, yet they make them in small quantity for their friend circle and don't bother to turn into profitable business.

As for my design, due to the high cost of manufacturing multiple complex prototypes required for fine-tuning on 3rd party factory I dropped this effort.

Attachments

• _DSF0261.resized.JPG
    _DSF0261.resized.JPG
    795.7 KB · Views: 183
Its not difficult to make a layered winding on any toroid. Problem is, how is that looking. And I can show you in a pic, how it's look like.

Do you see the spaces on the rings outer structure that are the logical result of winding wire on a clossed loop structure? With those faults in the winding structure, some advanced winding methods are impossible to perform.

That doesn't mean that this transformer couldn't work in practise, but it will never perform top notch.
And thats the reason, why they aren't being used in high end.
A very simple phsysical problem.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Its not difficult to make a layered winding on any toroid. Problem is, how is that looking. And I can show you in a pic, how it's look like.

Do you see the spaces on the rings outer structure that are the logical result of winding wire on a clossed loop structure? With those faults in the winding structure, some advanced winding methods are impossible to perform.

That doesn't mean that this transformer couldn't work in practise, but it will never perform top notch.

How is looking is really un-interesting, especially because it will be wrapped and enclosed....
Unlike the other types of cores the toroid requirements on the winding is less demanding in terms of sectioning. In theory the magnetic field is all confined inside the turns, in practice it is not true but the leakage flux is way smaller than any other type provided that the turns are wound densely and uniformly along the perimeter. Small gaps will remain but overall this will not lead to any catastrophe and actually can provide the same or even better bandwidth than other types.
That's the "simple" physics.....
A toroidal transformer with 150KHz-to-200KHz bandwidth (plus all the other top specs) like the Plitron is top notch.

You don't seem to know much about toroidal transformers but your opinions sound rock solid :D That's the internet .
Of course the coupling is much better in a toroidal transformer so you don't need those "advanced winding methodes" in the first place .
But even this is debatable ... if can or can't be done just because the turns are not parallel .

Last edited:
At some point you just need to accept the fact that air gap, material property and topology exist as separate entities, making their own impact. The core is the essence of the transformer, decisively determining transfer characteristics. The external series resistance (air gap) doesn`t increase the internal resistance of the core material and doesn`t lower its density, high resistance and low density being qualities of merit. .

The ungapped toroidal transformer is designed for maximum efficiency, hence exhibits minimum resistance, minimum bandwidth, maximum amplitude and maximum distortion. High permeability cores saturate pretty quickly, produce plenty of nasty resonant, high frequency spikes and easily generate DC from AC or from signal voltage. Push-pull operation exacerbates the already precarious situation. According to the standard measure of inductor Q factor defined in terms of loss, and signal integrity left out of consideration, the toroidal transformer ranks the highest.

That are your ideas ... I don't accept such non sense as "high resistance " is better , by the way it's called reluctance for magnetic materials . You hear what windings can be made on a core ( better or worse because of properties and skill ) , not the core itself .

And if such thing would be true some praise Amorphous Double C Core, which are pretty similar with toroids ... with "low resistance and I bet "high density "
Just snake oil and audiophile ( non technical ) ******** censored word .

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.