• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

The Red Light District - another PP EL84 amp

I am brain-challenged for PCB design, so that will have to be someone else. I think Jack Walton did a design a few years back, but it was too expensive because of the size.

The bigger version keeps getting pushed back in my queue. I wish I had more lab time...

I had the design in Ultiboard, didn't seem much interest. Lemme see what I can work up again.

ok thats cool but what voltage should i be seeing at the cathode of the final's ?

Forgot to mention i am using a 6H*6 instead of the el84 seem to be similar, i think maybe i'am wrong neebie ere .

i'am seeing about +9.38v at the cathodes 9.6v across 1 resistor on the led array , screen reg voltage 290v and plate current is 8.26mA .

P.S

ok ,i have removed the led array from the cathode , and put in place a positive voltage supply of around 7v or so on the cathode , plate went up to 44mA and screen voltage holding at to 290 , could the the led array be at fault here seems it could may i'am wrong:confused:

Forgot to mention i am using a 6H*6 instead of the el84 seem to be similar, i think maybe i'am wrong neebie ere

cheers
den

Last edited:
You can test the arrays if you have a power supply. Put a resistor in series sized to run 20mA or so, and see if they light up. For example, if you have a 48V supply available and your array is 5 LEDs in series, the drop across the LEDs will be about 8.5V, so the series resistor should be R = V/I = (48 - 8.5)/.02 = 2k or thereabouts.

Remember that here, unlike Zeners, we forward bias!

Go to https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/rkU0U4LT pay them $17 and in about 3 weeks you'll get 3 of these at your door. This is untested, but it is hard to imagine what could go wrong.

thumb_i.png
That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

Hi Sy

i think i have made it work, it has something to do with the grounds from my power to the ground in the centre of the 250k resistor , when psu to centre of the 250k is connected a small amount current is taken by the plate , but when you remove the ground from 250k divider the current start to flow to the plate .COULD IT MY POWER SUPPLY it is an old Radford power pack 300v@100mA..

Still learning
cheers
den

Hi All,
Yesterday I set up the 400 V supply to the 12AT7. 350 V Txr to Bridge to CLC (100 uf/9 H/100uf) into a 40K dummy load. I was getting 450 volts, so I put a 3300 ohm resistor in after the bridge. This brought the voltage down to 390.

My problem is when I model this in PSUD2, it takes 5 seconds to reach voltage. See attached photo. Is this OK, or what should I change.

Thanks,
Doug
PSUD2 400 V.jpg