• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

12AX7 heater wiring? Series / parallel?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I want to connect a 12ax7 in to an existing tube amp, but need some help with the heater wiring.

The transformer i am using has two 6.3v leads , but no central tap.
That is one wire goes straight to the chassis and the other to the heaters of the other tubes.

all the diagrams i've seen have pins 4 & 5 connected together connected to one heater lead and pin 9 connected to another heater lead, with a transformer that has a center tap grounded for the 6.3 v tap of the transformer.

I have a few old radiograms that have 12ax7's in them, with the same kind of transformer in them. I can't clearly see whats going on in them... but they are ordinary 12ax7( ( have swapped in and out tubes) not 12ax7A's which can be wired in series. Normal 12ax7's can only be wired in parallel?

can anyone help to shed some light ( on heater) for me ?

The 12AX7 heater can be wired for either:

a) 12.6 volts, filaments in series, 4 and 5 connected to filament transformer
b) 6.3 volts, filaments in parallel, 4 and 5 tied together, and 9 connected to filament transformer

the difference is in the current draw, as parallel connection normally draws twice the current.

for a filament transformer without a center tap, you can fake the center tap. see post #189 in this thread - http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68267&perpage=10&pagenumber=19

it also shows how to elevate the heater above ground in situations that need it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.