• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

The sound of parts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sy, I'll send you a sample circuit board with built up followers and PS for 2 channels. An assortment of caps will be included. I have thousands of caps (most of questionable worth).

Don't look for my care package untill after the first of the year. I'll get ahold of you for your address when I'm ready to ship.

Later
Bruce

HDTVman
I do think we should use multiple "listerner testers". If Dorkus wants to take three months to deside if he hears a difference thats fine
If the testing will be in NY, it should be fairly easy to coordinate several pairs of ears t the effort. Dorkus, Joel and myself are probably just a subway ride away from each other. Conversely, if no one feels like hosting, the equipment can easily be moved and tested on several systems.

Nania I'm open to your suggestion. When the test is ready to start I will put out a call for volunteers. A complete discription of the test system/s is a must. The variables are going to cause us problems as it is. Sy has graciously aggreed to administer the test so I leave it to him to tell us how it should be done.

Later
Bruce

Bruce, I'm envisioning it as follows: I build a sealed unit with a rotary switch. Two positions of the switch are identified as the "good" and "crummy" passives. The other positions are randomized. It is the job of the test subject to try to identify which positions are the "good" and which are the "crummy." The subject has all the time he wants, can bring friends over, can do anything except open the box (I'll try to make that cheat-proof, with the aid of a magician friend) or (on his honor) do some sort of measurement.

When the subject is ready, he will submit his score sheet to the person that will be designated as scorer (I'll give that person the key). The box will then be sent back to me, and I'll rerandomize it for the next subject. And the designated scorer will post the results.

Simple stuff, really.

not at all joel, if you get different results from us we'll respect your opinion. we're in absolutely no position to criticize much less debunk you observations when we're all in the same room listening to the same thing together. it'll be a fun experiment i thing. i volunteer my pad for listening sessions - i'm right in midtown (52nd and 8th ave), not far from every train station and major subway line in the city. besides doing this infernal test we can kick back and enjoy some tunes - that is what this hobby is for anyway isn't it??? :p

Joel, you are welcome to take part in this if you so desire. Any one that is willing to give an honest opinion is welcome as far as I'm concerned. :judge:

(joke alert)Even if he is deaf in one ear and just can't hear out of the other one.(end joke alert) :joker:

Sorry I just couldn't help myself. That was indeed ment in jest. Please take it that way.

Later
Bruce :geezer:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.