• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

2 tube questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A couple questions for the tube gang: I have a number of 6AS5 and 6CU5 tubes on hand. They're evidently electrically interchangeable. Anyone aware of any amp circuits that could utilize these beam power tubes? I'd like to tinker.
Then: there's a couple of guys over on qth.com (ham radio board) searching for some oddball tubes: one guy's looking for 6HU8s..a dual pentode, the other's on the hunt for 6KH8s...a triode/dual power pentode combo. Anyone here able to help?

RES shows a price of $37 for the 6HU8/ELL80. $60 is RES' price for the 6KH8/ECLL800.

6AS5 Data Sheet
6CU5 Data Sheet

Those "low" voltage 7 pin mini O/P types might make a reasonable PP amp. Perhaps Hammond 125E O/P trafos would work. Roll the deep bass off at the I/P. Loop NFB is a must in pentode mode to get an acceptable damping factor. Bridge rectifying the O/P of a 1:1 isolation trafo would give you a suitable B+ rail.

Oh yeah, pentodes work best with regulated screen grid B+. I don't know if a VR75 will "strike" on the B+ rail described above. You might have to use Zener SS diodes.

6as5

I have spent many the hour searching the web for schematics and other arcane tube info, hoping to learn by osmosis rather than work. I recall seeing one screen where someone said that the 6as5 was the worst sounding tube he had ever encountered. I think it was triode strapped.

That hasn't been my experience. I used the Bill Pearl voodoo method to tie the screen to the plate with diodes, electrolytic capacitors and a resistor or two. (There's another thread that dismisses the possibility that the idea can be of any value. Maybe. It sounds good to me.)

The amp sounds great. I use old Japanese full-range efficient speakers, and I can listen to it for hours. (The preamp is even more heretical, using the triode section of a 6x8, which is also generally characterized as useless.)

I think I have a few 6cu5s laying around--if they are essentially the same tube, then I think I will give them a try

Thanks for the post.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.