• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Odd's n Ends Revisited 6V6 SE amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone built the amp in 9/05 Audio Express by Graham Dicker. It is a 6V6 SE amp driven by a 12AX7 with potentiometers of 5k for the driver cathode and 1meg for the anode. I built it, because it seemed like a good way for a relative newbie to look at how these variables effect the sound. I used an old 5k SE OPT from a Curtis Mathis hi-fi. Sounds ok, and varying the cathode seemed to have lots more effect than varying the load. I used a cheapie Elenco function generator and an old Hewlett Packard scope to see the output results into an 8 ohm resistor. The amp did not have anything close to a square wave output an any freguency from 100 to 10khz. But when I added a feedback resistor of 6.8k bypassed by a 100pf cap I could get square wave out without too much "ringing?". Is square wave output indicative of anything relative? Or is it not worth chasing down?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.