• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

My experience: the cheap punch set VS Greenlee punch

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is my experience.

I bought the cheap punch set from ebay. It has two bolts, 4 dies and 4 nuts. From the photo I guess it is the same set as that from HaborFreight. I punched six 7/8" holes and three 1 3/32" holes on a electric break box. The bolt used with the 7/8" punch was worn to a point that the nut was not straight with the die, and when I was punching the 7th hole the nuts stuck on the edge of the die. I did not notice and I kept turning the bolt. I heard a big sound and the bolt was broken into two pieces.

The bolt used with the 1 3/32" punch was severely worn after three holes. Fortunately I need only 3 big holes for my EL34 amp. I guess it may be able to punch another 3 holes before it dies.

I could not wait 1 week to buy on ebay, so I went to home depot and bought a 0.89mm(roughly 7/8") punch with $30. It is very good. I needed less force to punch the same break box. After 4 holes I observed the bolt and there was no sign of wearing.

This is my experience that might be useful to you guys. I guess the much better cutting edge design is the reason why less force is needed with GreenLee. Maybe the bolt quality is higher too. It well worths the price.

Edit: The break box is made of 1/16" steel sheet. It is the soft type steel often seen with break boxes, not hard steel or stainless steel.

Attachments

• dscn6002.jpg
    dscn6002.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 363
I just checked the Harbor Freight knockout punch set I got and it does indeed have too much slack in the bolt threads. I have used them for a few holes in aluminum and thin steel (baking pans) so far without problem, but looks like they will likely fail on something heavier. I just tried some Greenlee bolts in them, but they do not fit. Wrong thread pitch, so no help there. Its a shame the H-F knockouts aren't made right. I think I will try using a smaller punch (backwards) as a security nut behind a bigger punch, next time I use them, to distribute the forces.

Only other option I can think of would be to bore out the punch thread and use the Greenlee bolt with a big nut behind the punch. (Mouser sells spare Greenlee bolts by the way. $20 for the big ones. Even the Greenlee's break bolts occasionally, but I never had the thread strip out on them.) Likely need a tungsten carbide boring bar to machine the hardened steel punch though.

Another problem with the H-F knockout punch design is that it has four points on the punches, this means 8 cuts occuring in the sheet metal simultaneously (very high forces required). The Greenlees only use two points and they also have a newer (and even more absurdly expensive) design that uses a spiral cutter with only one cutting point. Finally, the H-F kockout punches are not really the right sizes needed for tube sockets anyway (conduit punches).

Don

Greenlee punches

I've got Greenlee punches my dad got for me when I was a ham in the 1960s plus I've bought used Greenlee punches at swap meets that look like they came from the 1930s. They all work great, and I never have had to sharpen them. I do occasionally put new grease on the threads and bearing surfaces. I mostly punch aluminum, but have used them on soft steel, too.

A friend turned me on to something new, which works much better than punches: the "Rotabroach". This is a drill-type tool with changeable cutters than comes in sizes from 5/16" to 3/4". My friend got it from Sanp-On, but they should be available other places, too. They make very smooth holes quite easily. I still use the Greenlee punches for the larger sizes.

- John

Rotabroach?
I assume you mean these things:
http://www.rotabroach.co.uk/cutters/opening.htm

They do look nice. But they are even more expensive than the outrageous Greenlee prices.
Also it appears that they do not have 3 flats on the shank for a standard drill press chuck (I see a set screw type flat in their picture, may only fit their own special drill presses). And it will take a strong drill press to drive them for the bigger diameters (up to 60 mm, 16 cutting edges).

For up to 3/4 inch I would suggest using stepped drill bits. Some cheap titanium coated ones here:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200313494_200313494

H-F sells them even cheaper, I haven't tried theirs yet, (plastic?)

Don

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.