• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Will this work for an EL84 push pull?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
will this work for a EL84 push pull?

The EL84/6Bq5 has low drive requirements. Would something like this work well (theoretically) since I have all the tubes and transformers lying around:

[CD player]-->[low mu triode (eg. 12B4A with myu of 6)] -->[coupling cap]-->[cinemag CMLI-15/15B] --> [EL84 push-pull]-->[OPT]

cinemag transformer link: http://www.cinemag.biz/line_input/CMLI-15-15B.pdf

I'm not sure what the allowable signal voltage swing and current capabilities are with this transformer, despite looking at the spec sheets (or maybe I don't understand how to translate insertion loss and input level in dB to volts :) ).

Thanks

If that were my pile of parts I'ld be inclined to investigate putting the Cinemag at the very front, doubling out the 12B4As and maybe running them fixed bias. BTW, I don't see a secondary centre tap on that model, how would use it as a phase splitter?

rdf said:
If that were my pile of parts I'ld be inclined to investigate putting the Cinemag at the very front, doubling out the 12B4As and maybe running them fixed bias. BTW, I don't see a secondary centre tap on that model, how would use it as a phase splitter?

Your suggestion is similar to a suggestion SY had for me a long time ago
( http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=315504#post315504 ) . Now that I'm planning an easier to drive push pull project, I was wondering whether using the transformer after the input tube will work.

Re. phase splitting, ... I think a resistive divider was reccomended (see post linked )

P.S. don't know if this is obvious, .. but essentially, the big goal is to see if I can build an optimal 2 stage push pull amp, ..hence the choice of the (relatively easy to drive) EL84 as the power tube and the 12B4A (or other suitable tube) as a high current input / driver.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.