• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

VR Tubes as Cathode Bias of 2A3 SRPP Loftin-White

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
See attached the circuit diagram of 6SL7 SRPP -> 2A3 S.E. Lotfin-White power amplifier.

Can I change the cathode bias of 2A3 from resistor chain to two 0D3 (each bypassed with 20 nf capacitor) connected in parallel? Can I delete the 100uf cathode bypass capacitor? Is the noise generated by the 0D3 a problem? What will be the pros and cons of the modified design?

Any advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• 2a3_srpp_lw.jpg
    2a3_srpp_lw.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 678
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
snoopyma said:
See attached the circuit diagram of 6SL7 SRPP -> 2A3 S.E. Lotfin-White power amplifier.

Can I change the cathode bias of 2A3 from resistor chain to two 0D3 (each bypassed with 20 nf capacitor) connected in parallel? Can I delete the 100uf cathode bypass capacitor? Is the noise generated by the 0D3 a problem? What will be the pros and cons of the modified design?

Any advice is appreciated.

- 20nF is too much ;always start in nano range,not dozens of nano;

- yes-you must delete 100uF cap

- you also need series resistor (value ? ) for each gas toob,for ensuring current sharing between toobz

- remember that you need at least 5mA for igniting and proper work of OD3; max current per tube is 40mA ; be sure that you know what's happening in every moment ,starting from powering up,to working conditions.....

after all that, let's hope that noise induced with gas toobz will be small enough ;I think that it will be ;)

Have tried out this idea but on a much smaller scale see here Results were ok but nothing special although there were no problems with stability.

You would have problems scaling this up to work with a 2a3 since most VR tubes have a limit of about 40ma and don't like being run in parallel. If you can get your hands on a couple of these monsters then you might be in business.

good luck

Re: Loftin-White without cathode bias

Toropkin said:

Hi Toropkin,

Thank you very much for your reply. I read the circuit that you supplied with great interests. It appears that the circuit is simple and making sense. I have used web translation software to translate it to English, but are still difficult to read. Can you elaborate more as I cannot understand "the composition of "upper" BP, something less than 150mf is not recommended" as mentioned on the website.

Do I have to use two separate high voltage power supplies or a combined power supply with centre tapping?

Thanks.

Best Regards,
T.C. MA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.