• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

The Red Light District - another PP EL84 amp

The Red Light District- another pp EL84 amp

I've got a more complete write-up appearing in Bas Horneman's diy magazine, but wanted to put up some schematics for those who want to get a head start. It's easy to build, sounds great, and is a good answer for the common question, "Does anyone know a good 15W amp I can build...?"

First, the basic signal circuitry. Input stage is ECC81 (preferably JJ). Output stage is EL84 (again, JJ is a good choice).

Attachments

• red light district signal circuit.gif
    red light district signal circuit.gif
    12.1 KB · Views: 17,755
The power supply. B+1 is for the output stage and runs 300-350V. The regulator is for the screens (idle current adjustment) and runs from 250-300V. Adjust idle current to 85mA per EL84 pair. B+2 is for the driver stage and is 350-400V.

Attachments

• red light district power supply.gif
    red light district power supply.gif
    13.9 KB · Views: 15,518
and for the more "creative & artistic" you could change a couple of the red led's for another colour and spell something out... EL 84 POWER
or whatever floats your boat. Why worry about a few milliamps one way or the other for the biasing, whats the worst that could happen?
It may stop working, distort, a runaway tube...
:devilr:

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Even with 84 LEDs between the channels, you need five more LEDs to do the job. No great problem; use the extra five in the vertical line on the left character and power them from somewhere else...

Edit: Just realised I'd made an error - it actually needs eight extra LEDs. Perhaps the four either side of the left hand character?

Attachments

• yoshiwara.gif
    yoshiwara.gif
    36.3 KB · Views: 6,056